Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Attn- Rocky Mountain Man
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

I hope you are going to post a report about your trip to Quinte. Given the distance that you had to come, I am hoping that all went well and that you got to experience a bit of the ice during what has been an unpredicatable Quinte icefishing season.

Regards
Don Stokes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:22 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Hi Don. Rocky Mountain Man already told us about his trip. To see his comments go to a post by him, click on profile, + click on all posts by him. Sounds like they had a good outing. The ice here is bad. Lots of open water up by Foresters Island. Need a prolonged cold snap to put anything solid under my feet. Lousy weather for making ice. Like a roller coaster, up + down, with way to much up. Oh well, maybe February will be more ice fisherman friendly.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:43 am 
Walleye

We arrived early Saturday, Jan. 7 and got situated and gear together. Went out to "Pete's Point" some 200-plus yards to the north and east of the shoreline. Several other locals headed out as well. We caught fish, the biggest about 9 lbs., but we were just getting started.

Fished the morning and evening bites the remainder of the week, departing early Thursday, Jan. 12. Five guys fishing 4.5 days caught 80 fish, the biggest just over 11 lbs. (though I question those store-bought scales) and 31-plus inches. Actually caught two in that range that we brought home to be mounted. Lots of 8-, 9- and 10-pounders that all went back into the Bay, along w/ lots of other smaller fish. We kept a handful for a fish fry one night, but these "river" walleyes don't taste as good as some of Ontario's other lake walleyes.

We enjoyed the excellent services of Hardwater Walleye as our guide. Those from Belleville know him well. There's no one better for fishing knowledge, know-how on where to go, and all-around great sport. He knew we knew how to fish, so he spent his time enlightening us w/ stories and tips garnered from nearly 40 years of fishing the Bay. And, he made us laugh. It was one of the most memorable trips and I'll be posting some of the pictures soon.

As for the ice, it was fine wherever we went, but caution was the key word throughout our trip. Towards the end, as the temps warmed and the snow melted on top, the ice was quickly becoming a liability. We knew we had timed our trip well, and the good Lord blessed us with favorable weather, fishing and friends.

I won't give away all our secrets on where we fished exactly and what we used, in deference to Hardwater Walleye, and the fact that we will be back next year ... but for the locals and those who fish the Bay more than I wish I could ... you have a wonderful fishery. My hope and prayers are ya'll take care of it because over-fishing and keeping everything that comes out of those waters will quickly destroy the absolutely incredible fishing that we experienced. Having said this, I was amazed at how many of the locals kept everything they caught. Catch and release really needs to be practiced if one will not be consuming the fish.

Finally, as an American Yank, I can say you Canadians are some of the finest people I've ever met, eh. Glad you are our neighbors. Best of luck to all those who fish Quinte, but above all else ... be safe. There's always tomorrow.

banner ad
 Post subject: Walleye
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:01 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey RMM
Glad you had a good time after coming the distance. Your right about your guide, the best. Im glad you appreciate our fishery and area. I have alwasy gotten along well with americans and find they are no different from us.

True anglers appreciate a good fishery where ever they go. :) :)

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:33 pm 
Walleye Angler

That is good to hear you had a nice time Rocky Mountain Man. By chance have you fished for goldens in your neck of the woods. (I am located just east of Vancouver BC, with work related duties but call the Quinte area home). Thanks for taking a peek and responding.

PS I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about locals...."and other" keeping far too many fish.

Don Stokes

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:44 pm 
Walleye

I have fished for the eyes out of one of Denver metro area's hottest fishery - Chatfield Reservoir. There are some brutes, but there is a ton of baitfish in the reservoir (primarily shad) that coaxing them to a bite is difficult. And, the reservoir is fairly large, so one needs a boat. Spring is the best time, though when there is ice (we haven't had any for two years running now) quite a few are caught. In the summer, forget about it. The reservoir, because of its proximity to the metro area, is chock full of pleasure boaters, personal watercraft and the like.

I'll hopefully be in Vancouver in May for a hockey tournament. My son plays on a AAA team here. He's itching to go to BoQ next year, though.

banner ad
banner ad