Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:36 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hi y'all,

I just wanted to start ONE thread where we could put our information together about how and where to launch our boats as the ice approaches.

I am a bit partisan here as it is my intention to try fishing tomorrow [Saturday] with my dad! We left our boat in Picton [out of the water!], and it's either give it a shot tomorrow, or else just give up and go pick up the boat sometime later.

Here's the stuff I've gathered so far:

On Wednesday December 7 Dan Elliot wrote:
"I spoke with the Glenora fisheries station and it was open there. No ice and the snow is pretty much gone. It is suppose to be cold tonight so I am not going to advise you one way or the other. Call the fisheries station in the morning before you come."

Dan - could you please supply us with this phone number?

On Friday December 9 jfneron wrote:
"We went to Picton Bay first, to discover that it was ALL frozen. Too bad. We then went to the Glenora Ferry ramp... ALL frozen.

Further on the bay, past the ferry toward Lake Ontario, we were able to see some open water and... hey, a boat was there!!!! We drove toward Kingston until we found a camping with a ramp giving access to the open water. There was 3 trailers there. YEEESSSSS!

I think that Adolphustown Park was the name of the place we went .... Not 100% sure but I think so."

Note that the report above is firsthand observation. Does anyone else know anything about the current status of the Adolphustown Launch? Thanks.

How about the Bath ramp?

Findr wrote:
"There is a launch just west of Bath, east of the L&A Generating Station. It is a 20 to 30 min. ride to fishing spots. The launch is steep with a steel mesh that is slippery, 4x4 would help."

Anyone know the status of the Bath ramp then?

Speaking of firsthand observation - Superdad! Where are you? Any change you could go take a look for us today [Friday] to find out what the scoop is?

Also on Friday December 9 steve-hamilton wrote:
"batcave and bath are both open as of today."

And on the same day in another thread steve-hamilton wrote:
"have been hearnig about this launch on the south shore of the reach? can i get some directions or information about it? my GPS chip doesn't show any launches East of Glenora, on the south shore. Thanks, Steve"

Steve, I am not trying to be a smart-ass here - honest, dude! - just trying to separate the hearsay from the firsthand observations. So I'm wondering how you know that the batcave launch is open [if you don't know where it is!] Is this a guess because the south side of the reach is still open water?

I have never been to the Batcave ramp. The only information I have on it comes from some PM's that roughrider sent me:

In a PM roughrider wrote:
"Yes, [it's] on the south shore. You take 49 south off 401, then 33 east towards the ferry, turn right just before the ferry, heading up hill to Lake On The Mountain. It's a 15-minute drive when you turn off 33. You are close to the ramp when the road you are traveling comes within 100 yards of the water. The sign for the ramp is on the right side of road, turn left and then right to the park. Look for 2 poles at the end of drive for ramp, large grass area, house on the right side of ramp. South wind will work great and I caught 9 in october during an EAST wind at this very spot, largest 12.5 pounds. roughrider out"

[I hope this isn't confidential information......] Roughrider refers to this ramp in the area of the Batcave as the Pringyer Ramp.

Anyway, that's all I know! Anything else you guys can add by late tonight will be greatly appreciated! Hope to get out fishing tomorrow [Saturday] with my dad!

Cheers,

Pete

Post subject: South Side Launch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:40 pm 
Goby

PM Rough Rider is correct in the location of this launch. However, the pier has been removed, has no lighting, and their is no protection from the wind and waves at this location (any W, N, NE, or NW winds will make launching and retrieval extremely diffifult). Also, the ramp is in very poor shape - the east side of the ramp has broken off (creating a good sized pothole) and be careful of backing your trailer off the end of the ramp (16-17 ft boats should be ok, larger boats are questionable)

Popia

Post subject: Pictures of the ramps...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:10 pm 
Walleye

Bay of Picton ramp on Thursday 8 dec 2005:

Glenora ferry ramp on Thursday 8 Dec 2005:

J.-F. Néron
fishchallenger charters
Brighton, ON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:08 pm 
Walleye Angler

STAY HOME!

I'll post more later [have to head out for supper] but you ain't gettin' in the water ANYWHERE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:35 pm 
Walleye Master

well, i dont like the sounds of that.

i guess i'll wait for your update after dinner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

Right, I'm back. All-you-can-eat sushi. No walleye, though....

My dad and I spoke on the phone last night. "I don't think there's a snowball's chance we'll get in tomorrow, so let's not bother going too early." He didn't get any argument from me. We met at 9am, and hit Mr. Burger in Oshawa for a couple of their kick-ass toasted westerns. You exit at Park Road, and it's just a seven-iron shot from [what appears to still be] Gagnon's and the now-defunct Barkley's. Their burgers are superb as well - highly recommended!

On to Picton we drove, passing through drifting snow blown by the 50+ kph west winds. Lake Consecon was open in the centre, giving us a bit of hope.

Picton Harbour was of course a skating rink, with the ice line well east of Merland's. We stopped briefly at the entrance to McFarland's Conservation Area [five or six km east of Picton on the south side] where there is a launch ramp, but the laneway was blocked by a snowplow pile.

Still free of our trailered boat we continued on to Glenora, and up the hill to Lake On The Mountain. The words of my late uncle Harry "Sandy" Sanderson, formerly a warrant officer with the RCAF in Trenton, echoed through my head: "There's a galldarn lake right on top of the gall-darn mountain...." Indeed there is! If you've never seen it, go take a look sometime! The west wind had whipped up the east end of the lake into three-foot breakers, and the surface of the lake is actually above the road - it's quite a view looking up to the water! Beneath us, plenty of open water around the ferry beckoned, flat as a millpond where it was sheltered by the high bluffs to the west.

We continued along the road to Prinyer's Cove, 18km past the ferry, and proceeded to drive right past the ramp without seeing it, so covered in snow was the place. Roughrider's landmark of the two white poles told us we were there - it's just before the clump of green mailboxes at the Y in the road. With six inches of snow on the ground, we weren't about to try going in. Besides, this far down Adolphustown Reach the winds had whipped the bay into a frenzy.

Back towards the ferry we went, passing a guy in a black Explorer trailing a red boat going the other direction. "I wonder if he's a website guy going to check out Prinyer's....."

I had one desperate notion. "Let's stop at Glenora Marine, and ask buddy if he'll launch our boat for us on his little launch ramp using his tractor." Buddy would have nothing to do with it. "The ramp is blocked off and closed for the season, I can't do it. Sorry."

Nah, I thought, it's not that you can't do it, but rather that you won't do it. In fairness it would have been a pain in the ass for him to have moved the thingy that he had blocking the ramp, but it was clear he had put it there to dissuade the likes of us. A true diehard fisherman would have understood that we had driven three hours for a chance to go in the water, that he was our one and only chance, and would have accomodated us. What can I say? Some people get it, and some people don't. I will say he's a fine mechanic, and when he worked on our 60hp Johnson the year before, he got the thing running better than it ever had.

Beyond the tip of his pretty-much-clear-of-snow boat ramp, the Bay of Quinte was flat in the lee of the shore and free of any ice whatsoever. Had I really wanted to go out and suffer more, I might have pushed him a bit. Then again, I doubt it would have done any good.

Back at McFarland's, we noticed that someone had driven through the snow blockage, so thought we'd drive down and have a look. We met a chap with a pickup truck who is a local fisherman, and had driven down with his two young daughters. It was obvious with our 2-wheel-drive van that we wouldn't be launching any boat here, either!

Thence began our mini-epic of trying to drive back up the very modestly-inclined slope to the road - easier said than done! It took a really good run and the two of us pushing while my dad drove, and with full-on sprint-pushing that left me foundering and gasping with crud-filled lungs from massive exertion in frigid air, my dad still only got halfway up the laneway before he slid to a halt on the virtually frictionless surface. Man!

A bit of shovelling, considerable sand and more than a little horking got the van enough traction to make it back to the highway. Seconds later buddy in the pickup slid up behind us. For the purpose of greater traction he had filled the back of his truck with snow and two girls, the latter who were giggling in merriment at their dad's expertise of having driven a quarter-mile uphill in reverse!

About this time, buddy in the Explorer showed up, with a printed copy of the very post you are now reading. "I'm 'Pass the Pitons' Pete. What's your user name?" I asked. "I just read, I rarely post." In internet parlance, we refer to such people as Lurkers. "My wife said to me yesterday, 'Hey - read the Quinte website - I know you've been dying for one last chance to go fishing, maybe you should go...' "

"Geez," I said, "if I had a wife with ideas like that, I might still be married!" It later occured to me that I might instead be dead. Perhaps Ron's wife had Inside Information and was sending the poor bugger to a certain frigid death. At least that's what my ex-wife would have been hoping for.

Ron kindly offered to let us join him in his boat should he actually get the thing in the water, and just as we were about to drive back down and have a better look at the ramp, three dejected-looking guys showed up. "I'm 'Mike the Pike' - they call me that because all I ever seem to catch is pike." A-ha! Buddy from Montreal. His providential and fortuitous arrival immediately promoted me and my dad to "Only The Second-Stupidest Dumbasses Here" since Mike et al had driven all the way from La Belle Province. Ron was by default the Least Stupid, having come from nearby Bramladesh.

Back down at the boat ramp and watching the now 60kph crosswind, I was secretly relieved when Ron scraped away the snow to reveal an inch-and-a-half-thick coating of ice on the ramp. "We'll never get the boat out of here," he declared. Obviously, Ron is one of these guys - despite his yuppie business card - who actually has some experience with his 4x4, and knows what they can really do. However such is not the case with many SUV owners - ask any towtruck operator and he'll tell you he pulls more 4x4's out of snowy ditches than all other vehicles put together.

So we bailed.

Anyway, that was the view from the South Side. With continuing cold forecast for the rest of the week, I reckon that's it for the season, barring any week-long warming trend that would melt all the snow from the ramps, and give us one more shot at open-water fishing.

Mike the Pike and crew came in from the east, and presumably had a look at the Bath and Adolphustown Ramps, and also rejected them. Maybe they can post and fill you in.

I reckon it's time for the ice fisherman. As for me, I'm going caving. Hasta la beaver, eh?

Cheers,

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:35 pm 
Walleye Master

will be launching in three days .... probably out of bath, but we'll see if we can use any inner reach launches.

the suburban is ready with newly equipped ultra tread tires, and we are taking my boat, which is lighter, and easier to launch....

no canopy or windshields will make for a biterly cold trip.

Post subject: The numbers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:45 am 
Site Admin

The number to call for the ferry schedule (and a report on ice while you have them on the phone) is 613 476-2641. The number for the glenora station is 613 476-2400. I see they are calling for a high of 6 in the long range forecast. hmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:00 am 
Walleye Master

we'll be fishing the open water in two days....

no worries dan.

we'll be sure report.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

I would be amazed [and delighted!] to learn of anyone getting into the water using "traditional means" - a boat launched from a trailer. You will need more than winter tires to utilize the ramps I looked at on Saturday, but a Chevy Suburban sounds like a good start. You should take a trick from my California mountain buddies and get some tire chains. Seriously!

On the other hand, for years my dad and I fished Quinte with a 15-foot cartopper. Sometimes we used to launch at the pumphouse and push it across the snow-covered grass. You could most likely push a cartopper into the water from the ramp on the east side of the Glenora ferry now, if not all winter long. You have to be cognizant of the wind conditions in a smaller boat, though.

What remains to be seen is, "Is it worth the effort?"

Someone please go find out for me, thus sparing me the bother.

Incidentally, if I can't convince my dad to do the "car-topper ice push" [sounds like the across-the-St.-Lawrence race at the Quebec winter carnival, eh?] and any other idiot, er "diehard", wants to join me, I could probably be persuaded.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:07 pm 
Walleye Master

well, our first step will be to try adolphustown...which i think will be impossible, but our first launch.

then we'll head over to the batcave launch (if we can find it).

if the water is open, we'll launch there. the physical condition of the launch, as long as there isn't thick ice, wont be a problem.

but our last attempt, which was Open when we left last December 21st, will be Bath. As we all know, with the right winds, its impossible....

But with the right boat, and the right winds, anything is possible.

We shall see.

(of course, Quinte has defeated us in the past...but ya gotta go with high hopes eh!)

ps. no matter what the outcome, it's always worth the effort. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

well, our first step will be to try adolphustown...which i think will be impossible, but our first launch. then we'll head over to the batcave launch (if we can find it).

>Try Prinyer's Cove first as it is on the west side, assuming you're coming in that way.

if the water is open, we'll launch there. the physical condition of the launch, as long as there isn't thick ice, wont be a problem.

>Prinyer's is completely covered in snow. It didn't look very do-able. Buddy told me that there are two-foot-deep ruts on either side of the ramp, and it is tricky to NOT drive off. Miss the ramp, and you'll be callin' for a towtruck.

but our last attempt, which was Open when we left last December 21st, will be Bath. As we all know, with the right winds, its impossible....

But with the right boat, and the right winds, anything is possible.

We shall see.

>It ain't the boat what's the problem!

(of course, Quinte has defeated us in the past...but ya gotta go with high hopes eh!)

ps. no matter what the outcome, it's always worth the effort.

>It's worth it if you actually get out fishing. It was emphatically not worth it on Saturday. Go get 'em, killer! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:08 am 
Walleye Master

nah, you dont have to make it out fishing to have it be worth while....

just getting away from the city, to the peace and quiet, makes it worth while....

plus, we'll be able to do some ice fishing in hay bay no matter what.

the trucks already to give'r hell.

raised, new tires, and ready to rock!

all batteries are charged on the boat, and she's raring to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

Good luck, mate! Keep us posted. I highly recommend you bring many buckets of sand. It really does work. My dad's van would still be down at McFarland's without it.

Lots of interest in this topic, as the post is almost at a thousand hits. Obviously guys want to go fishing, but is anyone crazy enough to try - besides you and me?

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! [Diabolical Dr. Evil Laughter]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:58 pm 
Walleye Master

we launched.

we fished.

we caught.

report to follow.

:lol:

banner ad