Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:23 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:37 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Saw this on the Fishing Network's News Wire and thought everyone should have a look.

NEW: NEW FISHING REGULATIONS PROPOSED FOR 2007 Public Comment Requested
Mark Lamb -- Fri, Feb/10/06

TORONTO — The Ontario government is seeking public comment on proposed new ecologically based fishing regulations that would further protect the province’s biodiversity, Natural Resources Minister David Ramsay announced today.

"We are streamlining the regulations and simplifying the large list of exceptions which were difficult for anglers to know and follow," said Ramsay. "We are also creating more fishing opportunities by extending seasons or removing unnecessary season closures where there aren’t sustainability issues for native fish populations."

The proposed regulation changes are part of the ministry’s new ecological framework for recreational fisheries management in Ontario announced last year. This includes managing fisheries on a zone basis rather than on an individual lake basis and reducing the number of fishing divisions to 20 zones from 37. The new Fisheries Management Zones are based on ecological and social factors and easy-to-find boundaries. These zones would go into effect in 2007.

The ministry has set out recommended seasons and creel and size limits for all regulated sport fish species for 2007 for the new zones. Most anglers will not notice much difference but in some areas the alteration in boundaries will mean changes in fishing seasons and fishing limits. Also proposed are protective regulations for some native populations such as brook trout, lake trout and lake sturgeon, to enhance biodiversity.

"The new regulations would better serve the needs of anglers while ensuring fish populations remain healthy now and in the future," said Ramsay.

The ministry is posting the proposed fishing regulations for the new fisheries zones on the Environmental Bill of Rights Registry today for 60 days for public comment. To view the notice, visit www.ene.gov.on.ca/samples/search/ and enter Registry Number XB06E6001.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/csb/news/2 ... NW_06.html
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/csb/news/2 ... NE_06.html
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/csb/news/2 ... SR_06.html

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:50 am 
Walleye Master

This is no suprise, considering we have a new Government!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:07 pm 
Walleye Angler

It took me a bit to actually get to the site, given the amount of needless steps put into place to slow a person down.

The one decent part that I was impressed with is seeing the brook trout limit lowered in what I have yet to figure out..."native or natural". This makes me want to further read about this, as I like the idea and would want to see what all exceptions, conditions are put into place. I will attempt to read more and hopefully get a clear picture of it.

Anything that puts conservation and more transparent proactive innovative, fisheries management to the forefront, is something I am generally supportive of.

Note to others- I tried to paste this as best as possible as the most diect route to where people can readily see what is needed to comment.
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/fishing/fmz/s_zone_18.html

Thank-you for posting this Superdad.

PS. If there is any link to further cut the BS out of the picture, I welcome knowing it, as I would read and comment accordingly.

Don Stokes

banner ad