banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:31 pm 
Walleye Master

I hope the original auther of this doesn't mind the story being posted...i think it will be an eye opener to many folks who venture out on the ice this season.

Quote:
Sorry to loop back to the original string about Quinte Ice Conditions, but I have to add my $0.02. Back on Feb 03 a group from work fished near Big Island and one of the guys almost didn't come back.
At one point the wind took his lawn chair for a sail so he walked after it and he eventually broke through the ice. He was wearing a floater suite or he'd be dead.
He tried to pull himself out three times but just kept breaking through. Exhausted, he dug in his homemade picks and just hung on. He had gone quite far from their hut and the wind was in his face so his screams went unheard. The current was so strong that it pushed his legs under the ice and pulled off his boots. He tells of being completely numb and delerious and of making his peace with God and getting ready to see his dead father again.
After 30+ minutes of looking, his friends arrived just as he was losing conciousness and letting go with one hand. One rescuer jumped in with a rope and NO floater suit. The other had cleats or he would not have been much help to either of them on the glare ice.
All were treated in hospital and are OK.
The ice at the hut was 12" but our guy went for a walk without test augering any further.
So for all those ice anglers braving the hard water this season, if you go out on the ice spend the money on a floater suit, bring picks and even cleats. Your life, or your fishing buddies life may depend on it. It CAN happen to you.
Wandering on your own, far from ice that is known to be safe is probably a risky thing to do as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:29 pm 
Walleye

Very eye opening post steve, sometimes people dont realize the danger, especially when a current is involved. That was freaky about it being strong enough to take his boots off.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:23 am 
Walleye Master

Not to offend anyone but the day they were out was a very bad week for ice, obviously they didnt listen to anyones warnings! Find out what your doing before you go out! I feel sorry for ya but use a little common sense!

banner ad
 Post subject: bad ice
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:07 am 
Walleye Master

. I have to agree with Martycoo. a little sence does go a long long ways............. the ice has been less than desirable all year in many places.... at 4 days of warm weather and a little rain and its a recipe for disaster............ happy to hear this time the outcome wasnt as bad as it could have been......... we all know that just because there is 10 inches of iffy ice where yer standing dont mean 100 or 50 meters way there is any ice at all that could hold a man up! knowing where you are and what to expect is a big plus. but there is no real rule of thumb when conditions changed so drastically that week no mater who you are no fish is worth risking your life. in short they took a gamble going out there to begin with

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:08 am 
Walleye Master

you may find not everyone knows this:

Quote:
we all know that just because there is 10 inches of iffy ice where yer standing dont mean 100 or 50 meters way there is any ice at all that could hold a man up!

banner ad
 Post subject: ice
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:49 am 
Walleye Angler

Always a nice reminder to be safe.

In 1988, I was doing a solo trip icefishing Lower Kanannaskis Lk., in AB., fishing roughly 24"+ of ice near a spillway. A few steps away....and I went down and ended up rolling out of the hold and crawling back to the vehicle. The temp was a frigid -20'C or less if I recall correctly (windchill not factored in). That was hopefully my first and last experience falling in.
Be safe.

Regards
Don Stokes

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:48 am 
Walleye Master

steve-hamilton wrote:
you may find not everyone knows this:

Quote:
we all know that just because there is 10 inches of iffy ice where yer standing dont mean 100 or 50 meters way there is any ice at all that could hold a man up!

Then they shouldnt be ice fishing!!!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:51 pm 
Walleye Angler

if you go out on the ice today, all you need to get to where you are going is a kite and pair of skates, how about that wind!!!!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:19 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Here are a few pics of the Portsmouth Harbour in Kingston a couple of hours ago......and the wind had died down at this point.

Wow!

Image[/url]

banner ad
banner ad