Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hows the Ice and Fishing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:50 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Hello there,

This is my first post here and have to say this is a nice site!!

I used to live in Belleville a few years back and have caught many a Sweet Walleye all year round, I reside south of Montreal now and been wanting to hit the old spots in Belleville but not sure what the ice conditions are now.

All this weird weather has screwed things up I would imagine. I used to ice-fish near the Bay Bridge and Cow Island alot and would love to go before the seasons end.

So would anybody here tell me what the thickness is?? It would be GREATLY appreciated for I dearly miss the fishing there!!

I'm hoping to get out there as much as possible, I'm tired of catching these little fish here LOL....I miss those Quinte Eye's :twisted:

Thanks in advance ,
FatPat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:11 am 
Minnow

Hi Pat

Basically this is the last weekend for fishing for walleye in the bay.

The conditions this year have been bad at the best of times... for those that ventured out... many did ok.

I didn't make it down but I read the posts a lot and I have a son who fishes down there because he is a local.

I would recommend you wait and try for the eyes when the season opens later in the spring. There is a big derby then and it is a riot to be out on the water.

If you require a quick walleye fix you might want to check out the other ice fishing sites... iceshanty.com and check out the Ice Fishing in Quebec and hook up with some of the good lads down your way. They have a spot that is non-stop action near you that I am sure will give you a quick walleye through the ice experience.

If you make it down in the spring watch for me in my green Nitro out there and say hello.

I live in Ottawa and fish through the ice up here... but the season has been dismal... check out Fish-hawk.net for information about fishing up here.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:22 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Seaweed thanks for the links to those sites, I'll check them out.....

I know that Kiwanis derby in the spring is hectic but it's also alot of fun, I always found that the fishing was better 2 weeks after that derby LOL.

I remember one time this lady was fishing in the Moira further up from Dundas street, actually beside the walking bridge, anywho she thought she was snagged on bottom and she sat there for nearly 15 min. before a gentleman offered her some help with what she thought was a snag.

This lady had on the whole time a Monster Walleye just sitting there in the current lodged up beside a rock, I seen the fish and watched as the guy pulled hard on the line and snapped away what would have been the Derby winner hands down, this Walleye had to been 14lbs plus it was huge.

Anywho I'm hoping to get out there again and hit the old battle grounds soon.

FatPat

banner ad
banner ad