Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:09 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:19 pm 
Walleye

Heard the bite turned on for a few lucky anglers. Would love to see some pictures. Come on, guys and gals, us statesiders who fished the Bay earlier this year want to keep the memories alive.

Greg42: Heard you went out with Quinte's best guide ... he said you'd have stories to tell ... well, where are the stories and the pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:52 pm 
Walleye Master

Heres a little tease for ya!
My little brother with a 29 incher!
my oldier brother and 25 incher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:41 am 
Walleye

Hey!! Fishing was GREAT !! Sorry I'm so late with any response- I got back and have been very busy getting caught up at work. My dad also went into the hospital - he'll be ok, just going to take me another day to get an informative post put up. Thanks..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:40 pm 
Walleye

Nice fish Martycoo!! Our trip up from Syracuse for the 11th & 12th was GREAT. Can't thank Rocky Mt. Man for responding to me and hooking us up with guide Rick Sommerville( aka Hardwater Walleye), you were right "he is the best guide around". We met @ Skevy's bait at 6am.- thanks for everything Ron, your knowledge and quality supplies are always appreciated, hope you enjoyed the 4lb.venison sausage stick we brought up- and headed to private access onto Big Bay. There was 3 of us from Syr. and we put 33 fish on the ice the first day! Put back all but 4- 3 eaters and one to mount. There was 10" of solid ice and the weather was perfect. We started off hooking up with good fish right away (7:30am), but lost the first 7 fish. I lost 5 of em! The treble hooks we were using were too small and Rick super sized them to 1/0's! Along with some longer, stiffer action rods, that did the trick! We started getting more solid hook-ups and landing the fish. Brian caught several in the 5lb. range that a.m. and I caught several 20", while John picked up a couple of 6lbs. Rick lost a 12lb(ish) at the hole and we knew he had us in a grest area. We caught 6 nice fish- 1 was a 9lber- at 12:30 and then it slowed down till 3p.m. Brian had the a.m summed up by saying "I have never put so many 5 lbers back down the hole in my life"! We had a riot! At 4:30 Rick landed a beautiful 10lber and brought it over to Brain's trap. I came over to get a picture of him with it and he just wanted to dunk it in Brian's hole to keep the fish's eyes from freezing and it thrashed and took off !! The one that got away!Brian's Vexilar and line were still in the hole to get all tangled up- now that was funny. A several more caught (and lost) fish and I finally hooked up with a 10+ lber. I kept that one to get mounted- I know there are plenty bigger moutable fish in Quinte, that was my first and I had to.
The next day we were only fishing till 12:30 before leaving. We landed another 6 that a.m. Rick's friend came out with us and he landed two nice 11lbers as well. What a weekend of fishing on Quinte! Along with the walleye we also caught 4 northerns- 20"-30"ers and dozens of perch. Most of the fish were caught on Sidewinders- chrome or copper with green or orange tape- or Williams whitefish, or Hopkins. All 1/2oz. - 1oz with larger hooks substituted. I'll attempt to add pics to this, and if I have problems, I'll pass them on to Dan to do. Thanks for everyones input from this board, and especially Rick's expert services. If anyone wants to get a hold of him, p.m me and I'll get you in touch with him. Book him now for next year! He's more than worth the experience!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:20 pm 
Walleye

Nice job ... and I'll be anxious to see some pics. That Dickie can fish can't he? We're booked for next year in early February when we hope the ice will be a bit firmer and the action hot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:40 pm 
Walleye

Did you know Mike came out with us on Sun.? He knows what he's doin' too. He landed a couple 11 lb's that morning. It was nice to meet him also. I told him that's how I got a hold of Rick- through you- and he said he knew you. He wanted info. to get in touch with us to fish Oneida Lake (here) sometime. I hope he keeps in touch- would love to get him out in our fishin grounds. I just sent those pics to Dan, so I'm sure he'll get them posted when he gets a chance. I'm trying to get all my work done so I can sneak up here this weekend !!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:50 am 
Walleye

I met Mike this year through my brother, who used to fish w/ Mike in the Fish Trap's National Ice Fishing Championships. My brother, who lives in Wisconsin, won a couple of the regional tournaments and then placed in the top 50 two years ago at the Nationals in Minnesota. Mike has been bugging him to go to BoQ for a couple of years and this past fall, he showed him some pictures and he was sold. It didn't take too much arm twisting for me to make the trip as well.

Mike's a lot of fun and yes, he knows his fishing as well. He landed a few real nice fish when he was w/ us in January. One night none of us could get nary a bite while Mike was holed up in his Fish Trap a hundred yards away. He never moved for like an hour. Then, when darkness took over and we were pulling up stakes to head in, he comes over and said he had caught a dozen walleyes, all in the 5- to 8-lb range. A good fisherman keeps his secrets, I guess.

Post subject: the pic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Here are the pics from Greg42. Looks like some nice fish and a good time was had.
Brian's 9 lb.
Greg's 29.75" , 10+ lb
Quinte Sunset
John's 6.2 lb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:35 am 
Walleye

Great pics ... thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:52 am 
Walleye

Thanks for posting the pics for me Dan.
Brian, the first guy in our pictures, is up fishing Big Bay today. Hope he can post some of the same pics!! I couldn't make the trip this time and it's killin me! Good luck to everyone getting out these last few days............

Last edited by greg42 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:32 am 
Walleye

I couldn't take it- I just called his cell. phone and he picked up a 28" 9.2 lb. within 10min. of drilling his hole. A couple smaller ones and some perch. 10-15" of ice and they were caught on copper Siderwinders. I'm finding it difficult to breath. I may be up in the a.m. !!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:43 am 
Walleye

Well, I never made it up there. Brian caught another 9lb and his girlfriend caught a 11.4 lb. - 32" slob!!!! They picked both those fish up at 12:45 on Sat. afternoon. He's on his way back and we'll try to get some pics posted.

banner ad