Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Catch & Release
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:36 pm 
Guppy

Another ice season coming to an end with a lot of fish being released. If this trend continues we'll have a world record here soon enough !!
Congrats to everyone who's getting on board with that.
We have a guy in our crew that doesn't even bother lifting the fish out of the hole. When they get close to the ice he just shakes them off the line !!!!
Was there more small fish caught this year or was that just me ?
Perfect Vue in May..... I can't wait !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:29 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Thats great to hear, it's about time it caught on. When I lived in Belleville a few years back I've seen my share of people take there limits all the time never putting anything back.

Then there were the out of towners gouging away as much as they could in the fall time, man that ticked me off!! I called the MNR a few times on these people but by the time somebody showed up these people were long gone.

Even got into it with a few of them and sent them on there ways......but this thing will always happen if nobody stands up to confront these people.

Anywho I'm just a babbling away here LOL....

FatPat

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:31 pm 
Walleye Master

YA it was a great season on the Bay! I can't complain.... Have to thank Skevy for his services.. give me a deal for that one next time bud!!!
Lotsa fish were caught on SKevy Minnows!!!!!!
My 2 brothers and I all had are best years by far.
I only caught 3 walleye but caught 100s of perch, and had my PB Pike to the hole, sukt to lose it but loved the fight!
My oldiest brother caught 6, 2 10-11 lbers and 2 7-8 lbers. And a couple nice eaters! Also caught oodles of perch!
My youngest brother slammed the walleyes as well, 5, 3 big ones, 1 10Lber, and one 2 9 Lbers! And he slammed the perch as well!
Saw lotsa guys catch many, alot of big ones! I couldnt believe it this year. By far the best ice fishing Ive ever had. Had some luck on other lakes, but nothing compares to the Bay! I feel bad that someone lost there life the other night, and think safe measures should be taken and perhaps if more people used these message boards they could communicate and fish in safer waters and in areas where others around! Cant wait till the DERBY watch out for TEAM MARTIN!

Just a bunch of kids having fun!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:30 am 
Walleye Master

Then there were the out of towners gouging away as much as they could in the fall time, man that ticked me off!! I called the MNR a few times on these people but by the time somebody showed up these people were long gone.

people drive 300, 400,500, miles to get there and catch fish they cant catch at home this makes them bad out of towners......apparently you dont need to go 300 miles away to catch fish..... lucky you eh! ......... remember that when you go deer hunting out of town. or go fishing in someones lake you dont live on! or kill rabbits that arnt in your back yard.................
I see alot of locals kill many many fish,why not if yer hungry take one home and eat it! . except you can take one or two every day you want to. why? because yer local! and most serious fishermen are aware of keeping a fishery alive, and healthy.............. them big fish dont make good eating! they just make you feel manly when you drag it home and show it off to your friends! ...... its like seeing a big buck hanging in a tree for days so everyone who drives past it knows they must be really good hunters... right? ............
if you look at the pictures in this thread you can see a few fish alot of people would have put back in the water.......... am i saying its wrong they kept them? . definatly not! . but i am saying they are locals who can catch fish pretty much when they want to . and take and eat what they need! Image......
lets not cast stones when most do live in glass houses!
id be willing to bet that fish right there was full of eggs,
ray charles could see thats not a male walleye!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:50 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

LOL Grizzly slow down there big guy!!

I was talking about the guys that would go and take WAY over there limits, not talking about the lads that would take there LEGAL limits.

I'm talking about the guys that had big plastic garbage pails filling them up and running to there vehicles as fast they could with them when there full, dumping them to run back and fill them again!!

These are the SCUM I'm talking about, these people are selling them for profit.........These are the people that I confonted a few times and called the MNR on!!

Not people that have to drive 200 300 400 miles or whatever you said and are catching them for the sport of it and the love of it.

FatPat

banner ad
 Post subject: sorry bud
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:56 pm 
Walleye Master

. I really didnt want to make it sound like i was stepping on your toes..... but i did want to stress my point on out of towners......... and yer right on one thing, one fish over the limit is way to many fish...... 90% of the hard core fisherment rarely even take a limit.
I sugest to you next time you see an infraction. you call the OPP.. breaking law is breaking law. they will physically detain a person til the MNR team shows up. you can bet on that!
ive watched old timmers who live on westlake catch a limit go home and come back for the evening bite........ whould i turn them in? , doubtfull how many years do they have left to fish? ...... two guys tearing up the lake in there pro bass boat with a beer between there knees catching over limit. id turn them in in a heart beat if i knew for a fact!
selling fish freshwater fish! . we cant and dont do that here in the states its against our laws to commurssal fish freshwater fish its a not for profit industry! / thank god! ......... ive met and talked to a few up there who net fish the small lakeseast, and west lake in the county . one tells me all his fish go to california honist men trying to make a living because they can . maybe a loby should be put out to stop that who knows
I didnt mean to attack you bud just the out of town comment knowing damm well i have flooded thousands of dollars into your economy figure i must pay 50 or 60 dollars a pound for my fish. is that insane or what :)
good luck out there , with any luck at all our grand kids will be talking about the same thing as us now

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:35 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Grizzly no problemo my friend!!

When I first wrote about the out of towner thingy I should have elaborated more. When I seen this happening it was late Fall fishing on the causeway, just about underneath the Bay Bridge. There's a sweet dropoff there where the Walleye run through all night long.

I don't wanna sound racist but it was oriental people from pickering/oshawa/toronto areas coming down plugging away at the Walleye. They would show up in van loads and literally take over the small area to fish...not a very big rock pile to stand on...

I've several times sabotaged there fishing trips for they were clearly poaching......I later learned that they get $9 a pound selling this on the market.

Anywho it was this situation I was talking about that has to stop once and for all.

Not people like yourself that are dedicated fisherman that love the sport and promote catch/release practises.

And as for the "Ol timers you mentioned coming back for more to take home I've seen this too on Myers Pier, me I don't care I still tell these people to chill out and relax, let them go your acting like the world is coming to an end and you must stock up LOL.

Cheers,
FatPat

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:44 am 
Walleye Master

Grizzly wrote:

people drive 300, 400,500, miles to get there and catch fish they cant catch at home this makes them bad out of towners......apparently you dont need to go 300 miles away to catch fish..... lucky you eh! ......... remember that when you go deer hunting out of town. or go fishing in someones lake you dont live on! or kill rabbits that arnt in your back yard.................
I see alot of locals kill many many fish,why not if yer hungry take one home and eat it! . except you can take one or two every day you want to. why? because yer local! and most serious fishermen are aware of keeping a fishery alive, and healthy.............. them big fish dont make good eating! they just make you feel manly when you drag it home and show it off to your friends! ...... its like seeing a big buck hanging in a tree for days so everyone who drives past it knows they must be really good hunters... right? ............
if you look at the pictures in this thread you can see a few fish alot of people would have put back in the water.......... am i saying its wrong they kept them? . definatly not! . but i am saying they are locals who can catch fish pretty much when they want to . and take and eat what they need! Image......
lets not cast stones when most do live in glass houses!
id be willing to bet that fish right there was full of eggs,
ray charles could see thats not a male walleye!

I'll take your points into consideration.... but every fish was caught within are rights, every piece of meat was eatin and enjoyed by locals that have helped are fisheries by respecting slot limits for many years now... so for us to take home 3 oversized eyes to keep us filled till summer then thats are rights! I fish because I love doing it, and trust me Ive done more then my fair share to help this area! You try cleaning bag after bag of garbage at meyers pier every summer, just because people throw alot of garbage around there! Grizzly come fish a day with me and u'll see Im not in it for a trophy, just got to watch how you word things I guess! And it was diffently a female and I enjoyed eating the Egg sac, very delicious! Just my opinion! I cant get myself to keep big ones either but my brothers can..... and like I said thats there rights!
I could go on and criticize some of the Americans that Ive caught poaching year after year on Crotch Lake but thats not you so I wont!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:28 pm 
Walleye

hey marty nice fish this may seem silly but you can actually eat the egg sac?What does it taste like and how do ya cook it?P.S.dont say chicken.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:17 pm 
Walleye Master

Cook it a few ways, some time I just make omelets with them, and no they dont taste like chicken. They taste like fish! On the smaller perch roe bags, I deep fry em with light batter! My brothers wanted to keep a few bigger sows, so I just couldnt see them eggs go to waste, so they became food! Quite delicious actually, thats if you like fish! All kinds of recipes on the net for cooking roe, its also very good smoked! Hope I could help! Mike

banner ad
 Post subject: Rock on bud
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:59 pm 
Walleye Master

. hey i hear what yer saying, and i did say i have no problem with locals killing and eating fish. none at all. just the point i was trying to make is if you live next door yer bound to take more fish than a guy who drive a few hours. over the season to fish............. just i hear the word out of towners it has to make me laugh .......... i know what you mean about garbage at myers pier bud ive dont the same thing pick up trash thats too heavy to carry to the garbage ... and im from out of town but i know what garbage looks like and where it should or should not be!
not to get off track bud. you have the right to take your limit as so does everyone who buys a licens to fish ......... mine cost more than yours does and so it should im your guest . and id pay more!
On that subject of payments its importiant for you to remember its good people who makes us yankees come up as well as the good fishing you guys have. lots of dollars pour into your economy all year round Canadian AND American not to mention a few other countries im sure .... we are all brothers here . together we can find a way! . devided its dog eat dog and sooner or later they are gonna get tired of eating dog and then eat all the fish! . thats if the poluted water dont kill them all first!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:30 pm 
Walleye Master

Grizzly, I agree with a conservationist approach to any angling. Like common sense you throw more fish back, you have greater chances of catching more in the future.
The Bay of Quinte is very diverse and challenging at times, but very rewarding when you work hard enough. Alot of people take advanntge of meyers pier and treat it with hardily any respect, the amount of garbage last year was pathetic..
I hope to meet you this summer on the Pier.
Mike

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:35 pm 
Walleye Angler

as far as catch and release, I practice it 99% of the time, unless someone requests that I give them a fish, or it's from really clean water. I let everything go in the Moira, for my own health. If anyone here eats them, that's their right, my advice is, just really limit yourself, too many of those fish and it's probably like smoking 2 packs a day (contaminents that is)

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:03 pm 
Walleye Master

My advice read the free book given out by MNR, How to eat fish?, it gives exact mercury levels for certain rivers and lakes. Thats where the facts are! Too many myths now adays!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:19 am 
Walleye

That free book is givin out at the beer store is it not?

banner ad
banner ad