Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Consult with the Experts
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:58 am 
Walleye Angler

Good day all. As we dream of the ice melting and another season of open water fishing, I find myself dreaming of a new fishing boat to ply the waters of BOQ. I've done quite a bit of research and narrowed the field to 3 brands......Lund, Crestliner and Princecraft (in no particular order). Before I go too far, does anyone have experience with the Crestliner Sport Angler? I've come across an '05 package that consists of the 1650 boat and 90 hp Mercury Optimax, which is the maximum hp rated for the boat. The package is priced right at 17,500 for boat, motor, trailer, with four seats and full top. I'm noticing the weight of the that Merc Optimax is 375 pounds and wondering if adding a kicker motor, say a 9.9 hp four stroke, is going to put too much weight on the back end of the boat, and 'cause the back end to sag at lower speeds, or idle. Or, will the Opti troll down to speeds low enuff to tempt those walleye? Is Crestliner a suitable boat for the big lake (Ontario) for Salmon fishing? Unfortunately, the largest hull I can buy is 16 and a half feet, and 82 to 87 inch beam because of garage size limitations. Arrrrgh!
Also, I had a Lund dealer point out that Princecraft doesn't have a spray rail on their hull, so I should get a rain suit if out in rough water. Hmmm, how does that affect the ride in rough water? I'm looking at their Pro Series 166. Great boat, and well equipped.....perfect family fish 'n ski and seems to have the nice high freeboard for the big lake. Just wondering about the ride and handling though.
Any thoughts from the experienced boaters out there? Figured before I spend 20 to 30K+ on a new fishing machine, I'd seek some advice from the guys actually putting these boats through the paces every season. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:16 am 
Walleye Angler

Weedman wrote:
Also, I had a Lund dealer point out that Princecraft doesn't have a spray rail on their hull, so I should get a rain suit if out in rough water.

Wow... anything to sell a boat. 8O

You can not go wrong with a Princecraft, Lund, Crestliner - all owned by Brunswick who also own Mercury and Motorguide.

Shop around and work out the best deal in a boat that will meet your needs (width and length). Do not listen to sales staff unless they are pro-staff that fish in the boat all season on the waters you plan to run. I have been in everything from a Tracker Team Tundra to a Ranger Fisherman 621...all great boats that handle big water. Ask 10 people get 10 different answers.

I went with a Tracker, but that was my decision after testing 4 different 16ft boats out on Lake Ontario, I was most impressed by the smooth re-entry in large waves which resulted in a dry stable ride with a 92in beam. (BTW no splash rail :wink: ) If you can...try to get out in the boats you are looking at and get a real feel on how they handle and what they will do on big water. Just ask around as most anglers will take you out in their boat as they always think their ride is the best purchase. Take notes and try to look at everything with an open mind.

Transom height, motor shaft length, beam and hull length are very important when looking at a boat to run big water. You will have to make compromises because of your garage size limit.

All the best in finding a boat that works for you...

-Sheldon

Post subject: wow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:23 am 
Walleye Master

............. great info bud............ you know your boats! ....... all i can say its to bad you cant test drive them like a car lol . id take one for a spin every saturday morning :D .... sorry man i had to hook a fish so i could see how she handles dragging 12 pounds behind me , or id have been back sooner :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:49 am 
Walleye Master

i own a lund.

i get overly soaked travelling in big water.

i guess i dont have one of the dry running lunds.

i opted with the Lund ProGuide as it has the largest casting deck on a 17'6" boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:50 pm 
Walleye

I've been running a Pro Series Princecraft for the last three seasons and wouldn't hesitate to recomend the boat to anyone. Yeah it's probably not the greatest in big water on Lake Ontario, but what 16-17' fishing boat is.If my primary target was big water Lake Ontario I wouldn't have anything smaller than 19'.
I half heartly started looking for a new boat this year and was quick to realize that the 2005/6 aren't near as nice as my '98 and really not worth the investment. The Tracker has come a long way in the last few years and I think if I was buying I'd give them real good look.
If your looking for a deal, Big Lake Boats in Cobourg have always used me very well, price and service wise.

take the grandkids fishin'

Post subject: Contact Information
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:27 am 
Walleye Angler

Well, wouldn't you know I'm dealing with Jeff at Big Lake for the purchase, he's been great so far. The package though, is alot of money but I'm likely gonna take the plunge because the chances of me finding what I want/need used are slim.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:27 pm 
Walleye Angler

I just up graded from a Lund Mr Pike 17 with a 90 merc 4 stroke to a 18 ProV w/135 optimax. Of course I havent had it in the water yet, motor doesnt seem to work sitting on top of the ice. But, I have nothing but good to say for Lund durablility, and ride. The newer pro
V have an addtional strake(sp) that is supposed to really improve the dryness of your ride. (Confirmed by Walleye Pro who buys a new Pro V every other year and has ridden in both the older hull design as well as the newer).

With that said, I had no problem with the ride of my Mr. Pike, wet at times if rough, but handled all the water with no problems. and I also hit a shoal in Grand Lac Victoria that brought motor up out of water, any other boat it would have torn off the transom, no damage to the Lund.

I am across the border, but I bet someone could pick up my 2001 Mr Pike with 2000 Merc 4 stroke and eagle trailer for less than $13, 000 US based on what they gave me for my boat on trade. Good Luck in your search

Post subject: Crestliner
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:13 pm 
Goby

I have the exact boat you are about to buy. The motor I chose is a 75 HP 4-stroke Mercury not sure of the weight exactly but it is over the 300 mark. I bought it new in 2002 lived on Hay Bay for a few years. Fished all over Quinte and the big lake in all types of weather. Top end on the boat is 38 MPH in ideal conditions. As for trolling I put a trolling plate on the motor and it slows it down very well. I have a full top which keeps you dry but acts as a sail. As for performance in rough water not bad it rides the swells but again it is just over 16'. I love the boat and was very happy with my choice, but I looked long and hard and you do the same. Good luck and the price you are being offered is a good deal. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:39 pm 
Walleye

Why not buy a boat that is built to last a lifetime and that will increase in value instead of depreciate. Look at Stanley boats. They specialize in commercial duty all welded aluminum boats. They make boats for commercial fishermen (not fishers), police duty, MNR duty and the like. I spent 6 years saving for my boat and researced every make you could think of (including Quintrex). Stanley is not a mainstream boat builder but their durability and quality of construction is second to none and they will build the boat to your specifications or you can select one of their standard styles. They are typically constructed of 3/16" thick saltwater grade marine aluminum alloy and all welded construction. One of the most surprising things I discovered is that they actually cost less than the mainstream boat names including Lund and Crestliner. They may not come equiped with a snazzy paint scheme but man are they ever built to last. They truly are a lifetime boat. And you order it right from the factory in Parry Sound, you even get to talk to the person on the shop floor who is building your boat. When I asked them what the warrany on my boat was they just sneered and replied: If within five years you don't like your
boat bring it back to us and we will give you a full refund. There are actually people on a waiting list for their used boats. It will take about 12 weeks to build it. As far as an outboard motor is concerned my research convinced me that by far the best quality construction, power and fuel economy is from a Nissan outboard. They cost about 35% more than the the bigger names but it is truly an impressive motor. As far as a trailer goes, get that custom built also, Cradleride custom builds trailers to your specifications for less than a brand name unit. Just make sure that you get it galvanized. So my strong recomendations are: Boat by Stanley, Motor by Nissan and trailer by Cradleride. You will buy these from different dealers of course. Don't be fooled into beleiving that you will get a better deal if you purchase all these three components from one dealer at the same time, this is a popular misconception.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:21 pm 
Walleye Master

stanley's are great, but they are heavy as heck for towing, and in the winter are dangerous when the ice builds up on the floor...

virtual ice rink.

banner ad