Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sunday for Browns???
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:08 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

We headed to the Outlet this morning to test the waters off the Sandbanks for the presence of Brown Trout.

Motored out the stream to the lake and began to troll westward in 4.5' of water with the planer boards and in their proper positions.

Made one pass westward and headed back to the Outlet stream and the motor started acting up.

It keep flooding and all Laker could do was pull and pull and pull and it would run a bit and flood itself.

The air over the sandy beach was kinda blue :oops:

The only choice was to head back in with the manual propulsion devices sticking out from the side of the boat.

We were able to get it to run for up 150 yds at a time, so we were a while getting back to the launch ramp.

Ate some lunch and laoded the boat and truck up and headed back home with our tails between our legs.

Win some and lose some :cry:

Back next week for another kick at the can after Laker gets the motor functioning properly.

By the way, didn't have any luck or strikes or anything. Few seagulls in thh area lead us to believe that there may have been few baitfish in the area.

Stay Tuned

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

just that time of year I guess, I got skunked yesterday out hunting for brookies north of belleville. fish should start biting soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:54 am 
Walleye Angler

It's good to see that someone has been out too bad the fishing been slow for you fellas. Thanks for the update guys nice report as always superdad.

A poor day fish'n........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:57 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I did a tour around the Hydro plant this weekend. A few people were catching browns and rainbows. Most of the luck were on flys.

Hey Hoser, any ideas or suggestions for someone that really doesn't know much about flys?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:15 am 
Walleye Angler

hmmmm.... well I can't really comment for great lakes browns or steelhead, (since I"ve yet to catch one) I usually use an egg pattern, wooly buggers, or really flashy mickey finns. egg sucking leechs and wooly worms are some others to try. lately I've been just looking for brookie creeks in division 7 until division 6 is open in the end of the month. these fish may only be 6 to 8 inches but have amazing colour patterns and are really rewarding to catch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:03 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks Hoser.

I'll have to see what I can come up with.....I don't normally use floats, let alone flys.

We sure need a bait and tackle place in Kingston. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:14 am 
Walleye Angler

I heard there's a place to fish in millhaven creek, but got lost trying to find it, something about a dam there, all I could find was the mouth of it by the amherst ferry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:48 am 
Walleye Angler

btw superdad, sorry to hijack your thread, didn't mean to do that. anyhow, wish you luck your next time out, same time I'll wish myself luck, as I haven't caught a fish in months. I might cave in and............ go to the trout farm just so I can see what it's like to catch a fish again. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:45 pm 
Walleye Angler

I bet/hope superdad is just glad to see some fish'n talk, I know I am.

Post subject: No problem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:47 pm 

No,fishing talk is always good.

The stream at Millhaven has dried up with the Cogen Plant using the water and not putting any back.

There used to be good flow and when they planted fish in the area, they used to come back.

I've never caught anything there, I used to fly fish 12-13 yrs ago.

My sister in law got a nice 10lb Rainbow there once on a spoon.

I think people fish justoff the drop off from that area and they do well.

Cheers

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

Quote:
The stream at Millhaven has dried up with the Cogen Plant using the water and not putting any back.

There used to be good flow and when they planted fish in the area, they used to come back

That's interesting. It always bugs me to hear about our urban attack on resourses and our small escape from the everyday... Nice to hear there is some still around.

I have often wanted try to develope a the little creek that runs through Picton. Managed right I bet it could be a nice compliment to the area's fishing choices.

Is there anyone who has any history on that creek that emties in to Picton Harbour?? I know where it comes from...just was interested in what may have been caught there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:03 am 
Walleye Angler

There are some interesting items to note on this thread.

Millhaven Creek (by the ferry)
It is a tragedy if in fact the Cogen plant is not putting water back, with I suppose the question in my mind being...."are they doing this or are they using water from the lake". I just cannot picture where let alone why they would use a seasonal stream. I am aware that there are some water control barriers upstream that would be controlled by the Cataraqui Conservation Area, and wonder if this is part of any possible problem. Either way.... this is a discouraging note.

Regarding Browns near Picton Harbour
There are at least 3 streams that I know of that have had a miniscule run of trout in Prince Edward County. A good friend that is now deceased had the area mastered and claimed that the actual timing would or could be just a few days in a year and would all depend on temperature. There was also a fish hatchery in a different location from the Glenora Research Station, on Waring Creek. I fished there once as a teenager at the old site (I believe it operated in the 1930's?) and observed some remenants including the ponds which were largely silted in, but possible in an imaginative way to hold fish. This area now is no tresspassing, and was the site of some controversy a few years ago, regarding an aggregate operation on this rare coolwater stream in the area.

Just a tidbit from some schmo that is from the area but works far away.

Donald Stokes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:37 am 
Walleye Angler

Don, I think Superdad is talking about the stream just west of the millhaven plant ( now Invista) not the stream at the amhearst island ferry docks. Are you not Super dad ?

Post subject: Correct
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:42 pm 

That's the one I was thinking about and not the Millhaven Creek flow in at the Ferry Dock

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:04 pm 
Walleye Fry

Hoser,
There still is a spot in the milhaven creek to fish, unless you are familiar in where to go you probably wont find it.
PM me if you want to know where.
Blake