banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:43 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:15 am 
Walleye

I was back home with the parents over Easter and decided to give the 'ole mud cat hole a try. I haven't fished there in 6 years or so, but the fishing has not changed. Friday night I took my girlfriend and a buddy of mine down. Fished for about 3 hours (7-10 pm) and managed to catch 24 between the three of us (although most of my time was spent tending the fire and taking fish off my girlfriends line). The bite was not that great, but it was fun. I figured a little more wind would be better.

So Saturday evening there was more wind. The plan was to meet up with two buddies at the same spot. I went early so I could get the good spot. My buddies showed up at 8:00 and I had already caught 25. We stayed until 10:00 and went home with around 80 cats (me landing almost 40 of them!!!!).

Now the question: As my dad I were cleaning them on Sunday morning, I noticed what looked like the little white parasite in the meat. There were literally thousands of them all through the meat. I can't remember seeing this before. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this in the cats. The little spots kind of looked like fish eggs, but they were scattered all through the meat, not just on the surface.

Any opinions on this??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:55 pm 
Walleye

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/Factsheets/Fisheries/Fish_health/Yellow_grub.pdf

That's what they were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:12 pm 
Walleye

i noticed the same thing a few years back havent fished for them since grossed me out too much