Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Post-Weekend Report
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:12 am 
Goby

Good Morning All,

Hope everyone had a great opening weekend...the weather could have been better for opening day, but hey, any time I can get away and get out on the water, well, that's a good day.

Thought I'd take a minute and give a quick overview of my efforts:

Hit the water at about 6 a.m. on Saturday morning. Launched at the mouth of the Trent and didn't see much action (didn't get many good reports from the fellas hanging around the launch either). Decided to head straight across the bay to the channel on the south side of the Indian Island shoal. Started using worm harnesses but couldn't keep the shakers (small perch and silver bass) off of the line. Switched one of my lines over to a chartreuse crankbait and nailed a 3 lb wally around 9 a.m., but that was it. The wind and rain were a bit much so was back off the water by 10 a.m. to warm up.

Went back out Saturday afternoon to the same area for a couple of hours. Was marking fish in the bay just to the east of Onderdonck Pt., so did a slow troll with a pink, one-eyed Little Jo harness. I managed to bring in five more in total...largest one was 4 lbs. Knew I wasn't going to win any prizes...simply happy to find some fish.

Sat night tried my luck at the mouth of the Trent (with the scores of other fishermen). Aside from more shakers, and a couple of sheephead, I caught nothing else...nor did it seem that anyone else did.

Went out Sunday morning, back to the channel on the other side of the bay. Slow troll with the Little Jo. Again, lots of shakers. Marked quite a few fish, but only landed one small Wally, however, did bring in one nice jumbo perch...measured just shy of 11 inches!

Didn't get the trophy I was looking for, but none the less had a great weekend fishing with my dad.

How'd everyone else do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:18 am 
Walleye Angler

Started fishing Saturday morning at 5:40 am, light mist of rain but weather.ca said that 0% chance of rain the day before so figured it would pass over quickly so left the rain gear in the truck on shore. Caught a 6lb walleye at 6am on the dot, rain starting to come down harder, went in to shore at 6:40am, started the truck, cranked the heater and tried to dry out, put on the rain gear made it back out, did well for pike caught 10 on Saturday, largest was about 7 pounds, all great fighters, all but two were released. Saturday was very nippy out there, never took the rain gear off as it worked well as a wind breaker. Sunday morning, slept a little later, first fish caught was a 6 pound rainbow trout that must have been making his way back out in the Lake from it's spawning grounds. It was caught on a Len Thompson spoon, good fighther, jumping like crazy, hook came out in the net, took a picture as proof and let him go to spawn again next year, caught 2 more pike and called it a day at approx 11am. Was a good weekend, well...better than a day at work, that's for sure.

banner ad