Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:13 am 
Baitfish

We finally got a chance to sit down with the Quinte Gypsy himself and find out about the fishing legacy we know as Rocket. This is part one of three in our second report and you get to hear it straight from the legend.

R-Report- You have been fishing tournaments for a long time and people all over know you as the Rocket how did you get that name?

Rocket- Quite a few years ago,actually,it was 1989,that's when I had my little tackle store in Belleville,It was Called...Pro's Choice Bait & Tackle,I had been in a tournament,a couple of weeks before,I believe it was th Tri- Lakes Tourney...OV Pro Bass,and ,that's when I ran my Hydrostream boat, I built the boat in Hastings Ont....it only weighed about a 1000 lbs..and would run a little over 80 mph.,with a duece,on the back,I had passed a good friend of ours...ZOOMER BOB!!...He was in my store,visiting,and the statement was...That thing goes like a ROCKET,another friend of mine was in the store,and said,that would be a good nick-name...this has stuck,ever since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:18 am 
Baitfish

R-Report- Like the song says you are "just like a gypsy you'll fish any where." Having fished all over what is your most favourite and least favourite body of water?

Rocket- I would have to say,that my favorite body of water,would have to be the section of the Trent System,between Hastings and Healey Falls,it's about 17 miles,of great water,it has everything you could ask for...Musky,pearch,crappie,catfish,hugh carp..over 50lbs,Largemouth over 9lbs,Smallmouth over 7lbs..Walleye over 10lbs...what more could you ask for,also ,I was brought up in that area,and know the water very well,there are hole's over 50 ft.deep...yikes...what's in there?????We'll seeeeee!!!Just an all around fishing body of water....Who knows...maybe...the new Canadian Largemouth record may come out of Seymour!!! I think the most disappointing lake in the last few years for me,has to be Rice Lake,a few select people have figured it out,especially the Smallies,and it's turned out like Simcoe...30 or 40 boats go to the same spot,and who evre has the most weight wins...not too much fun in that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:25 am 
Baitfish

R-Report- What where the OV Pro Bass tournaments like back in the day compared to the tournaments of today?

Rocket- BACK IN THE DAY...as you put it ......thats when it was a lot of fun even if you didn't catch very much,everyone was much friendlier to each other,had dinners together,shared idea's,travelled together....now adays...it's all these little clicks.....and no one seems to have the time of day....and you wonder why I'M ?????????all the time!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:29 am 
Baitfish

R-Report- You have been orbiting our fishing galaxy for light years competing in tournaments all across Canada and even the US. What is your most memorable tournament moments?

Rocket- There was lots of memorable moments....going through the Murray Canal...at 70mph....four wide...at 7:15am..was pretty cool,..having over 20 lbs...by 8:00am...right Gramebo??and then,of course the BIG ONE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:48 am 
Baitfish

There is more to come so stay tuned to the Rocket Report 2.

By the way if you guys have questions or comments feel free to post them. We want to know what you think.

Remember he is Legends of Fishing
Rocket Robert Mitchell AKA the Quinte Gypsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:32 am 
Frank,

Our crew stayed at P. Park for the "Opener" and ran into a local celebrity "The Webmiester -D.Elliott". That was great but we didn't get a chance to meet the "Canadian Legend".

My question is, "Does the Canadian Legend participate in Walleye tournies or is he strictly a Bass Master"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:16 pm 
Baitfish

"Does the Canadian Legend participate in Walleye tournies or is he strictly a Bass Master"?

Good questions MAC I am fairly sure he is doing the Quinte Series Walleye event and was probally out in the opening derby. I am still waiting for his replies to about 7 other questions so hopefully he will come on here let you know.

Thanks for the feedback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:14 pm 
Thanks FT,

BTW, I lost a little bet with my crew. I had my money on "The Canadian Legend". Guess he didn't enter the derby?

Tight Lines....

Post subject: Bye!
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:40 pm 
Walleye

Blown! :cry:

Last edited by ROCKET on Thu May 18, 2006 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: tourneys
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:17 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Aiming to weigh in at noon? You really are turning into a 'gypsy' there ROCKET!?! Sheesh, if we'd stayed out and fished all day, we likely could have finished 1ST....coulda been even closer for TOTY in that classic eh!
BTW nice transom work.
G
----->COOLY.....pack some rubber boots (or baggies) for Shaquille if there's rain in the forecast this year!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: ??
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:53 pm 
Walleye

8O

Last edited by ROCKET on Thu May 18, 2006 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:57 am 
Baitfish

Some people think he's a myth some think he is a folk tale. If your lucky you may have even catched a glimps of the ninth wunder of the world. The R report is going to exspose the mystery, reveal the facts, and answer your questions.

This is what I am calling the Legacy of the Gypsy of Quinte.

We are just waiting for a respone from Mr. Mitchell and the second of three parts of the Rocket Report 2 will be posted. Remember if your reading this at home or at work for something to do if you want to know something or have a question ask it. Rocket is filled with decades of information and stories and I have got him to cooperate.

Remember he is Legends of Fishing
AKA Quinte Gypsy
AkA The Ninth Wunder of The World
Robert Rocket Mitchell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:12 am 
Baitfish

R-Report- Speaking of the big one take us back to that moment. Tell us in your own words the real deal, how it went down that day. Paint a picture if you will.

Rocket- ...AH!Yes!..The "BIG ONE"that was a great fish,a once in a lifetime fish,but not really,actually,my partner "COOLY",had found this fish,and a few more ,just like it,he had been out a couple of weeks,before,just fun fishin,with his Dad,and come across these big fish,anyways,the day of the tourney,started out fantastic,Cooly banged a couple of 4lbders.,right off the get-go,then I added,a couple of more good ones,I think it was about 9:30 or 10,and we already had,four good fish,that weighed,about 12 to 13 lbs,we guessed,then Cooly says,so ROCKET,do you want to make History,and I didn't really pay too much attention,to what he had said,anyways,he says,drop your bait right in there,by that little clump of floating weed,and hang -on,I sort of chuckled a little,and said,YA!RIGHT!I no sooner had dropped my bait down,and "Whack"just like someone,had tied,a cement block on the end of my line,all I could do was yell "BIG FISH","BIG FISH",Cooly came flyin to the front with the net,bustin my Flippin Stick on the way,as I have the bad habit ,of leaving rods,all over the boat,with one swoop of the net,he had the Giant fish,we both ,sort of just looked at it,and I said ,maybe 6...Cooly says.I'll bet she's over 7,we put the fish in the live-well,and after we had both calmed down,we got the scale out,she was 7.9,on my scale,that sort of got a yell out of both of us,all this took a matter of about 10 mins.anyways,it was great holding up the Record Bass at weigh-in,and I hope,if anyone who reads this,has any pics of this fish,that maybe,I could get a couple of copies...Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:21 am 
Baitfish

R-Report- I still can't believe with that fish you didn't win the Classic. How does it really feel to have that type of weight on your shoulders. Not winning a classic that is?

Rocket- To answer that,disappointing ,of course,but like they say,next time,have been close a few times...Maybe this is the year!!!

R-Report- We hope you can do it this year. You got a lot of people rooting for you. I think you have been a Quinte Classic Contender for about 5 years now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:40 am 
Baitfish

R-Report- There are a lot of amazing fisherman in the series. A lot of great competitors. What are you going to do different to overcome your day two slump to contend this year?

Rocket- Not only,Am I a contender,but everyone ,is a contender,the big weight ,the first day,always boosts moral,and gives you confidence,going into the second day,just have to get it in your head,need to run or go back,but don't ever give up,have a few new idea's ,up our sleaves,for this year...should be fun!!

banner ad