banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Muskie opener on the bay
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:09 pm 
Walleye Angler

Just wondering if anybody will be fishing muskie in a couple weeks on the bay.Went up north for the opener this past Saturday and fished in the rain for 12hrs with nothing but some pike.We are going to give the bay a go in a couple weeks.

Post subject: Moira river
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:46 am 
Site Admin

Since the walleye opener I have heard of several occassions where pairs of Muskies have been seen spawning in the river. One of the skis was reportedly over 50". A kid caught one a few weeks back at the river and a local guy saw this and made sure the fish was released. Another guy was telling me he saw a guy catch a muskie by the first dam adn the guy kept it. He was reported to the MNR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:21 pm 
Walleye Angler

:evil: muskies are even more scarce than good trout streams. was this by the Lott dam in the Moira ??? I fish there often and I'll keep a watch. not only do you need a sport license to keep one, they have to be a certain length to be legally kept in this river, even still, how often do people get the chance to catch one??? I'd love to catch a muskie, haven't caught one in 15 years.
noticed some people tossing big rubber bass frogs down in the pond by the treatment plant on the bay ( the one with the 2 little bridges) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

I've only heard stories of Quinte muskies...stories of really huge fish!! Wow that's great news to hear reports of them in and spawning. Chances are....It was likely a big pike or if the sighting is true the eggs will die due to water quality issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:14 pm 
Walleye Master

I had musky follow up 2 days before opening day on shore! They are in the bay trust me!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:43 pm 
Walleye Master

my girlfriend caught one off big bay last summer.

they are in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:38 am 
Walleye Angler

Right on!!

I get a lot of them up in the Kawarthas. They are an awesome fish!! I fish walleye mostly there (go figure) and it's the heart stopping sizzle of the drag or tail walking muskie that make for those great days fishing.

Pike are invading the Kawartha Lakes, and Simcoe has it's issues. I hope people let them go if they're caught.

It's not like there isn't enough perch in the quinte to feed muskie. There must also be tiger muskie in the area too maybe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

well well !!! first muskie on the fly for me today !! In a creek that I'd thought would hold brook trout connected to the moira. got there hoping to find brookies, first I saw white suckers 14" lots of them. then next thing you know I get a 2' muskie hammer my wooly bugger. If I would of known what was in that creek I would of brought my 8wt and not my 4wt 8O
LOL. what a blast.
released of course, as is everything I ever catch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:32 pm 
Walleye Angler

Right on hoser!!!

Every time I get one of those smallies up on my lake I think of you and the fly rod. Can't wait till they open up and I can hunt the buggers not just be pestered by them fishing walleye. I have a bay that is just filled with bass, and walleye and muskie roam the drop off. It's the best!!

Go gett'm!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:56 pm 
Walleye Angler

if you are ever in the area slug, let me know, we'll go fishing, and I got a bunch of flies to give you that the bass just can't refuse, I've actually had some "wear out" last year from getting hit so much, thread finally gave and off went all the feathers, chennille , dubbing , tinsel, etc... LOL gave me something to do this winter, sit in front of the vice with the tunes cranked and the thread spinning around the hooks :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:35 pm 
Walleye Angler

Quote:
something to do this winter, sit in front of the vice with the tunes cranked and the thread spinning around the hooks

Sounds like Rumple Stylskin, or Voo-Doo to me... I'm in!! :D Let you know when I'm in town again.

It's christmas again this weekend... for us big kids....the good christmas 8) Wish that (wire line stuff "Fireline") would work on that fly rod for smallies 8O Talk about being hit by a freight train.

Stillskin?? What ever :roll:

Last edited by slug on Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

Sorry duber didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. Thanks for your B. Isl. hints this ice season. Hope you've been nail'n em!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:00 pm 
Walleye Angler

I haven't heard to much about muskie in the bay, but the moira and trent rivers for sure, my brother saw one the size of a a log in the trent in Glen Ross. Stoco lake mouth to the moira is another hotspot for them.
when I caught that 2 footer in the shallow creek, (which was 12' wide, 2' deep) was using 12 lbs berkley big game for tippet, same stuff I use for longnose gar. I used to use berkley fireline but have a heck of a time cutting it to change flies (as in big honking 6" rabbit strip flies for pike). dulled my clippers really quick, as well as my knife which is Zytel steel Carson M4 CRKT (and those things don't dull easily).
I make my own leaders as well, you should see that , nails measured and staked out up my bedroom wall and hooks, sitting there spinning strands of mono and UNI. wife calls me the "spider" these leaders have great shock absorbtion and I made one just for muskie fishing :wink:

banner ad