Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Prop Help!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:41 am 
Walleye

I purchased a 19 ft Winner Bass Boat a couple of months ago with a 200 hp Mariner Mag EFI. Right now I am running a 23 pitch SS 3 bladed prop. So far at top speed I am at 54 mph (on the speedometer on the boat which I know is usually wrong, so I thnk I am about 60-64 mph) at 5800 RPMs. It is my first Bass Boat so I am wondering if this sounds alright or should I be able to get more speed with less RPMs if I went to a different prop, say maybe a 22 pitch 4 bladed prop. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:46 am 
Walleye Angler

I think if you go to the smaller 4 blade you will probably be close to where you are now. Check with a local dealer as he may have some different props you can try or check with you buds. It can be trial and error to find the best won for your boat. Good Luck. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:01 am 
Walleye Angler

There was a place called the prop shop located east of Belleville on Hwy 2 on the north side of the road that may be able to shed some light on your prop question. There is also another prop business in Kingston that might be able to help. This type of question warrants research if you really want to ensure top performance. I would be suggesting some of the boat dealers, but given your question, I would want to at least ask some prop focused business. Good luck.

Don Stokes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:51 pm 
Walleye

Speed's just a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:31 pm 
Walleye

I just want to make sure that I am using the right prop that will give me decent speed and not be hard on my motor. I don't need to go 70 mph, especially on the bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:19 am 
Walleye

Hi Jay, if you contact Mariner and give them your set up information, they will to tell you the best prop. After that you can even spend some time checking out aftermarket props and prices. Be prepared to tell them the size, weight (with & with out gear aprox.) etc. of your boat. Be sure to check the hub on your prop to be accurate with the current one on there. If you have one or can borrow one, use a GPS for a better speed gauge. Good luck...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

If your turning 5800 rpm and using a 3 blade, you should try a larger pitch 3 blade first. What is your motor rated for max. rpm's? Try a 24 or 25 pitch 3 blade first, it will give you more bow lift than a 4 blade and depending on how your boat is running, a 4 blade will actually raise your rpm's higher at the same pitch. Remember 3 blades are faster typically with a poorer hole shot. 4 blades are faster out of the hole with a lower top end. But every boat and motor combo is different, so set up accordingly. What is your engine height and water pressure? A jackplate will go a long way in helping you get a few more mph, as well it helps with handling. And on the bay a plate sets your motor farther back and helps with low speed driving in rough water. You should be able to turn a larger prop than that, I am turning a 25 pitch Tempest Plus on my 175 optimax and it is on a 18.5 Ranger.

I forgot too add, if you go down in pitch your rpm's will go up. You want to go up to lower your rpm's. :wink:

Colin Friel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:23 pm 
Walleye

Thanks guys for all the info. Like I said it is my first bass boat so I am new to all this stuff. I was trying to get info from the guy I bought it off of but he didn't even know what size of prop was on the boat. Again thanks for the info and I will be definitly looking into some of your suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:34 am 
Walleye Angler

Hey Jay,
If you live in the Belleville area check with Brian Hadly at Bell. Sport and Lawn. He is good at setting up boats. :) :)

banner ad