Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:59 pm 
Walleye Angler

It is a well-understood maxim among fisherman that when you are sitting in your nice warm office, you usually wish that you were sitting in your boat and fishing instead.

There is a peculiarly paradoxical corollary to this - sometimes you are sitting in your boat fishing and wishing you were in your nice warm office.

Thursday and Friday was one of those times.

We started out trolling on Thursday mid-afternoon in perfect moderate south-west winds, and by late evening had nothing more than one fish to show for it - a nine-pounder caught just around 6 pm outside the harbour.

On Friday the wind shifted to the NNE and we shifted gears and tried jigging minnows, but succeeded in hooking not a fish.

The only fish on Friday was an eighteen-inch keeper caught in the afternoon off of Sherman's Point on a deep-diving clown Husky Jerk just as I was letting it out, a fish which [not a fishwhich] I later left lying on the grass overnight because I forgot about it.

[The fish's disappearance the next morning confirmed the presence of either an enterprising feline, or an equally-enterprising angler. If the latter, and if you read this, please tell me if it tasted good!]

Friday night produced nothing for us, and nobody else seemed to be having much luck either. I would say we most likely defied the odds by managing to catch two fish.

I believe the water is still too warm - though I can't give you a temperature since we didn't bring a thermometer. And I still believe the best fishing is yet to come.

We bailed on Saturday morning when the wind was forecast to shift further to the NE, and only on the way home learned of the change in the forecast that was to bring all the snow and other nasty stuff.

[Note: avoiding nasty stuff is generally recommended, unless of course the fish happen to be biting.]

Our one bright moment occured at the pizza place on Thursday night when my dad was skimming through his latest issue of the North American Fisherman magazine, and was amazed to see his own photo holding up his fifteen pound walleye which appears here on this website in THIS POST.

We hope to return Wednesday.

Cheers,

"Pass the Pitons" Pete