Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:53 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: fishing line
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:24 am 
Walleye Angler

has anyone here used power pro?? I was out with my spin rod last night using Berkley 6lbs XL mono and what a nightmare!! every time I'm out with that thing I spend more time cutting line and taking tangles off (which I end up having to dump a birds nest of line in the garbage every time I get home) I"m wondering if braided line has less of this problem, I already like what I hear about it being smaller diameter to strength, low memory and low stretch, but what about backlashes??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:17 pm 
Walleye

hey hoser swear by power pro have never broke it off on a fish and if it does tangle it is easy to get out.Although it is expensive it is well worth it.

banner ad
 Post subject: Power Pro
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:26 pm 
Walleye Fry

I have 20lb power pro on my rod. They claim it's the same size as 6 lb mono, pretty good deal. For strength and trolling it's a fantastic line. The casting isn't the greatest on my rod, i'm not sure if my graphite rod has to much whip for it or what but it has tangled around the eyes of my rod twice now and drives me nuts b/c i pretty much have to cut it and start over ago. But i have lifted fish out of the water with it and I never would do that with mono, there doesn't appear to be any memory with it yet and it is strong (which is nice if you snag bottom). I think it's a good product.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:21 pm 
Walleye Angler

thanks guys !! think I'll get some power pro !! :D

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:05 am 
Walleye Angler

picked up some power pro, thin stuff!!!! I got 10lbs, same diameter as 2lbs mono, fit the whole spool on my reel (never done that before). will have to give it a test run later with my homemade boilies on some big carp.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:46 pm 
Baitfish

Hoser, you are in for a pleasant treat. I've been using 10lb Power Pro about 5 years now. I tie on a small snap and attach directly whatever lure, usually a spinner. Casts better than anything I ever saw. You can detect every movement especially if you pick up some grass. Also the lightest strike feels hard. Be a bit more gentle with your strike and use more of a tighten movement or a lift than a jerk. It is hard to cut with a clippers. I use a small pair of scissors. Also I think it is best to use about a half reel of junk mono underneath and putting the Power Pro over it. Solid Power Pro tends to slip on the reel spool. You never have to change it altho the color will fade but doesn't hurt.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

oh yeah!!!! that is good line :D :D :D no annoying tangles on my reel all day, the sensitivity because the lack of stretch is great, had a bluegil hit my lure and sent a shock down the rod, you can feel everything. nice and smooth and casts really well. when my wife's line wears out gonna put it on her reels as well.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:37 pm 
Baitfish

Now if you were a cheapo like me you would put half the spool of new line over her present line. Then in a couple of years reverse it as the underneath stuff never gets used. I think in the long run it is cheaper just on the saved stuck lures it will save you.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:33 am 
Walleye Angler

"Now if you were a cheapo like me you would put half the spool of new line over her present line. Then in a couple of years reverse it as the underneath stuff never gets used."

oh yeah, I'm a cheapo alright, thanks for the advice :) I know what you mean about the stuck lures, I've got out of some snags yesterday where I'd normally lose the lure, I actually flipped a boulder over with my jig 8O but it's those rapala lures I worry about, they aren't cheap.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:17 pm 
Walleye

Hey guys to avoid spool slip put some electrical tape or pipe tape on the spool much easier than a uni and burn off the tag end so the knot dont slip through.PS good fishin :wink:

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:39 pm 
Walleye Angler

what I'm wondering though, is that just on the aluminum spools??? I'm using an ancient Silstar cx40 which is all graphite.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:12 pm 
Walleye

Because of the coating it seems to slip on any spool that i own anyway.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have had a problem tonite using it with really light bullet sinkers, seems if my rig is too light I get these crazy knots in it. had to scrap about 15 feet of it when I got home, at least I found out what was wrong, was night fishing and couldn't cast more then 10 feet and it would just go "thud" .

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:53 am 
Walleye Angler

anyone else get those little knots in the line when casting on a windy day?? they kind of look like "surgeon loop" knots that I'd use when fly fishing to attach tippets, they are a pain in the butt, but nothing like the tangled spools I used to get (glad I don't get that anymore)

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:12 pm 
Walleye

I also get the loops mostly when the line is new if you just pull the line they usually come right out

banner ad