Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:46 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

This was on the radio this morning. Did some hunting around and found this link. Its a bit scary to think of what might happen if this virus spreads to the bass and walleye
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/07/060720094531.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:49 pm 
Walleye Angler

serious stuff, I remember all the sheepshead last year. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:47 am 
Guppy

Could become a big problem. The Sheepshead were dying all over the place last year and I never knew the reason. Hopefully it doesnt spread to the "eyes". I would hate to see then belly up all over the Bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:07 am 
Walleye Angler

when I lived in hamilton a few years ago we would get a few dead sheepshead floating around the liftbridge, nothing like we got out here, doesn't take much for these diseases to spread, affecting the whole lake and the tribs.

Post subject: Hello Dan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:14 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hello Dan
It is indeed a potential item with some scarey possibilities. I remain puzzled as to why information has not been forthcoming by MNR on the Canadian side.

As much as most fear initially is oriented to and about the Great Lakes, it could equally be placed as a possible question towards inland waterways and questioning how this could be transferred. I understand that staff at MNR might feel downtrodden and have less than ideal morale, but I would suggest that perhaps there is a need to focus on the here and now and how to make the best of the resources at their disposal. Publically accessible information, offered in a forthright manner can be a real hit amongst tax payers, and a tool when dealing with a budget cutting politician that may or may not be there in a couple of years.

If it can be transferred via ballasts, etc....... this is a substantially larger problem. As to other questions, hopefully a few samples are being looked into on a number of fronts, including U of G on the Ontario front.

If this has been brought here by an uninvited guests, I would suggest that the outdoor communitys in both the US and Canada.....should insist on somehow getting shipping, etc. to comply. The potential cost to us all has not been quantified at the present time, but will be quite visible on a number of fronts....if this continues. My first information about this came first from a few associates and then publically from US media sources.

I remain puzzled with any organization that more often than not has a "cannot do" attitude as opposed to our southern neighbours...."can do". There are many ways to get any job done.

Just a few notes while working on V Island.

Regards
Don Stokes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

From articles here on the States side, the die off included gobies, a few muskies have been sited, one of my field crew found about 500 dead bass around Hard Scrabble area off Mud Creek. Of course as they have said, the dead fish on this side could have come across the lake from the west. Scary thing, I will wash and sanitize my boat and life well before coming over.

Daren

banner ad