Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Poppers on the fly rod
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:54 am 
Walleye Fry

I picked up some poppers for my fly rod and the small mouth were all over them. The poppers are so easy to cast as well, i was surprised. I popped around the surface weeds and over top of the underwater weeds and the small mouth were all over it. I then put the mouse on and tried for some largemouth but they will come. As long as I am catching something out on the river! My record small mouth on the fly is around 3 pounds which I caught yesterday and it was a good fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:14 am 
Walleye Angler

are you using the foam ones?? or the spun deer hair ones?? try riverside park north of the dam in the evening, around 8pm. the bass are jumping all over the place with the bugs out. there are a few around 4lbs but they are hard to find, haven't caught one like that in a while. I find the big bass really like clouser minnows ALOT 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:40 pm 
Walleye Fry

The ones I have are the hard (maybe wood or plastic) type. I got them from Skevy for like 2.60 a piece. Quite small actually but they make a good pop with my 7 lb rod. I've seen the soft poppers but haven't bought any yet. I was above the damn a couple days ago actually, just south of the 401 bridge. It was from 5-7pm, between work and baseball so I didn't even get to prime time yet. But I like that spot, weedy and deep. I bet there would be some gar there to along the shore too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

that is a good spot between 401 and the riverside dam, nothing huge mind you but for numbers, there's quite a few, I use the 5wt there and some small clousers and find some bass up to 2lbs. gar are really starting to show there presence near the pinnacle st. bridge now, I counted 30 within 20' of eachother, I had over 50 hits but only under 10 caught, use really light flies that will float somewhat, I had a #12 wooly bugger with white hackle and tail and a sparkle blue body, they pretty much destroyed it. I alternate between spin and fly talk, they really really like heddon torpedos!!!! sometimes more than bass do. If you can find flies with rattles in them they are a good asset. I bought mine at basspro and tied some patterns with them, they get the fishes attention a little more.

banner ad