Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: baitcasters
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:08 pm 
Walleye Angler

anyone here who uses baitcasters have any recommendations for a baitcasting combo or setup that is not overly expensive and of good quality. flipping bar optional (I don't really need one as I'm new to it) been reading and watching "how-to" videos on baitcasters and I want to get one now. also what do you prefer, centrifugal or magnetic spool control??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:11 pm 
Guppy

Bass Pro Shops has extreme combos for $120 here in the States. I've had two of them for a few years now with no problems (other than bird's nests).

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

the birdsnest or backlash, is that just a matter of the overrun control not being set exactly?? From what I heard it happens to all baitcasters from time to time.

banner ad
 Post subject: baitcasting reels
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:21 pm 
Walleye Angler

I would take your time and really look at what is out there. Please take yor time.

I would suggest that you want to maximize the amount of bearings (ideally sealed...not open....which most people will not be familiar with), and have a metal body if you want this to last for the long haul. There is a considerable amount of good product and always a limited amount of great product, with some that may not have a profile name but still be relevant depending upon your budget and how much you want to look into it.

The one factor I would suggest to determine where you buy your reel from, is where you can get service. If it is bought in the Quinte area I believe there is one local gentleman for repairs and Rockys/Aikmans for warrantys. Just some information to consider.

Regards
Don Stokes

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:38 pm 
Walleye Angler

thanks for the advice guys, while I really want one bad, it's not going to happen for a while, might not be until next year I get one so I'll do as much research as possible, better to get one that's going to last me for life than one that will fall apart or fail and end up having to spend more to replace it anyway. I know it's definatly going to be over a hundred bucks for any combo I want though.

banner ad
 Post subject: Baitcasters
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hoser

If your not going to get one for a while see if a buddy can let you try one.
It's like anything, everyone has a different opinion. Go to the tackle shops and look at all of them. When you get your outfit put yuor spining rod away and practice. Let me know and I would be glad to help you out.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:51 am 
Walleye Angler

don't have anyone I know who uses one (my dad did years ago with the old ones with no breaking on them, feathering was the only way to go).
so far I got the theory down, watching videos, reading, learning the physics of it all, which seems straight forward. you cast, that spool starts spinning, but once that line coming out starts to slow down, you better slow that spool down, or else !!! mess!!! I'm sort of used to something along the same line with fly fishing, if I strip line too fast on my old clicker, or one of my newer disc drag fly reels, the reel keeps spinning even when I stopped pulling line off, what a mess!! usually have to take all my fly line off and reel it back up, only difference being that a thick fly line is easier to get knots out of then mono or braid in small diameter. I will definately get one, but will shop around first. I want to learn to feather the spool regardless of what style breaking it has, probably a good thing to learn.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:49 am 
Walleye Angler

Also you need to see if you can use the right hand retreive reel. This is most common for baitcasters. Since I've used spinning reels my whole life I found that right hand retrieve was bass ackwards so I purchased the Shimano Citica left hand retreive reel and a 6'10" Shimano Compre rod, MH action.
I put a little too much line on which gave me some birds nests at first, I took off some line and now my backlashes are few and far between. I wanted to put it down and go back to my spinning rod but glad I stuck with my new set up. I love my new baitcaster. I'd recommend my make and model for sure.
I found the rod on ebay, the reel was shipped to me by Cabela's as the new model of Citica's LH models are few and far between up here.
Happy Shopping.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:01 pm 
Walleye Angler

thanks!! that was also another concern that I thought of, all my fly rods, and my spinning rod are setup for left hand retrieve, doesn't make sense to me to cast and then have to switch hands.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:09 pm 
Walleye

Hey hoser some of the abu garcia modles are nice i have 6501 left hand and have had it 4 years problem free.The quantum reel are great also they just cost a little more.PS try to get one with metal gears and practice casting with one and you will be fine :wink:

banner ad
 Post subject: baitcasters
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:33 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey Hoser,
Using a right hand reel isn,t that hard, but you may prefer LH.
There are a few LH available but may have to be ordred. The ABU is a good reel for the price and I have 2. You can try one of mine. Send me a PM if you want to.

Leon

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:42 pm 
Walleye Angler

well, I got one!!! a 6'6" 1 piece Abu garcia with a 3ball bearing reel , and magnetic braking. I did what I learned off the internet, I turned the break to zero, the spool control up all the way, with a 1/4oz weight on the end and pressed the freespool button, then adjusted the spool control until the weight slowly fell to the floor causing a little bit of back lash. then I turned the brake to 5. so while watching tv, I practiced releasing the lure while thumbing and stopping it with my thumb before it hit the floor. will have to get outside on the water sometime this weekend and make short lob casts until I get used to it, was told on some websites not to snap the cast being a beginner or this will surely put some high rpm's on the spool and being a newb will get some serious backlash. btw, I loaded the spool up with 1/4" of space left on the spool, and used Berkley XL 17 lbs.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

Good luck with your new toy hoser. I hope it bring you all the best. :D

banner ad
 Post subject: baitcaster
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:20 am 
Walleye

Quick little trick I've learned, now that your in the baitcaster faternity, get a small crochet hook to keep in your tackle box, should be able to get one at the dollarstore. They're invaluable when you do get a backlash. I use baitcasters almost exclusively and in the past seven or eight years I've only ever had one birdsnest I couldn't get out.
One other thing that's not in the videos, baitcasters can be a bitch on a windy day, they are difficult to control if you are casting light baits into the wind.
Enjoy, I think you'll really come to love your baitcaster.

take the grandkids fishin

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:58 am 
Walleye Angler

crochet hook, is that the one that is C shaped?? if so that's good because I have one like that I use to help put "shorb" loops in the furled leaders I make for my fly rods. will have to put it in my tackle bag. I heard what wind can do, I was also told never to 2 hand it, just use the wrist and let the rod to the work, when you do become really great at it how far should I expect my casts to be?? so far I can pitch and flip, not very well mind you, but used to play around with that on the spinning rod even though I've never needed to, I'm getting the hang of feathering, watching tv with the rod pointing upward on a 45 degree angle, I'll let it drop, feathering the spool and then stop it before it hits the floor (with 2/5 oz weight) Can't wait till saturday. I've been fly fishing for a year and a half and just getting a little bored with it, also hard to get down to the bigger smallmouth hugging the bottom in the trent, even with a class IV sink tip the current makes it hard. was out the other day with tube baits and my spinning rod and nailed 3 bass all over 3lbs in less than an hour, that also convinced me to put the fly rods away for a little while.

banner ad