Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tragedy at Hay Bay
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:03 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Watching the TV news last night,saw that Hay Bay had apparently claimed another fisher, who was out in the high waves and apparently sans life jacket.

Can't find anything in Belleville or Kingston Papers this morning.

Play Carefully.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:57 am 
Walleye Catcher

David,
Some people will never learn. On a calm day it's a good thing to wear a life jacket, on a bad day it's a must.
The name same says it all-LIFE JACKET...Larry

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:51 am 
Walleye Angler

haybay larry wrote:
David,
Some people will never learn. On a calm day it's a good thing to wear a life jacket, on a bad day it's a must.
The name same says it all-LIFE JACKET...Larry

Got to agree! As a relative newcomer to Canada I have never really gotten my head around the ruling that all persons in a boat must have a life jacket....but don't need to wear it! If its in a locker , strapped to the seat, in a box, lying around, what good is it when you need it? Doh!!
Its a no brainer for me and can't see why its not compulsory to wear it at all times when out on the water. Devices are available today that are comfortable and relatively unobtrusive. I wear mine all the time, even when fishing with others in the boat. This 'must be worn' legislation is now in place in Ireland and I am informed its made a big difference in the fatality figures over time.

Another tragedy non the less and my heart goes out to all concerned however its so frustraiting to think it might have been avoided...
One thing that really annoys me is some of the fishing shows (NOT ALL) where they ARE NOT BEING WORN BY THE pRO'S? I would have thought a these shows would be a great way to get the message across, particularly the young? Perhaps it's not seen as being very 'Macho'? I sincerely hope not!

Be happy, take care, enjoy!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:47 am 
Baitfish

Just what we don't need, "another government regulation".

Surely mature adults have the right to decide ....for themselves.....if they want to wear a life jacket........or a seat belt, or helmet for that matter.
If they chose not to and suffer the conseequences, so be it.....

Do we need the govt. to look after us from "cradle to grave"........that's what really scares me......

We are responsible for our own actions. Todays attitude seems to be, "It wasn't my fault.....someone should have been looking after me."

Well, that's my rant for the day.......thanks for the indulgence..

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

You are entitled to your opinion and that's the way it should be. However, I would ask you to consider those who have to deal with such tragedies...the families, friends etc. It's those who are left behind who have to deal with it...and I doubt they would agree with you.

Stay safe.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:51 pm 
Baitfish

Mr. Macadanian

I have in my lifetime had to deal with many family tragedies of my own involving very close relatives. I'm not going to go into detail but, let me say, not once did it come to mind that "the government" should have protected them from this happening.

You are right, everyone is entitled to they're own opinion. I've presented mine and I respect yours.

I mean no disrespect for the families involved in this recent incedent and my sympathy goes out to them, for I know all too well what they are feeling.

Regards

Brian

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

Brian, perhaps my last post was a little clumsy. I did not intend for it to sound that you had a lack of respect...and am appalled that it may have come over that way. I was simply trying to point out that the wearing of a lifejacket may have saved so much pain and suffering and if it means that government have to bite the bullet re the compulsory wearing of life jackets whilst afloat then so be it. I realise that this may be seen by yourself and indeed others, too much interference by government in how we conduct out lives, however, it seems to me that sometimes we all need a little encouragement to do the right and sensible thing, and by so doing, perhaps avoid many of the tragic incidents of the type that we are discussing, and save so many people the associated heartache that inevitably follows.

Best

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:43 am 
Walleye Master

A little common sence goes a long ways............. would you wear shorts and a t shirt to go ice fishing? .......... but lets not make laws that would only bennifit the government so they can give you a ticket, and take your money in fines by not following the laws............ yes lets make them wear a seat belt in a car so we can fine them if they dont............ if they were so worried about a persons safty why would they allow a person to ride a motorcycle on the 401? but fine a person for not wearing a seat belt in a car? ............... the law to have a life jacket on board is a great law. i think we all agree on that............. but......... i think its a proven fact more water accidents happen on docks, or on bad ice lets make it a law that if you are within 50 feet of any body of water no matter how big or small we should have to wear a PFD ............... like i said. a little common sence goes a long ways.............. be safe guys. use your head.

banner ad
banner ad