Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Fall Fishing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:25 am 
Walleye

I plan on making my first fall trip to quinte this year. I have spent the last week or so reading past post from years past. A few questions I do have though are 1. I have a couple medium action 6'6' rods that i use all the time are these suitable or do i need to upgrade to a heavy action rod. Also I should mention that I don't have down riggers and was planning on flatline trolling only and not using planner boards (will this do). 2. I have seen that the fish caught not using downriggers are usually at depths between 20-40 feet are these fish on bottom or are they suspended in 60-100 feet of water. 3. What is the earliest date the hogs may be moving back in, I have read that december is the best but how much sooner have they ben caught. (September,October). Thanks in Advance for any Info and Congrats on a great board, I dont often post but i do read daily.

Post subject: Fall Fishing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:55 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Hi Beer Guy,

You've covered a lot of ground in your post and I'll offer my thoughts.

I think you can get away with 6'6" rods, although longer rods are the norm and absorb more of the big fish power.

You mentioned flatlining which will work, but I remember Targa saying a while back -" if you want a chance for 2 -3 fish then flatline, if you want to raise the odds for 10 fish - then use in-line or big planer boards"

You'll catch fish flatling.

The last season saw much of the fall action east of the ferry in some very deep water - the fish are suspended 20-40' down and people are catching them with deep divers, leadcore line and some use downriggers.

When will the big fish arrive? - the $64,000 Question Watch the board and see if anyone posts. Oct/Nov are better months - Dec is tricky.

Be careful on the water and stay tuned.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:16 am 
Baitfish

Ya know, I've never met the guy, but am lookin forward to it. But David (Superdad) has got to be one of the most agreeable and helpfull guys around all these fishing boards. He's always there with helpfull advice and doesn't mind sharing his vast experience..

Thanks again David and keep up the "good" work...

The good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we'll meet up with ya in the fall.......

Good fishin

Brian

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:05 pm 
Walleye

I have to agree BLR David sure is a helpful guy, also set me up with some uzicks this summer which boated me a great number of fish. Thanks David your a great help.

banner ad
 Post subject: go with david avise
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:52 pm 
Walleye

superdad been fishing quinte for a long time and is all ways there too give some great tips. i agree with the longer rods and inline planer boards. last fall i add big jon planer mask and otter boats to my alumacraft. worked good, but iam going to add about 9 t0 ten inches to the mask before i go to quinte in the second week of november our second trip to quinte. it will help get the main line away from the water, as you may know, you are aloud two rods per person east of the ferry. the small offshore (yellow ones work great too for starting out.) i also pick up some bigjon manual down rigger that i be using for the first time this year. early november to end of december are good time for fall fishing. my buddy kim has a saying, if you don't freeze your ass off it's not the right time, lol. any ways, happy fishing, see you on the water, walleyedreamer. two more days and i be there with my buddys, kim and wayne yahoo.

Last edited by walleyedreamer on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

Quote:
(Superdad) has got to be one of the most agreeable and helpfull guys around all these fishing boards. He's always there with helpfull advice and doesn't mind sharing his vast experience..

Ditto!! One of the reasons I "stay tuned". :)

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:30 am 
Jumbo Perch

One thing to consider is reel size. You should be trolling 300 feet back over 40 - 60 feet of water so you need a reel that will hold a fair bit of line. Invest in good rod holders so you don't encourage tendonitis and make sure your reels have an audible clicker then back off the drag until it slips when moving at trolling speed and tighten till it just holds. When you hear the drag slip. lift the rod, tighten the drag and sweepset the hook. Another big walleye in the boat.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:32 am 
Jumbo Perch

I forgot to show you what I mean by big.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:06 pm 
Walleye Master

:D

This thread is making me excited. Big walleye.....nothing beats it. ....thats the time of the year where dreams can be made.....

we are still a few months away, but my inlines, stretch 20's, and leadcore reels are already calling.....

ImageImageImage

Last edited by steve-hamilton on Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:49 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Since we are in the spirit of bragging, I caught this hawg east of the ferry a few years back. I was flatline trolling a clown taildancer with 250 feet of line. I was letting the current take us east and using an electric motor to keep us on course. I was in 80 feet of water and marked this fish at 40.

This one I caught in Picton harbour in Oct 03 using a clown stick bait with a load of line out too.

I am hoping to make a triumphant return this November and am coming equipped with a new 7' rod to haul in some trophies!

In terms of inline planer boards, since I rent my boat, that's probably my best bet. The current/electric method was good, but tough to control at times. Any suggested brands or techniques that you can pass along?

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:56 pm 
Walleye Angler

Bring it on!

-et

banner ad
 Post subject: still want more
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:55 am 
Jumbo Perch

I was just getting started

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:32 am 
Walleye Angler

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the net 8O

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:43 am 
Guppy

I can Smell it in the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soon my friends.........Soon!!!

Bender

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:37 pm 
Walleye

Double your pleasure, 2 eyes, one rod.

you figure it out :lol: :lol:

roughrider out 8)

[url="http://www.myfishingpictures.com/?p=78896&c=507&z=1"]Image[/url]

banner ad
banner ad