Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:42 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Has anyone tried WD40 on their baitcasters for lubrication? Someone told me that this works but I am leary. He said you just put it on all moving parts and into slots (without the need to take apart those newer baitcasters which is not always easy). :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:13 am 
Jumbo Perch

Most drags today are not supposed to be oiled. So, if you start spraying a bunch of any type of oil into the reel it will work its way into the drag system. To do it right the reel has to be taken apart, properly cleaned, greased and oiled. When done right you only need to do it once a year.

banner ad
 Post subject: Lubrication
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:35 am 
Walleye Angler

WD 40 great stuff. It won,t hurt your reel at all. When i used to fish in saltwater i would spray my reels after use. Most people would, as you know salt water can be a killer. Over the winter i go over all my reels and take them apart and clean and oil them. Drag washers are only small steel discs
and i don,t think oil hurts them.

Tight Lines and good luck to all :D :D

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

think my abu garcia could use a little oiling. little afraid to take it apart with spings and other little parts flying all over the place. I've heard of a lube for baitcasters called "hotsauce" supposed to be really slick.

banner ad
 Post subject: Lube
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:30 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey Hose,
There is not too much to them. If you have never done it I can do it for $10.00 a reel. Coplete cleaning and oiling.

banner ad
 Post subject: fishing reel maintenance
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

Fishing reels generally see products like WD40 as "friendly". No doubt there are exceptions to this rule, but in 99% of the cases I have seen, it is a solid product. Using an old toothbrush can be a quick way to get at many hard to reach places and produces a decent finish.

Sliding parts on a reel (eg. main shaft on a spinning reel) generally see a light oil like for a sewing machine or gun.

Grinding parts on a reel generally require something a tad heavier in a greese. This requires some thought as to temperature rating and performance.

Some petroleum based products can be harmful to lines.

Drags can require a special touch and special products for optimum performance.

There was a gentleman in the Belleville/Trenton area that repaired reels for a long time. If this fellow (I believe his last name is Chesterton?) is still doing it, he would be a good choice in getting any reel overhauled. There is also Rockies in Orillia and Aikmans in Mississauga.

Just a few quick thoughts.
Regards

Donald Stokes

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:43 pm 
Walleye Angler

just got home from meyers pier, well, my baitcaster fell apart. the anti reverse started to fail then the reel grinded to a halt. I opened it up and parts fell out. damnit!!

so..... anyone want a 6'6" 1 piece abu garcia rod?? see the trade/sell forum

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:34 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Hey Iceman.
Many drag discs are mylar (I think thats what it is) or graphite in conjunction with the metal discs. Most of these types are not supposed to be oiled (for example Abu Garcia 6500 and 7000). It's best to check on the web for proper procedures.
Like Don Stokes said, WD is good for cleaning and maybe a quick fix on the boat, but you need proper grease for the gears and oil for the bearings and sleeves especially if you're going to fish in cold weather.

banner ad
 Post subject: Reels
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:00 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey Larry,
I've been using it for years. Never seen a drag washer made of plastic or gaphite. They would not stand up as the washers press against the end of the shaft. I am suprised hoser's reel fell apart unless the screws came out. I have a 6500 and a 3600 and have had many years of good service. Those
swedes make a good product. :o :o :lol: :lol:

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:57 pm 
Walleye Angler

iceman, let's just say mine was the most bottom of the line model they have, it's a 1003 low profile, the whole thing being plastic, I've actually seen the models you mention and mine just does not even compare to those, those are the NICE abu's . I wished I had one of those instead. maybe sometime when I could afford one.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:51 pm 
Walleye

Hoser, don't feel bad about not having the best equipment. I am saving up to buy a used reel and some rusty lures. I can't wait until I can afford trebel hooks to put on the lures, my chances of catching a fish should skyrocket at that time. I have a valid fishing license though, so I am somewhat prepared for the eventuality of catching a fish. The Swedes make great fishing reels in China? The French make the best fishing reels. Vive la Mitchell in Sigapore.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have a browning spin reel that has the drag disks in the back, the drag sticks and needs a good tug before releasing. I suspect this is because i oiled the drag and now I can't get the oil out of the disks.

banner ad
 Post subject: Business opportunity
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:26 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Is there a business in the Kingston/Napanee/picton/Belleville/trenton area that specifically would service (oil and lubricate) all types of reels for people who prefer to have somebody else do this line of work? I imagine if you have staff that do this work on a regular basis they will get very good at it - it may become an art after a while. I know there are some anglers that can strip their baitcasters completely apart and put everything back in proper order and others that do not have this talent or prefer that someone with more experience tackle this job -especially if you are messing with a pricey reel .

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:19 pm 
Goby

here are some sites if you want to do it yourself
http://home.att.net/~kelley_brown/reelservice.html
http://home.att.net/~kelley_brown/abuservice.html
http://home.att.net/~kelley_brown/spinner.html

banner ad
 Post subject: reels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey Stanley,
Some ABU's are still made in sweden. There are some guys that sell some equp. every year. A used quality reel is sometimes better than a new cheap
one.
:lol: :lol: Bring me your reels !!!

banner ad
banner ad