Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Walleye Bladder
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:30 am 
Walleye

I was just wondering what a safe depth would be to bring walleye in from deep.I like to practise catch and release and I don't want to see a fish with a swollen swim bladder.If I remember correctly from last year a safe depth was 30ft and higher .Do some of you guys catch them deeper with any issues?What can I do to save a fish if the bladder swells?I just bought a set of clip weights and I am afraid to go to deep and end up killing a fish.

Mike the Pike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:45 am 
Walleye Master

mike, there is no exact depth. you'll find fish rising from 55-60' to take your bait running in 20'.

best you can do is just keep your baits high (not using funny stuff either), and if you get one with the bladder out....well.....so be it.

either keep it, take the big vein out, and eat it, or let it go....its just going back into the ecosystem.....

have fun out there!!!! :D

Post subject: Fish's bladder
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:34 am 
Guppy

From past experiences on BOQ I would say that staying in the top 30 feet of water with your lures gives the returned walleyes the best chance of survival without damaging their swim bladder. There are plenty of fish in the top 30 feet so why go any deeper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:47 am 
Minnow

My opinion, fish the top 30 feet like everyone else is saying and try not to play them too long. Also, be very careful handling fish that you plan on releasing. I see pictures every year of fish covered in blood. Guess where guys are holding these fish.... yes, inside the gill plate. If you insist on holding fish there, take off your gloves and carefully grab the plate, not the gills. I've accidentally gilled a fish or two before and they bled like stuck pigs. Also... if you net a fish and bring it into the boat, get it under control. A hooked fish thrashing on the floor of the boat can do a lot of damage to itself.
You may already know these things but if you're serious about C&R you need to be careful right??

Post subject: Points
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:19 am 
Jumbo Perch

Good Catch and Release points! Better to let the 8lber go so somebody can catch it when it is 9lbs next year.

banner ad