Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Press Release...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:18 pm 
Minnow

Firstly I thank Vince for his reply to my concerns. I didn't read the posting until I had already send out a press release of my own to 12 different papers and radio stations in the area. I appreciate your support, but I would have sent out the release regardless. That is not to say we would not take you up on your offer to participate in any conservation projects with the MNR in the future, we will be there. Anyhow, that being said, this is what I sent out today. Maybe I have way to much time on my hands these days.LOL....

My family and I are members of the Napanee and District Rod and Gun Club, the same club that runs the Springside Fish Hatchery in Napanee. We got a call to meet this Sunday morning at Northport park to collect spawn for the hatchery. Arrangements had been made to meet with a local commercial fisherman who was going to provide the walleye and some other volunteer from the club. Sunday morning at 9:00 we set out with our kids for the park, expecting to have a great day, learn something new and help keep the walleye population strong in other lakes as well as our own. When we got there we were greeted my a white van blocking the boat ramp and several OPSUE strikers, and then told that we would not be collecting any spawn at all. Without the spawn there will be no hatchery to run. Soon the walleye will be spawned out and it will be too late. When I asked them where they were at night when the park was crawing with men with spears I was told "We're on strike". SO??? What was to stop these men and women "on strike" from blocking the beach at night, or the other boat lauches where the Natives go out to collect their nets day and night? Hell no, that would be too controversial, or too dangerous or politically incorrect. Instead they stop a group of local volunteers from trying to do a good thing, something that the MNR should be doing themselves. I hope you all slept good that night, knowing that eventually you will strike yourselves right out of a job. No fish, no need for enforcement, which has probably been the MNR's plan all along. Cut costs through job elimination. But live well folks, knowing that while you collect no pay, your OPUSE union management folks are living high off the hog on your dues. Support you in your efforts, not likely.

Thanks for taking the time to read, I'll leave you alone now.. :wink:

Post subject: Shame Shame Shame.....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:44 pm 
I wish you well Net person. This act has infuriated people. Volunteers deserve better.
Regards
Don Stokes

banner ad