Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:33 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:04 pm 
I have been away for awhile and have been brought up to speed on some of the recent BOQ developments. Just a few thoughts on this cold February morning.

The delayed MNR 2001 report- interesting stuff; I trust that the individual and collective management actions, combined with the huge economic fallout will see some staff being brought to task (I am an idealist....lol); this does not mean that people should breath a deep sigh of relief....it is a wakeup call about the collective harvest and management actions that have been done in the past, present and future.

The BOQ Committee- this remains a good idea in my optimistic mind..... only if they are given a bonafide chance to provide the region with options and alternatives that are community driven (to get the maximum support); possible access to resources, contacts to "undo" the collective damage that has been incurred
- the chairperson assigned is not from this area; this might be a good move..... or a very bad one if this fellow does not relate and understand the BOQ grassroots. It is essential to get the community to work together to common objectives. This can happen with a crossection of respected people in the area.... it will not happen without getting the right personnel onboard.

The idea of putting things back to "Business as usual in regards to regulation and harvest in the BOQ"- this would be a poor move in my opinion; we have entered a time of harvest, community and global concerns that relate to our collective outdoors; we should all take a deep breath and honestly think about how we as individuals and collectively as a regional community could make this work; there are examples in various parts of the country and continent; this situation can be made to work better (not prefectly but better) if one is prudent enough to see beyond their own needs and rights (rights applies to us all)

Community Fish Hatchery- I am extremely biased in this regard. I believe fully that communities (with bio guideance) should have the option of rearing native species to put back into locally identified and qualified waters. This simple move does more to instill confidence and community support than all the dollars wasted on so many projects forced upon us. I would like to see the Springside Community Fish Hatchery group (my job is done there) be allowed to begin to put something back into the BOQ, be it sturgeon, rainbow trout, walleye (offshore Lk. Ont. fishery perhaps), etc. The tools are in place for this Napanee group to rear either warm water or coldwater species, with some apparently new ponds now onboard. I wish them well and will continue to support them in this true community initiative.

Nets- this has been on the backburners for a while but will no doubtedly heat up when in the upcoming months. This is also one of the few areas where a substanial majority agree (natives and non natives). Eliminate all gill nets still makes sence with live release gear being the only bonafide option left for the commercial/illegal sector.

It is troubling to see so much opportunity, with so much shortsightedness (this dates back generations regarding the actions being taken to manage the BOQ). I believe that it would be possible for the BOQ area to become a positive outdoor example for Canada if not all of North America. We have the right stuff regarding the genetics in both walleye, bass and no doubt numerous other species. C&R, trophy pins, certificates, etc. all have yet to be introduced here..... there are so many good ideas..... such a shame to not see this area recieve more.

We need to raise the bar as to what we expect of both ourselves, others and in particular MNR management. This simple exercise would reap a return significantly greater than most could imagine. The staff and expertise are out there...in the ranks. Good people that want to make a sytem and an example that works..... why not the BOQ. It has happened on the Grand R., and many others through solid management that speaks to and listens to the community.

I aplogize for rambling and I do wish you all the best. We deserve better (natives and non natives).

Respectfully
Don Stokes :D
"trout fisherperson"