Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:12 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Deseronto Fishing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:55 am 
Minnow

I have been working Deseronto the past few days and fishing has been good. Have not been skunked yet but I have heard lots of moaning and groaning about no fish. I have been working 16 to 20 feet of water, landing a couple in the morning and a couple in the evening for the past 5 days. Sizes ranging from 14" to 28". Good ol, medium red Champ is the only lure I carry and use. I have caught them on minnows and on Gulps it does not seem to matter but I must admit that the minnows are creating more hits if not more landed fish. The ice is actually a little sketchy even after this cold spell. It ranges from 12" in the Bay down to 4" in the channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:10 am 
Minnow

LureWasher, I'm planning to fish Deseronto on Sunday, where would you recommend I get minnows close by? I think I've used Moon's before and as I recall there were a couple of others selling minnows as you come in from Hwy 49.

Thanks,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:49 am 
Minnow

I have always just went to Moon's. His minnows have varied in size toward the small side but this season they are nicely sized so far. There is another good minnow source right at the intersection of 49 and Deseronto Road at the foot of the bridge, sign at end of lane, which also leads to a parking area to fish on the east side of the bridge.

Hottest times for bites in Deseronto....7:30 am to 8:30 am ( females) second bite 9:30 to 10:30 ( males ), 3:30 pm to 5 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:48 pm 
Minnow

Thanks LW, I appreciate the info. Not sure what time I'll be on the ice on Sunday, but hopefully mid-morning. I'm plannning to leave my place in Whitby about 6:30am and pick up my gear at my dad's place in Picton so maybe we can catch part of the mid-morning bite and definitely the late afternoon.

I think maybe we talked last year, do you have a green portable hut? If so, I'm the guy with the similar hut, but with a silver tarp -- talked to you the last weekend of the season last year, I was with my dad.

If that's you, I'll be on the look out and come over and say hey if I see ya.

Thanks again,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:45 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for all the info. Me and a BOQ hardwater virgin are coming up for sat/sun. I really would like to see him flop a big boy on the ice, take a picture, throw him back and I'll catch the pan size. It's only wed and I can't sleep already. :D
He's been on the bay before but I'm a lousy guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:11 am 
Baitfish

Lurewasher, just curious on you mentioning the location on the east side of the bridge, is it a good access for walking out. Unortunately dont have on ice transportation..

regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:36 am 
Walleye Master

Its good to walk out but I wouldnt use an atv...
Mike :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:58 pm 
Minnow

Just East of the Bridge the water is flooding over the ice right now. I noticed most of the fishermen have moved down further east today. Strong current there I do not venture out near the bridge unless there is a real steady cold under -15. The ice can disappear pretty quickly.

Was out at Deseronto park this morning, pretty slow but hooked one about 3 lbs and a couple of 12 inchers that I slipped back down the hole. Plenty of ice at Deseronto....4 to 8 ". A lot of ATV's out there but....one went through last week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:56 am 
Walleye Angler

When you say east of the bridge.... how far? Not up by the lighthouse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:59 am 
Walleye Angler

I gave it a shot (2pm-5:30pm)yesterday off Deseronto. I went straight out off centennial park. I was in about 20ft of water close to the channel and had about 4 inches of black ice.
I got skunked. Not even a hit. The guy next to me pulled in a 4-5 pound fish. That's all I saw caught around me. When leaving the ice 3 young guys had a couple nice fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:06 am 
Minnow

Fished 10:00am - 5:15pm on Sunday, caught lots of perch, but no walleye unfortunately. Perch action was fairly steady all day which kept things interesting, but I was really hoping to get into some walleyes. Fished right out from the park, started deeper and moved shallower in hopes of finding some eaters, but no takers.

MNR was out doing the survey thing, the guy I talked to said that it was really slow all over because all the shad hadn't died off yet -- he said he was out all day Saturday and only saw 5 fish.

Talked to a couple of guys in the parking lot that had gotten 4 fish early in the morning and another around 3:30 -- maybe I'll have to try the morning bite next trip.

I was really happy I bought that propane heater for the hut, otherwise it would have been pretty frosty.

Over all, had a great day on the ice and I will hope to be back again in a couple of weeks.

Good luck to all, stay safe out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:22 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Fished out from Deseronto boat launch on sunday morning. we were on the ice from about 630 till 10 am. Landed a nice 6lb 11 oz around 8 o clock. We marked a lot of fish after 8 on the vex but they just weren't in the mood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:30 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

how far out do you guys go from dez, me and a bunch of my buddies are gonna try fishin dez 2moro since we're done our exams..was the fishing good today?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:08 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Guys,

You are taking your life into your hands fishing anywhere close to the bridge. An acquaintance was out from the boat ramp at the bridge Saturday afternoon. He was fishing alone and he fell though up to his arm pits. He does not own a floater suit. He was luck he did not go right under. The next time he would come up is Belleville. This guy only fishes a couple times a year and he heard the fishing was good at the bridge. He just walked out blindly.

I fished the reach on Sunday Morning. There is only 4" out in front of Huffs.

BATMAN 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:06 am 
Walleye Master

I agree dont fish blind!!! Pay attention to what the tackle shops say for thickness.... high current areas are always risky! I fished in my buddys hut out from the launch saturday and got skunked but that's what I do in the winter.... stinky stanky stunky! Also heard of a poor sledder hitting a dock down that way last week and losing her life, my condolences. Gotta play safe! Im out to go even more east and get me a beast come the weekend, I dont care if I only get one walleye this year as long as it's big! Go BIG OR Go HOME!
Mike :)