Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:03 am 
Walleye Angler

Don't trust anyone when it comes to the thickness of ice specially when it comes to the bay even at the bait shops earlyier this season I was told by the person at the bait store it was safe to drive an atv on to find out we had 4 inches 2 clear and 2 snow to be safe check it yourself we have all seen how some guys guess fish saying the got a 6 pounder then you see it and its only 3lbs the same goes for the ice I couldn't belive the cops were out on sleds at huffs the ice was shitty there sat 7 in in spots walk 20 yards and have 3

If u don't wanna get a drink standing up check for yourself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:30 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Vexslayer wrote:
Don't trust anyone when it comes to the thickness of ice specially when it comes to the bay even at the bait shops earlyier this season I was told by the person at the bait store it was safe to drive an atv on to find out we had 4 inches 2 clear and 2 snow to be safe check it yourself we have all seen how some guys guess fish saying the got a 6 pounder then you see it and its only 3lbs the same goes for the ice I couldn't belive the cops were out on sleds at huffs the ice was shitty there sat 7 in in spots walk 20 yards and have 3

I couldn't agree MORE, Nothing pisses me off more when You're at a bait shop buying minnows etc etc, asking what the ice is like and you get told "tons of ice and lots of fish..." This has happened to me and a buddy several times just to get out there and find out what we were told is not even one third of what they claimed!

Not all of them are like this but I have to say TRUST YOUR OWN EYES! just because you see 4 wheelers out on the ice, doesn't mean its safe it could mean someone is just very stupid!

I will give two Thumbs up to MOONS Bait shop in Deseronto, He was straight with the goods sunday morning, told is it was sketchy in parts and where to stay clear of.

Just so we're clear i don't expect the bait shops to know details of the ice everywhere all the time but if they're going to give opinions on it, especially on this forum at least measure the ice don't guess.

Be Safe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:10 pm 
Walleye

maverick wrote:
Vexslayer wrote:

I couldn't agree MORE, Nothing pisses me off more when You're at a bait shop buying minnows etc etc, asking what the ice is like and you get told "tons of ice and lots of fish..." This has happened to me and a buddy several times just to get out there and find out what we were told is not even one third of what they claimed!

Not all of them are like this but I have to say TRUST YOUR OWN EYES! just because you see 4 wheelers out on the ice, doesn't mean its safe it could mean someone is just very stupid!

I will give two Thumbs up to MOONS Bait shop in Deseronto, He was straight with the goods sunday morning, told is it was sketchy in parts and where to stay clear of.

Just so we're clear i don't expect the bait shops to know details of the ice everywhere all the time but if they're going to give opinions on it, especially on this forum at least measure the ice don't guess.

Be Safe!

Well said Mav.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

I gave Deseronto another go this afternoon. I went off the park again but this time a bit further west. I moved off from the crowd pretty close to the middle between forresters island and main land. I fished from 2-7 without even a hit. I changed up my lures constantly trying to get something going.
I really need to invest in a flasher/ff. It'll at least give me something to do than stare at the inside walls of my shelter. :lol:
Ice was about 6" thick. 2" clear and 4" white.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:19 am 
Walleye

Wiggler I just bought a Lowrance X67c Ice machine and it is awsome if your looking to buy a unit. Also it can be used in the summer. The thing about fishing without a fishfinder is your unsure if the fish arent biting or if your even neat fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

Gave Deseronto another go today...why I beat myself up so much is beyond me :lol:
Fished 2:30 - 6.
same ol same ol I have got the foulest smell emanating from me these days!!

I was in about 20ft of water. current was fair to moderate. Ice is hurtin though. drilled 2 holes and one had an inch of clear with 3 of white. the other didn't seem to have any clear. Kinda scary cause a guy came out on a sled not that far from me.
Didn't see any fish caught.

Anything for a beer: I thought about getting the x67c but I really want something with gps as well. So I noticed the m68c which would be perfect for me except it won't take sd/mmc cards with maps on it. It only has built in US maps.

banner ad