Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Late weekend report
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:41 pm 
Walleye

,Saturday spent a very cold breezy day close to the bridge. 3 in. white ice.

Saw 2 older gentlemen on a atv go thru the ice close to the bridge. One was under for quite awhile, when his foot was caught up in the machine. Luckily the current had just died temporarily! A bunch of us went over to help them out. Two other fishermen gave up one of their portables to let them warm up in. Another american angler gave up his heater so they had 2 heaters. An ambulance was called later, because we were concerned about the long walk in for the two men. As far as I know everything turned out okay. I don't like to knock people when they're down but *** man... these two gentlemen were locals, that lived just on the other side of the bridge!! They should have known better than to ride a machine out there and even worse... ride double! I was nervous on the ice just walking! The current was so bad, anglers with flashers said they were useless because the lures were so far from the hole.

I caught one 5# eye and saw another 5 caught between 20 or so anglers. There were tons marked but not hitting. Most were on pimples.

Hit Simcoe Sunday, ended up with about 20 perch out from Beaverton. Saw a walleye and whitefish on the aqua vu but couldn't get them to eat.

Stay safe

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:56 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

damn that sucks for those guys! i'm pretty sure everyone was warned not to go out at the bridge..especially on an atv like wow..did there atv sink down?(a guy had said they just float cuz it has enough air in the tires but i think thats kind of impossible).. and if people get there atv's and snowmobiles sunk ..how do they get it out? or do they just leave it there?
nice report!
Aadil :)

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:20 pm 
Walleye

By the way the guy described it... his machine went down and took him down with it, quite a ways. It was probably only 30 secs. but it seemed like he was under for a long time. I don't know how he managed to find the hole?! At first, I was wishing I hadn't been there Saturday morning to witness it... but then I was glad I was. Because you learn a lot from it! Like I would never have thought about sticking to the ice after crawling out of the water. But that's exactly what happened to the first guy. Him being soaked and the ice being dry and without snow... he stuck to it like a tongue to a frost fence! It did take away some of my fishing concentration for the day though! About 50 yards from where they went in, is a pail marking where another atv went in a few days before!

I've also heard that a four wheeler will flip over and float, but I haven't seen any go by me while I've been standing on clear ice! :O)

glenn

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:32 am 
Walleye

I wonder how many need to go through before people smarten up?? I think that is at least 3 now that I know of between the park in Deseronto and the bridge. This is your lives people, you only get one! I know walleye are good eating but come on.
Safety first!

banner ad
banner ad