Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:43 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Try Clock Wise
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:42 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Leeworthy,

If your left handed, you may have been turning the auger counter-clockwise. Try turning the handle clock-wise. This should cut your hole cutting time at least in half. LOL

Ya, the same thing happened to me with my power Jiffy auger. It was running backwards. I couldn't get a hole though 4 inches of ice. I sent it back for repair. It only took 4 weeks to get it back. According to Jiffy, this was the first time they ever saw this happen. Not. LOL

BATMAN 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:07 am 
Walleye Master

If your starting on jagged ice it can take a while to bore a hole..... new blades you should be through 12" in no time unless your just a wimp.... ha ha j/k! when shitty ice to start on I usually find the flattest surface of ice and sometimes alittle snow on top can help get things started. 50-60 holes is nothing I have put in at least 200 for 1 dam walleye!!! My wife knows better to tell me to give up but I hope the ice melts fast Im sick of it .....
Mike :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:50 pm 
Guppy

I 'am drilling 4 holes each time I go out
I use a normark swed-bore 8"
I 'am going through 10-16" of ice 4 holes in under 10min. and no I 'am not the hulk I just look like him LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:59 pm 
Walleye

Well, I must be doing something wrong then lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:46 pm 
Walleye

Leeworthy,

I also do a hole a minute with my 8 inch auger. I've used it for 4 years, and about 8 trips a year. I average about 8 holes each outing. I've never changed or sharpened the blades yet.

When using your auger, you have to turn with your lower hand, while applying down pressure with the top hand. Not too much pressure so as you can't turn it,,, but enough so that you can see it cutting consistently!Be sure to never try to score the ice with the auger by giving it a tap with the blades! (like you might with a drill bit on wood) This will change the pitch of the blades and no matter how sharp the blades are they won't cut butter with the auger! After you get all the way through the ice, and before you lift the auger out, ream the bottom of the hole's ice with the (upper) blue coils of the auger, (this protects the blades from getting bent on any rough edges) then starting with the auger as far down as possible... give it one smooth lift out and all the slush will be removed from your hole leaving you with little to no scooping. In the process you'll prolong the life of your blades!

I know this to be true from plenty of trial and error!

Good luck!!

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:08 pm 
Walleye Master

Great explanation Glenn. He is spot on Leeworthy.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:35 am 
Walleye

Sounds great. Thanks for all the replies. I think thats my problem is I am not applying pressure to the top of the auger. Guess I will have to wait for the next nice day to get out fishing. A sled does me no good in the crap we had the other day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:36 am 
Walleye Master

Well yesterday my bros decided to try to drill his own hole with MY AUGER "ya IT"S MINE! ALL MINE!"...... long story short took me a while to drill 5 holes with the thing due to slush and water EVERYWHERE!!!! So I let him try his own hole and tell him dont you dare muscle that thing down low keep pressure on it and about 2 mins later I look over and here he is doing it and I says to him "STOP RIGHT NOW!" "your going to F the thing up" ! I ran over but it was too late the way he auged it he had pushed the screw right out of the thing...... dont put the strength in turning it put pressure down thats what way it cuts!!!!! Dam brother!
Mike :)

Post subject: an old guy told me this
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

"let the blades do the work"....this applies to everything that is used for cutting...especially ice augers and handsaws..Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:21 pm 
Walleye Angler

I use an offset hand auger and it takes a bit to get used to. You have to keep both hand/arms going at the same time.

I applaude you Leeworthy for taking all this ribbing and still having fun:!: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:20 pm 
Walleye Angler

Sorry couldn't resist...Gary

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:29 pm 
Walleye

lol. well i am a good sport, that cartoon, where did you get my picture from?