Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Well, I got out tonight
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:40 pm 
Walleye

As the title says, I got out tonight. Finally hauled all my gear to Tops Lane on Massassauga road, got out on the ice, and tried to put a hole in it. I turned that damn auger for 45 min. And only got about 8" in. Said this is enough and packed up my stuff.

Is ice fishing suppose to be this hard? Or am I doing something wrong with my Auger? It is just a normal manual auger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:02 pm 
Perch

I had that problem with my auger, try a new set of blades on it i was surprised the difference it made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

Before you run out and buy new blades, it could be something as simple as shimming up the blades you already have on. Try that first,then go to Massassaga Point where the ice is a little thinner and try drilling a hole out there..near the Green Buoy.....Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:09 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

i had the same problem a couple of days ago with my manual :x ..you should just sharpen the blades on it.. i miss my jiffy gas auger..it has been sent to repair :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:10 pm 
Walleye

walleyed assassin wrote:
Before you run out and buy new blades, it could be something as simple as shimming up the blades you already have on. Try that first,then go to Massassaga Point where the ice is a little thinner and try drilling a hole out there..near the Green Buoy.....Gary

What do you mean by shimming the blades up? I think I might just buy an ice chopper. I think there like 20 bucks, and would make for a lot quicker work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:17 pm 
Walleye Master

Leeworthy,

Don't give up!! For sure a blade problem. A manual auger with good blades will eat ice!! Its hard to do multiple holes because you get tired, but it should eat through 10 - 12" in a less then a minute or two at most. If it is an old auger that has been laying around for awhile I'd pick up a new set up blades. You can sharpen the ones you have and keep them as back up. Like assassin says, you can shim them, (change the angle) they might bite better. If you buy the right blades for your auger it will make a big difference.

Don't give up. Let us know how it turns out.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:33 pm 
Walleye

Hey guys. Well I went to Canadian Tire, and like usual, they don't have anything that I need. So now I need to source a new place out for a set of blades for the morning.

I hoping maybe Skevy's or Carra's may have a set of 8" auger blades.

I tried sharpening the ones I had, and tried it outside, no difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:38 am 
Walleye Master

Walmart might have them or try CT in a different area like Picton .... dont try to sharpen them as the angles need to be the same to stay sharp.
Mike :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:46 am 
Walleye

Well, I went out this morning to Skevy's They didnt have the blades for my auger, so I just bought a new auger. Considering blades are 30 bucks and a new auger was 60. Might as well.

I got out on the ice, still took me 20 min to 1/2 hour to put a hole through the ice though. The ice was over 12" thick. My arms are killing me. I fished for about 1 1/2 hours, and just got in now. no bites, but, I will go back out this afternoon and try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:28 pm 
Walleye

And your gender is ? Suck it up princess or leave your skirt at home.This is ice fishing not fiqure skating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:32 pm 
Walleye

kiss my bass fishin wrote:
And your gender is ? Suck it up princess or leave your skirt at home.This is ice fishing not fiqure skating.

LOL Sorry, didnt know fishin was a a sport for the hulk. Maybe you can come and show me how its suppose to be done, oh great and fearless leader.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:56 pm 
Walleye

Allright Leeworthy, Sun up green bouy,you and me and the other kids from the play ground.LOL,Sorry couldn't pass up the oppurtunity,I must have drilled 40-50 holes this year and very little to show for it but a nice set of pipes (lol).Im' getting frustrated and the wife suggested i give up NEVER !!!!!!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:59 pm 
Walleye

LOL.. 8O

I wish I could have gotten out enough times to drill that many holes.

Ive only been ice fishing 2 times. Today being my second. I don't know where the ice is safe and where it isnt. Im sure after my bottle of advil and my rye an coke kick in again, ill be fine.

Maybe thats what I need to do BEFORE i start fishing.

Thanks for the laugh, I needed one this evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:03 pm 
Walleye

Lee,

May I suggest "Starting" the Auger on your next outing? (just couldnt resist and sounds like an old newfie joke about cutting lumber with a chainsaw)

stephane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:04 pm 
Walleye

LOL.

I think Ill just buy one of the drill attachments for my auger. I hear you can get 4 holes out of one battery. Sounds like a plan to me.