Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: How Deep?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:06 pm 
Walleye

How deep of water should I be fishing for walleye in? This morning I was fishing around 20 feet or so. Is this good or should I be a lot deeper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:27 pm 
Walleye Master

I'm probably not the best person on here to give you advice about hardwater fishing. Actually there is no "probably" about it, I'm NOT the best person on here to give you advice about hard water fishing. However, I'll give it my best shot.

The depth largely depends on location and the structure you are fishing. There really isn't a magic depth to fish them at. To my knowledge they will hold in a lot of the same spots they will in in the summer. Walleye love mid lake humps, or breaks (sides of drop offs etc). They will often move up on the humps towards evening to feed which is why guys report a good bite in the last hour of light.

During mid day you are more likely to find them in the deeper water flats close to the humps or structure they will feed on at night.

Hope that helps a little. Wait for a more knowledgeable response from guys who don't have a fully developed cerebral cortex and think that standing over a hole on frozen water is fun.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:56 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

West Lake Willows wrote:
I'm probably not the best person on here to give you advice about hardwater fishing. Actually there is no "probably" about it, I'm NOT the best person on here to give you advice about hard water fishing. However, I'll give it my best shot.

The depth largely depends on location and the structure you are fishing. There really isn't a magic depth to fish them at. To my knowledge they will hold in a lot of the same spots they will in in the summer. Walleye love mid lake humps, or breaks (sides of drop offs etc). They will often move up on the humps towards evening to feed which is why guys report a good bite in the last hour of light.

During mid day you are more likely to find them in the deeper water flats close to the humps or structure they will feed on at night.

Hope that helps a little. Wait for a more knowledgeable response from guys who don't have a fully developed cerebral cortex and think that standing over a hole on frozen water is fun.

Scott

ahahaha thats funny! :lol: and its not just fun Scott its EXTREMELY fun.
that was a great explanation too! i usually use my handheld GPS to help find humps or drop offs.

Aadil :)

p.s.thats a nice new display picture bud!

banner ad