Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:19 pm 
Walleye Master

CLEVELAND (Feb. 7) - One person who was among those stuck Saturday on a miles-wide slab of ice that floated away from the Ohio shoreline of Lake Erie has died, while 125 others were rescued, authorities said.
The victim fell into the water while searching with others for a link to the shoreline, Ottawa County sheriff Bob Bratton said. Others tried CPR before the person was flown to a hospital and pronounced dead, Bratton said.
Several ships and helicopters from Toledo and Marblehead, and from Detroit, were sent to rescue the people from the 8-mile-wide ice floe.
Authorities said fishermen apparently used wooden pallets to create a bridge over a crack in the ice so they could go farther out on the lake Saturday morning. But the planks fell into the water when the ice shifted, stranding the fishermen about 1,000 yards off shore.
Ice on western sections of Lake Erie is up to 2 feet thick, National Weather Service meteorologist Bill Randel said. He said it started to crack as temperatures rose above freezing this weekend and wind gusting to 35 mph pushed on the ice.
Ice fisherman who regularly visit the lake have said this winter's thick ice has lured more people to the lake this year.
"There was a heck of a city out there for the last week and a half, two weeks," said 71-year-old Oak Harbor resident Peter Harrison, who has lived on the shore for 40 years.
Ohio Division of Wildlife spokeswoman Jamey Graham said the state annually warns fishermen that there's no such thing as "safe ice."
Even in very cold weather, the ice on western Lake Erie is often unsafe because currents can easily cause the ice to shift. Firefighters in communities along the lake are trained for rescues from the ice and are often on guard when temperatures rise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:23 pm 
Walleye

Wow thats insane. its unfortunate that we had to lose a fellow fisherman, but I am also glad that we didn't lose more than we did.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:32 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

wow thats unreal! R.I.P to the fellow fisherman. and thankfully the rest survived. i wouldn't know what to do in a situation like that! :?

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:55 pm 
Walleye Master

Crazy stuff.

Another reminder to respect the ice.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
 Post subject: Unbelievable
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:17 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Wow, Just for some fish they made a BRIDGE to get out further. That's NUTS!!!!!!!!

David aka Superdad

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:56 am 
Walleye

Thankfully only one person died. It could have been a huge catastrophe. May God rest the soul of our fellow angler that passed away.

banner ad
 Post subject: Talk about NUTS!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:18 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Did anyone hear that the people recued from the ice floe, went back out yesterday to the ice to retrieve their stuff, ATV's, Snowmachines, etc......

I thought - One biten - twice shy? Guess Not

David aka Superdad

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:12 pm 
Walleye Master

apparently the ice was pretty thick, and safe, it had just broken off from shore, and went adrift lol......... sheesh id have just kept fishing, and hoped the wind changed direction *L* ......... I see that happen all the time in wellington, one day there is 6 hundred yards of ice then its gone, another day its back again . apparently fishing an ice flow becomes tricky at time , humm kinda like seeing 10 guys drive the truck on the ice, and you are the one who goes thru it......

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:53 pm 
Walleye

Come on guys (and gals). Who wouldn't do the same on BOQ? I've done this fishing Green Bay lots of time. The ice was thick enough and the guy that died had a heart attack. Sorry for him, but let's not make these anglers out to be the bad guys. I'm with Grizz ... wait until the wind blows the other way and you'd be fine!

And the sheriff who said he'd arrest everyone of these anglers for lack of common sense? That's a politician speaking.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:04 pm 
Walleye

Got to love politicians :)

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:48 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Rocky Mountain Man wrote:
And the sheriff who said he'd arrest everyone of these anglers for lack of common sense? That's a politician speaking.

Not trying to start anything but I somewhat agree...not to arrest but to have those rescued help cover some of the costs.

IMHO - Ice-fishing is an extreme sport. It's my understanding that in a lot of these sports, if you get into trouble, the rescue costs are up to you.

....and yes, I too have jumped over cracks or used wood to get onto the ice. Most of these lakes have been land locked though. I would do this on the BOQ, but not say, Colins Bay (Lake Ontario) in Kingston to get out past the Brothers Islands. That's just crazy!

Cheers,

Paul

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:08 pm 
Walleye Master

I'd be willing to bet a paycheck the Sheriff dont ice fish lol. and id also be willing to bet that the canadians would launch a boat just to get out to the ice and drill holes to fish lol. im kidding guys im just kidding. only hardwater walleye would do that lol

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:00 am 
Walleye

There were guys who were still fishing throughout the whole rescue scene. Some said they figured they'd stay until the ice was pushed back, which it did the next day!

So, I agree that you should have to pay a fair share for being rescued, but some didn't feel it was necessary. When I lived in Colorado, 25 cents (American dollars) of every fishing and hunting license went to a search and find/rescue fund since there were always chaps getting lost in the mountains.

And, yes, I'd bet the sheriff doesn't fish. A big portly fellow, so I'm sure he enjoyed his vittles!

banner ad
banner ad