Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Perch Fishing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:24 pm 
Walleye

Hi everyone. Hoping somebody might be able to help me out with some perch fishing in the area. I will be heading to the Kingston area (Parham) this Thursday to a friends cottage. Originally we had planned getting a guide to take us out however, he has just finished his first week of chemotherapy and we are not sure if he should make the drive/walk out away from shore. I may still head out with a guide on a different day but if we are able to find a spot closer to shore I'm sure he would feel much more comfortable.

Just wondering if anybody could recommend any areas where we could try for some perch fishing that is not too far away from shore. I understand if I don't get too many reply's as people don't really want to give up their spots. Main reason I'm asking is because my buddy can't be walking around too much out there.

Don't need any honey holes just looking for some perch to take home to the table.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Any info is apprecited.

JFish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:31 pm 
Walleye Master

I had some good days with Perch not far off big island (big bay area), herichmer produced some good size perch last weekend as well, I lined up straight out from Bakelite pt between the snake island area and there and was using small to medium sized baits like northlands buckshot and champs were working well we used silver mostly. I also noticed when I got home that these perch had been feeding on small silver shiners. Slow shakes were producing jumbos with the odd one hitting on the lift. The slush is making walking anywhere a chore but I was on 10-12" of ice out there on Sunday. GL
Mike :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:53 am 
Walleye Master

JFish, PM superdad.

he knows the water/ice like no-one else....he'll at least tell you have an access/fishable spot close to shore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:02 am 
Walleye Master

Jfish Herchimer is thick and big island area is usually just as thick if not thicker.... Good schools of perch diffently in both areas....... I wouldnt send you to a spot that was less then 10" right now.......but after today rain and mild might have to wait till a good overnight freeze its gonna get messy if it's not already...... P.S. Superdad knows east very well if you want to try him Im sure he'll be able to get you on some perch down that way! I wouldnt even test near deseronto right now with all this bummy weather ice gotta be getting thin there Id imagine! More about safety right now then fish!!!
Mike :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:56 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Sorry JFish if this may be a stupid question.....

Are you looking for suggestions closer to Quinte or Parham?

If the latter, I've had success with Pike, perch and crappie on Verona Lake; sometimes called Stone I think or Rock. There are 3 joined together and I get confused which is which....either way, behind the gas station / store in Verona. Turn on that road and follow it straight down to the lake and you'll be at the boat ramp.

It's a really short walk (maybe 50-100 yards) off of the boat ramp that I've fished. As well, about 5 cottages down the shore on the right, in front of the cottage that has a deck closer to shore, there's a drop that holds fish too. Fish in front of the fallen tree on the hill and about 30 yards from shore.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:09 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the replys guys. As of right now we are day to day. I would like to get him out but it all depends on how he feels that day. With all t his rain it looks like Kingston is getting I'm not even sure if we should venture out at all.

JFish

banner ad