All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Crappie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:17 am 
Walleye Angler

Anyone fishing crappie on the bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:39 am 
Walleye Master

Never really target them, but they are diffently around. Have caught a few early season while trolling for eyes. Alot of 9-10 ", biggest I have caught from the bay was 12.5". Good fight on them though! Not much open areas to fish yet but Im sure some local shorelines would produce.
Mike :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:25 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the input Mike.Nice bunch of perch by the way.

Post subject: Tight to the Vest
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:41 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Crappie Fishers are worse than poker players for playing the cards(hot spots) VERY close to their vests.

Hot spots are closely guarded secrets.

It took me four years to get asked to crappie fishing and I was almost blindfolded to get to the spot.

And I have been sworn to secrecy about where we went.

Hope you can find some - they're in the BOQ.

Cheers

David aka Superdad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

The secret spot I was told about was roughly 10 acers in size,and had 10 other boats on it when I arived. I have since seen this secret spot on tv twice.I'm hoping to find some in a larger area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:18 pm 
Walleye

oh you must be refering to the not so secret spot of the Quarry. That is the only place I know that has crappie consistently. but there are certainly crappie in the bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

Ever ice fish there ?

Post subject: Secret Spots!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:31 pm 
Walleye

Now that i don,t live there anymore,naturally the Quarry???/

Last edited by ROCKET on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

I agree with Superdad very hard to find really good spot's that are consistent, so when people find them they tend not to share them , much easier to find when the ice is out than when you are ice fishing. Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:46 pm 
Walleye Angler

Can't thank you enought rocket.That spot makes perfect sense.On the north shore ,so it will warm quickly, access to deep water,and not that far from "the secret spot".Some great tips guys,thanks,and keep em coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:06 pm 
Walleye

not looking for any specifics just an excuse to put my motor back
on my boat and get back in the soft water :lol: So lets see your pictures
of your boat on the open water and maybe even a picture of some crappie
at home or off the water as to not give away that secret spot :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:26 pm 
Walleye Master

Ya Id like to see more fish pics lately..... these are from past years but I hope to get into some more this year. The one was caught offshore near the bay bridge.

Heres a couple eaters I kept from last summer.

And this one is my PB caught last fall on a taildancer black/silver.

There diffently a nice fish! And good fight even on the small ones!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:55 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

wow mike your first crappie is a beautyyy, very nice colours to it! n nice pics..does anyone know the limit on crappie?..i'm gonna try to hunt them down in the next couple of weeks in my backyard as soon as the ice melts..my dad n uncle had got some last year jiggin for walleye so i'll start at that spot.. never fished for them so i'm gonna start reading up on them soon. GL to all the crappie fisherss heree!

Aadil :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:00 pm 
Walleye Master

Ya that first fish was the first crappie I ever caught Aadil, on a manns endulator, first time running that bait as well I hope that fish is still out there swimming for me to catch again. Gotta love it when new things pay off. I got the book in front of me right now and you can keep 30 with a sports license and 10 with conservation. Try smaller cranks like the tail dancers and also spinners worked for me with worms, slow troll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:13 am 
Walleye Master

Here in alot of the lakes in NY we have a pretty good population of crappie, and often enjoy catching them, they are a great eating fish thats for sure. even though the water is different the fish are still the same so im sure the tricks to catching them are also the same.
first part. find them....... thats always the hardest part and there pattern change depending on the time of the year, in the early spring they always like to move in shallow my favorit way to catch them then is to move in on the flats an use small stick baits rapalas in blue and silver, or black and silve seem to work the best. remember they have a very soft mouth so no hook set is required. just let them do there thing and take the bait. often times we will catch them in only 1 foot of water in the spring so a light rod with long casting light line works best so you can cover alot of water....... a slow approch is always best keep moving til you pick one up then work that area good where there is one, there is always more. cast and twitch the lure back. let it stop, and float up to the surface , and twitch it back down. I like to keep the bait moving but slow and spuratic.
late spring into early summer the outside edges of the weed beds are always perductive. im always looking for spots where the deep water isnt to far from the edge of the weeds. i really dont think crappie like the real thick cover so they always seem to be just on the outside of it, my go to of choice then is ultralite rod 2 pound test with tube jigs brite days dark colors seem to work good,,,,,,,, the trick there is always watch your line they just love to hit on the drop, and usually will hit comming up so as your jig is dropping if your line does anything funny like slacken or move sideways raise your rod, and real the fight is on,,,,,,, remember . soft mouth dont hoss.
Mid to late summer is the hardest finding them they school. and move in a pack usually working the water with tubs and small spinners way outside the weeds is good. anyplace close to or in deeper water. they seem to like cooler water in the summer months and yer only gonna find that where its deep, or in well shaded areas, like under docks and bridges early morning as the day goes on they will move out deep close to clims and susspend.......
A killer trick an old timmer once showed me was to take a long lead of line with a bobber on it, and once you catch a deep water crappy you attatch it to the line and toss it back in, then you just follow the bobber around and cast around it, the crappy will move back into the school, and the bobber will keep you on the fish , just dont forget to pick up your bobber when your done *LOL*
Another trick used in late summer is live minnows and bobber,,,,,,, again crappie have a very sensitive mouth so the bobber of choice is either a very small light stick type or if you can get them a porccupine quill bobber, and a very small jig head........ trick is watch the bobber, crappie almost always hit comming up. so the bobber wont go down like one would expect, rather it just lays over on its side once the weight of the jig is no longer there......... pick up and reel, never set the hook
Sorry when it comes to fall and late fall fishing, im of no help there, im either catching walleye or hunting deer *LOL* . hope this helps someone.. Grizz

banner ad