Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Underwater cameras
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:45 am 
Perch

I am using the FishTV model, was wondering if the light on the camera will spook the walleye? During the day the light is off and they swim right by the camera, even bumping it with their nose. I would like to try the light but a little weary on it spooking them.
Any info on this would be great!

thanks,

Post subject: Re: Underwater cameras
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:06 pm 
Minnow

I also have a fish t.v. If it is the infared lights that are around the lens you are talking about, it doesn't spook them at all. If you are referring to the optional floodlight than yes I believe that would scare them away. Hope this helps.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:33 am 
Perch

Thanks Bud,
I am refering to the red lights around the lens. Guess I'll give it a try again.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:10 pm 
Jumbo Perch

My cam has the white LED's and it doesn't spook them. They have even nosed it !

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 am 
Walleye

I haven't used my Aqua VU at night, so I'm not sure. I've saw walleye, whitefish, lake trout, and perch on mine in the daylight. The only species I've managed to hook while the camera was on, were the perch! I myself am wondering if there's a signal or pulse emitting from the camera that turns the taste buds off of the bigger fish? As for lights... my brother-in-law use to dive in the St Lawrence River at night. He said, "The walleye would nudge and nip at the light I was wearing on my headset!!". He'd have to push them away. So, I don't think it's a light thing?!?! I would really like to know though, if anyone has saw and hooked a walleye using their underwater camera? Seems like the only time I catch anything is when it's not down the hole?! I've been out on the BOQ ice, three times this year, and caught walleye every time but none when the camera was down.

Good fishing,
Glenn

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:32 am 
Perch

Yes we have watched the walleye attack our lures! But only in the daytime. It really is amazing watching them hit. we had one taking dives at it everytime we jigged but he kept missing it! We've watched others slowly sneak in and suck on the minnow, that was very intense, we had to wait until it had the hook in its mouth before yanking it.
I really don't think there is some sort of vibe or anything coming off the camera or the cable that spooks them. Due to the ice conditions, I haven't been able to get out at night and try the lights again.

Good luck!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:58 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have seen both pike and eyes bite on camera.I have also had my cam attacked by pike [fish shapped housing]. We once watched a pike size up my camera through my buddy's cam.We have'nt had much luck at night however.The lights dont seem to shine far enough.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:26 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I have seen walleye, perch, whitefish and pike on the fish tv. I called a buddy over to check out the 3 perch I could see and by the time he came to my hut they were gone. :(
They only left because a big walleye come in to check out my spoon, and yes we watched him hit it. :)
It could possibly be that you are too mesmorized with getting the camera perfect so you end up jigging less, I know that is what happens to me. Fiddle fart with the camera and fish less. LOL

teppy

banner ad
banner ad