Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Wellington Salmon Pen
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:50 pm 
Walleye Master

Here is a short video from CKWS on a story they did on the Salmon Pen in Wellington. (I found this link on another forum, I can't remember if I saw it posted here as well)

CLOSA (Central Lake Ontario Sport Anglers) is the organization that is responsible for the Pen in Wellington. Great organization that does an awful lot for the salmon fishery on Lake Ontario. There are several key members that donate an awful lot of time and energy to this project Al Vandusen (trannyman) is one of them that has helped set up Pen projects all over the north shore of Lake Ontario. I apologize to any of the other key guys I'm not mentioning.

I take the boat over on my nights to feed and the kids look forward to checking the water temp, recording the activity, and feeding the fish.

Thought a few of you might enjoy seeing the video.

http://www.ckwstv.com/index.cfm?page=news&id=2339

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:22 am 
Walleye Master

I have to say I really had my doubts about the salmon pens and weather it would actually work or not ive been comming to wellington now for over 10 years and ive always seen a few salmon around in the fall. this last fall I counted as many as 13 salmon at one time in the channle. I still dont know if they were the pen raised salmon or not but i would like to hope they are..... maybe this fall it would be good to monator some of the fish down at the docks that are cought to see if they are fin clipped . it sure was nice to go down there and watch them jumping around this fall I spent hours doing it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:46 pm 
Walleye Master

Griz,

A lot of fish are caught with fin clips. If I am correct, they are talking about putting real small little markers on the fish that will more accurately track the stocking info. It works just takes lots of dedicated volunteers to make it happen.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:55 pm 
Walleye Master

great stuff Scott