Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

Looking forward to opening up the trailer this weekend.
Just wondering what the Water levels are like in west lake, im assuming down.
Any hazards to watch out out for other than the shoals and rocks that are usually marked in the summer? Just spent some cash on a new prop and don't feel like replacing it.
Also any body been out crappie fishing there at all this spring?
Finding the walleye should be as easy as following the walleye institute around the lake!
Counting down the days till saturday now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:23 pm 
Walleye Master

low low low. almost 3 feet low. think of summer when its at its lowest and you pretty well have it. old rocky is almost 3 foot out of the water , the channle by the kids camp is very shallow maybe only 3 feet deep . I havent had any luck finding the crappies but havent tried all that hard really been spending my time on the big lake this year ......... very shallow going from westlake over to the public docks by the bait shop

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:38 pm 
Walleye Master

right out front of my place there is a hump which is only about 2 -2.5 feet below the surface. i got to find my gps them i'll put up the coords

dave

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:21 pm 
Walleye Master

Westlakecharlie,

You are welcome to follow us around and join us for dinner on Saturday at Sandbanks Bar and Grill in Wellington around 6pm. A beer is on me if you join us.

Water levels are wicked low. I can't even get my boat into my lift. My launch will be tough for big boats. It is the lowest I have seen it in the 10 years I have been here. I don't think there are any abnormal problem areas.

Old Stoney is really easy to see.
I would give the tip of Sheba's a lot of respect as I think it will be pretty shallow 50 yards or so off the tip.
There is a shoal around the corner of Wesley Acres point that is nasty. Not sure if you ever go in there, but it is about 100yards or so around the corner and about 50 yards off shore. It is usually down about 5 feet, but now it is only about 2.5 or 3 feet down. Pretty nasty.

Dave, I would appreciate those co-ordinates.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:57 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for all the help guys! Its going to be a long week waiting to get up there from Brantford.
I haven't had a sandbanks pulled pork sandwich since september! If I get all my trailer chores done I can definatly see myself heading over for that beer Scott!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:16 am 
Walleye

I would think the Wesly acres point will make the repair guys some $ this year, you can be a long ways out and still hit it and its a high traffic area.

The day I saw a guy get hung up on stoney and then power his way over the rocks to the other side and keep going, it was unbelievable.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:09 pm 
Walleye

Hey Westlakecharlie, which camp are you in? I camp at the Hideaway and will also be opening up the trailer for the year this weekend. You can bet I will be out on the water as well. I'll be the guy in the 16ft princecraft with Miss Harmonie on the front and the 40hp merc tiller.

Sandbanks Bar and Grill for 6pm eh? Might have to make a trip over there on Saturday and have a drink and lie about what I caught that morning. LOL.

Funniest thing I ever saw on the lake 2 years ago was when I was fishing by the rock island and watching this boat with 5 people in it doing circles all around me while I am trying to fish stirring up all kinds of wake and generally being totally anoying. Then all of a sudden "BANG" right into the rock island with all 5 being ejected either on to the bird crap covered rocks or into the drink. I mean these guys were going full out on the throttle and were supermaned out of the boat. After I saw that everyone was ok I laughed all the way back to my dock in tears thinking of these morons.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:02 pm 
Walleye Master

N 43.95114
W 77.32327

i'm gonna go out one of these nights and put jugs on it so i can go around it so it shouldn't be hard to find

dave

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:00 am 
Walleye

Thanks Dave; I believe I saw that spot a couple years ago when coming in from the big lake decided to cool off. Standing on the swim platform look down into a pile of rocks at that time probably 4ft of water below the boat. If it is not the spot then we have a couple locations where we might be scraping bottom.
Do think we can get our boats from the campsite thru West Lake to the harbour? If not it is going to big pain this summer.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:42 am 
Walleye

If it gets too shallow it at the Garret Is. channel it might get dug out. Cops have a tendency to charge you if you go through on plain but that would be my plan. Technically its running an inlet and should be legal. I'm not saying it is, but it should be.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:24 am 
Walleye

polliwog wrote:
If it gets too shallow it at the Garret Is. channel it might get dug out. Cops have a tendency to charge you if you go through on plain but that would be my plan. Technically its running an inlet and should be legal. I'm not saying it is, but it should be.

I believe the reason it is illegal is because of how close it is to Camp Trillium. I have seen the kids out there in canoes and kayaks a bunch of times. Then again I have seen alot of guys go through there on plain and actually didn't know the cops ticketed for doing so. I prefer to take my time due to the amount of traffic that it gets at that spot especially on a long weekend. I was actually almost run into by one of the many morons on Seadoo's there waiting my turn to go through. He was going through fult tilt boogie and almost smoked the front end of my Princecraft. I had a few choice words for him. Can't say I am a big fan of some of the idiots on that lake with there Seadoo's. Very inconsiderate when it comes to other boaters. Not all of them are this way just about 80% of them. LOL.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:28 am 
Walleye Master

there is some pretty big prop eating rocks in that channle id be carefull til the water comes up

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:58 pm 
Walleye Master

ya bill just stay out from that spot and you should be fine running the boats. might want to tell king that a few times so he remembers tho. lol

dave

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:16 pm 
Walleye

At the public ramp on the West Lake road (12) there is a large rock on your right going out just before you get past the weed beds and into the open lake.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:30 pm 
Walleye

fisherboy_01 wrote:
ya bill just stay out from that spot and you should be fine running the boats. might want to tell king that a few times so he remembers tho. lol

dave

I will tell Roger to then I know King won't forget.

banner ad
banner ad