Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:25 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:25 am 
Site Admin

I was speaking with the head organizer for this years event last night at the closing cermony. He expressed that the Kiwanis are always trying to improve the event and wondered if I could collect feedback from you. So, 'What say you' They want to hear the good and the bad. What changes would you like to see. Where can they improve the event to make it more enjoyable for you. Any ideas on format?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:47 am 
Guppy

The weather for the Kiwanis Derby was just perfect! The organizers of the derby did a great job and the only feedback I have would be if sign language interpreters could be available for the closing event where we (Deaf anglers) averaging about 8-10 anglers could view the presentations. Any questions relating to this one I will be happy to help out as I am sure Danny Elliot too 8)

Thanks

Chris Kenopic

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:50 pm 
Walleye

Lets get rid of theses tagged fish and put more focus on the actual prizes. Makes it sound appealing advertising the inflated numbers of prize pool.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:02 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I thought the live updates to the web were Awesome this year, it was very nice not wondering what was being weighed in everywhere else and waiting for the local weigh station to update!

What can they change? This is probably a long shot and may even be out in left field but it would be neat if they added a combined bagged division like 2 pike and 2 walleye total weight for the day, I think it would showcase the fisherman who can fish both species as well as keep the fight alive for guys throughout late sat and Sunday if there was another division up for grabs... I'm sure there's a ton of things that would need to be worked out in order for this to happen but it would be more interesting instead of tagged fish or even hidden weight in my opinion.

Other than that I unfortunately did not get a chance to deal with weigh in staff this year so I don't know if things have improved in that area or not.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/trophywalleye
Twitter: @pbandjcharters

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:31 pm 
Walleye

First time this year. had a great time. I did weigh one fish for the hidden weight and that was done very professionally at the station I went to. I do like the hidden weight simply because it gives people like me who don't fish the bay often to at least have a chance at something. The tagged fish thing is a little silly especially in a derby that only runs for 1.5 days, frankly I'am amazed one was caught. ldub

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Maverick,
I had similar thoughts but no pike just a total weight for 4 walleyes. Call it a total weight category or team weight. I was really impressed with their intentions to improve the derby. Next year they will be going to the water weighin system similar to how the quinte fishing series does their weighin. To all of you out there reading this thread throw out some feedback to the Kiwanis its a good chance to have some say.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:47 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hey Dan, I just realized after reading the transporting fish thread that weighing a fish from east lake is essentially impossible to do legally.
I'm not sure how many anglers fish there during the derby but what about a weigh station there?

FISH HUNTER

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:13 am 
Walleye Master

Although I didn't have great luck this year as in previous years. I agree with getting rid of the tagged fish, as mentioned earlier it's great for advertising purposes but rarely is capitalized on. This money could be used to increase awards for the top ten and down through the ranks. I also really like Dan's idea of a four fish total weight entry. In regards to transporting illegal fish it's going to happen and likely can't be stopped. Additional stations need to be implemented.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:48 pm 
Walleye Master

I agree, the Tag fish is a lost cause..... money could be used in a better way.
I dont think a 4 fish Derby would be in the interest of the resource, walleye don`t take that well to livewells, I could just imagine how many fish die after a derby even after being released.......

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:57 am 
Minnow

I have friends travel to my house each year and we all do the derby. We caught a grand total of zero walleye this year. Last year I think we got 2 or 3 .
The strait and honest fact is that the Quinte walleye fishery is on the verge of collapse . It's actualy the destruction of an ecosystem , as the main predator has been netted and speared to critical levels , along with all the pike and bass that end up in the mowawks nets . Hence , perch have moved near the top of the food chain. My buddies always joke that it should be a perch tournament because that's all anyone catches.

So , people who use the Quinte fishery for business or charity , like all of the lodges , campgrounds and tournament organizers, etc , should be either lobbying the government to take action to slow down the black market mohawk netting / spearing, or they can help out by investing in more hatchery operations to help bring the population of walleye to where it was 10 years ago.
People are tired of getting skunked , and it is surprising that so many of them don't realize just how serious the netting and spearing has become near the skyway bridge. They were still out netting at night on the 19th !

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:23 pm 
Walleye

It would be nice if there were 2 simaltaneous events..

1) Continue with the "big fish" of the weekend event at the same cost for anyone who wants to participate.

2) Add a 2 day, 2 man, tournament style event from on Saturday and Sunday from 7-3pm. We could keep the same format as the QFS. 4 fish limit with 2 over the slot.

Doing that would certainly add to the excitement of the weekend. Not only can the guys enter in to the big fish component by purchasing a ticket, they can also enter to the tournament as well. It would see more $$$ raised as well as a bigger commitment from would be or current sponsers as the exposure is greater... The weigh station could be wherever the Kiwanis headquarters is..

Just my 2 cents!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:11 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

the weight stations will have to be at the docks as it is illegal to transport fish in a live well as seen in another post , all in all i would keep the format the same , as there is another team tournament a couple of weeks later , this format gives everyone from the tin boaters to the guides an even chance Thanks to everyone involved , good job !

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:12 pm 
Walleye

We could use the A.I.M format.. Immediate catch and release for ALL of the fish...

banner ad