Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:07 am 
Guppy

My friend had a very interesting chat with a conservation officer at Pickeral park on the walleye opener. The CO was watching guys pull into the boat launch , load their boat on their trailer, drive up to the weigh station, take the fish out of the livewell and have it weighed. The CO said this was transporting fish illegally and if he wanted he could have charged people doing this. You are not allowed to transport live fish in a livewell no matter how short the distance is. Luckily he was a reasonable man and did not charge anyone. My friend also witnessed people drive into the park with their boat on their trailer pulling up to the weigh station and having fish weighed from locations unknown. I think if the CO was there to witness this, charges would have been laid. My question is : Should these fish that are being brought in to weigh stations like this (illegally) be disqualified?

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:23 am 
Walleye Master

very good question indeed. isnt like the Kawanis people told them to do it but your right it is illeagle none the less. and what is worse is one of the main reasons they dont want people doing this is because they dont want people taking fish from one area and letting them go in another, like restocking a depleted lake and thats pretty much what thay are doing. in that then Kawanis could be held to blame because really they have no idea where that fish came from but they are putting it back in the water at the weigh station after its weighed im sure I know its the bay of quinte fishing derby but who is to say the fish wasnt cought in some other lake and transported??

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

I was at Pickerel Pasrk for the opener and infact I could see the weighin station while sitting on my front deck. We saw the Co's there and what I understood was that the CO's told the guys running the weigh station that they are not to weigh any fish that was transported there over land. The CO's point being that once that fish is transported over land it becomes an unlawful fish and the Kiwanis rules clearly state all MNR rules are to be followed. I know a guy at the park that won the prize boat of the old Napanee Rod N Gun club opening weekend tournaments. He did so fishing from shore in Hay Bay and driving the fish to Napanee to be weighed. If he did that now he wouldnt have the boat.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

The MNR does take this rule pretty serious, the summer before last I fished the Professional Walleye Trail Super Pro event in Dryden Ontario, each day we had to trailer our boats from the river to the arena for weigh-in on stage. The distance was about 75 meters, and each pro angler was issued a MNR fish transportation permit for each day.

-sheldon

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:04 pm 
Walleye

I know there is a bunch of pike weighted in from south bay and Prinyers Cove area every year. You could also add east and west lake in there as well. With all those big fish coming out of those areas, it can't be good for the fishery.
John

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:13 am 
Jumbo Perch

East Lake is a perfect example as to why they don't want fish being transported. Catching them in East Lake and then weighing them in Picton and releasing them into Picton Bay. That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:44 am 
Walleye Angler

i wonder how many derbys have been won this way??

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:18 pm 
Guppy

I just heard that the winning pike was brought in to pickeral park through the front gate.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:45 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

While I do agree with not being able to transport fish by land this does bring up an good point.
Where and how do you weigh a fish from east lake?
I think they'll have to open a weigh station there since it is open waters for the derby.

FISH HUNTER

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:02 pm 
Walleye

I guess shore fishing in the derby will no longer be allowed then. ldub

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:22 pm 
Walleye

Really guys you can`t have fish in a "livewell" so how can you have a "live release derby". To honor MNR reg. would they have to go to a derby that isn`t live release or only fish that came by boat to the weight station would count. This would be hard to police this with so many spot to weight in. You catch a pike in Smith Bay load your boat up go to Mcfarlands dock put your boat back in and head to Picton for the weight in.... hmmmmmmm. There are guys already pushing the limits it would just get worse.Or have a weight station at every boat ramp in the area......lots of man power for that to happen.If you look back to last year there was post about this very same topic.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:05 am 
Jumbo Perch

Of course people are going to push the limits when derby fishing. The real issue is that the derby allows it to happen.

banner ad