banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:20 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:35 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

I was surfing around and found this that many of the board members might wish to be aware of.

Apparently the 2BC fire extinguishers I'm sure most of us have been carrying for years are now to small and we all need to increase the size to a 5BC extinguisher.He was let go with a warning but was told the fine is over $200 so check yours.

I did a little research and checked the Transport Canada website and found the new requirements for powered vessels under 6M or 19'8"
"One (1) Class 5BC fire extinguisher, if the pleasure craft is equipped with an inboard engine, a fixed fuel tank of any size, or a fuel-burning cooking, heating or refrigerating appliance"

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/de%20...%20m-1791.htm

The requirements for powered vessels over 6M or 19' 8" are:
"One (1) Class 5BC fire extinguisher, if the pleasure craft is a power-driven vessel, plus another class 5BC fire extinguisher if the pleasure craft is equipped with a fuel-burning cooking, heating or refrigerating appliance"

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/de%20...%206m-424.htm

Thanks to Fish Kingston Board for the update to the rules and NO thanks to the Federal rule changers who never tell anybody....

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:49 pm 
Walleye

Thanks SUPERDAD,i guess i have to change mine.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:03 pm 
Walleye Master

I think most are still safe as long as there gas tanks are the removable kind not built in units most 6M boats dont have stoves or heaters and fridges I wonder if you had 3 2BC units on board they would pass you along ? I think thats how many I have on my boat for no other reson than there is room on the boat and its better than leaving them on the shelf in the gerage . I wonder if an ABC unit is ok since it meats the BC standards?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:47 am 
Guppy

It would depend on the inspector, and what kind of mood he was in that day. I know the labour board generally wont cut any slack, you can have 10 2bc units on site, but if they call for a 5bc, and there isnt one to be found, they shut you down

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:54 am 
Walleye

Its been a while but I think your good to have the three = one . I'll see if I can look it up.

This has been in the safe boaters guide for around 10 years.

If your not sure of your safety equipment, get a hold of your local power squadron and they will give you a free courtesy check, just as soon as trans. ca. gives us the paperwork, hopefully sometime before the water freezes.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm 
Walleye

As long as all your fire extinguishers add up to at least what your required your good. Maybe you can do this in a boat and not a building is that in an 18 ' boat they are all within 18' and not like spread all over a building.

Now the other thing is, does whoever pulled you over know that, so you might be better off with at least one 5BC.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:28 pm 
Walleye

Guys
On another rule, I have seen some discussion on another site where we are required to renew our VHF radio licence again. Has anyone else heard of this, as I had thought once you had done the course, and obtained your licence the renewal was dropped some time ago. I just don't want to get caught with any surprises this year when the OPP do their safety check.
2 dogs

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:39 am 
Walleye Master

I would assume if your licens dosnt say expires on such and such a date you are good to go how else would they know if its time for you to renew ? how else would you know its time? ....... I doubt they have changed anything over the last 20 years .

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:54 am 
Walleye

Probably some confusion with the station license and the operators license. The station license is optional and I think it has to be renewed, the operators license doesn't need to be renewed.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:06 am 
Walleye Fry

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/de ... m-1791.htm
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/de ... 6m-424.htm
Here is links to new rules as others seem to be broken

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:19 am 
Walleye Fry

http://www.cps-ecp.ca/public.asp?WCE=A= ... 0|K=224450
A link to vhf radios info

banner ad