Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:11 am 
Walleye

Hey all, well. I am trading in my little 14' with a 7.5 merc for a more suitable BOQ boat. A 1989 Glastron Sierra 195. The boat had a motor rebuild 2 years ago with about 15 hours of use on the rebuild. Everything is told to be working fine. BUT I can't test it in the water, as he hasnt put it in and didnt want to pay dockage fees for a boat he isnt using. Boat was winterized by a marine mechanic at end of season last year.

I am going to bring a set of motor earmuffs with me to make sure the motor runs fine and the waterpump and impeller all work as they should. But what else should I be looking for? This boat has the 5.0 Mercury with merc Outdrive 220hp. Any suggestions before I leave after work would be great!

Thanks

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:00 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Dave,
If you can't put the boat in the water I would take it to a mechanic to have the engine looked over-compression test, lower unit fluid, etc. Also with a boat of that vintage you want to make sure that the hull is in excellent shape. I have seen osmosis first hand and it's not pleasant or cheap to repair. It's water obsorption in through the gel coat. The hull can obsorb large amounts of water. Look for blisters on the hull, that is the start of the problem.
Old boats can be a good buy just be carefull.

....Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:47 am 
Walleye Master

like larry said an older boat is risky buisness for sure......... and a rebuild. also risky with only 15 hours on it. humm thats only two days out lol........ have all the fluids been flushed and changed. you have to think of it as a new motor and you just never know how the rebild went until its time tested , time approved any thing michanical that just sits around is an iffy venture seals seem to go from NON USE! . if it seams like too good of a deal you have to wonder why? and i assume its sold...... as is!! ...... sometimes you just have to take a chance

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:49 am 
Walleye

Yeah. I didnt go pick it up last night. Going to head out on Sunday to check things out. He used it until the end of last season, after the rebuild and all, but they are on such a small river "scugog" that the boat is just way to big for it. He had planned on selling it, and decided not to put it in the water this year as its docking fees and such, that he didnt want to have to pay for a boat he wasnt going to use which I can fully understand. The boat was winterized by the marine mechanic at the camp ground he is at at the end of last season. The guy seems trusting enough, he is a retired OPP officer, so I don't think he would screw me, especially knowing I am military and all. WHo knows though. Sunday will tell.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:00 am 
Walleye

1- check to make sure all the buttons and switches work, gets pricey to fix those things

2- open the back and poke the rear on the boat with a screwdriver or something like it, make sure the back is solid with no rot

3- check the floors for softspots, walk around, push down ev everywhere

4-Check if any small parts are busted, clamps, whatever it may be

5- check around the motor mounts tends to rot there

6- make surew the pumps work

7- check the batteries, make sure there still good

8- start the motor and let run awhile, shift into gear, best to watertest cause with no load the motor could run great, in the water different story

Basically look at everything you can

banner ad