Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Back from the bear hunt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:47 pm 
Walleye Master

I just got back from a few days bear hunting. I had a lot of bears on film a couple weeks ago, but it seems a big bruin kicked all the other bears out of the area and claimed my bait as his own as he was the only one on the trail cam. Problem was he would only come in between 11:00 and 3:00 in the morning. Despite not getting one, we still had a great trip.

I had a close encounter with bull moose in rut when he came over sniffing the tree I was in. Later that night around 1:00 he came into camp breaking trees and grunting just inches from my tent. Made for an interesting few minutes. Thankfully he moved off without crushing anything. We had one more moose come into camp the next night and joined us while we were sitting around the fire. Seems we were right in the middle of their rutting grounds.

We did get some geese and grouse and also did some fishing for trout and some real nice smallies.

But if anyone knows how to talk a big bruin into showing up in shooting hours, I'd love to hear how.

Attachment:
Bear1.jpg

Attachment:
Moose1.jpg

Attachment:
trout1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:42 pm 
Walleye

Sounds like you had a great trip Dave caught some nice fish and had some good memories who could ask for anything better than that thanks for sharing.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:38 am 
Walleye Angler

A great start to the hunting season Dave, nice report, nice photo's, thanks for sharing, and super
thanks for getting me all wound up 10 days before I leave for moose camp, WADA.
Donn

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:39 am 
Walleye Master

Donn,
I wish I was going to WADA too especially after that, but moose hunting will have to wait another year.
Good luck to you up there.

Dave

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

What where u baiting with? The better quality of bait u use the more frequent they will visit. This is what I learnt this year. Started out with a barrell full of dog food mixed with bacon grease and a barrell with corn and deer jam. Nothing hit in a week. Then I sourced out scraps and out of date stuff from a bakery and I was set cakes, cookies, muffins, and every style bun and bread u could imagine. Started adding to the existing bait and woulde leave piles of cakes on top. They loved the cakes but would still not pop barrells for the original bait one batch I had a 40 lb box of mixed cookies and loaded that in with dog food. With more cakes. Once I did that they cakes every 3 hours day and night til the good stuff petered out, and with that so did there day light visits. The buns ever coated with choc sauce didn't work that well. So the last re bait before we hunted included lots of cakes and filling barrell with expired cereal with choc sauce and butter popcorn they fed for 5 days all day and night. They also loved a hanging can of smoked oysters but didn't touch sardines. Had up to 3 matures bears at a time but not as big as your bruser. We have shot 2 off the same bait so far and going for another next week. The more they love your bait the more they want to get in there and take a chance or return as soon as they hungry again. Things I won't use next yr. dog food corn sardines buns or bread apples and corn on cob. Will use popcorn, cookies etc, cakes, oysters, strawberry jello powder, container of bacon grease.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:36 am 
Walleye Master

that's a big boy Dave......... next time tie a rope to the barrel and keep tugging on it so it sounds like a small bear willing to rob some bait might just draw the big boy in as a rule I always make lots of noise when I bait I want the bears to know im there dropping off the goodies kinda like ringing the dinner bell so to speak I think baiting is a lot like trapping you can never be too creative, but you are right they will do as they please so time in the stand is the only way ...in the perfect world you live close to where you hunt so you can bait every few days at the same time of day and draw lots of bears they will become completive and visit the sites even when they arnt all that hungry

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:45 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Too bad you didnt get a bear but it looks like you had a good time anyways. The moose pics is awesome!

banner ad
banner ad