Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:53 pm 
Walleye Fry

Hey guys,

A couple quick questions, im hoping someone can help me out.

Ive heard of guys "baiting" deer before the season starts. Using apples and corn etc.....but can you continue to leave food on the ground for them during the season? I took the hunter safety course a few years and honestly can't remember my hunting instructor talking about this.

Also, I'd like to try using some scents and deer attractors this season. When is a good time do use the synthetic deer urine and make mock scrapes? Right before the rut? or anytime during the season?

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:23 am 
Walleye Master

Baiting deer is legal in Ontario. Migratory birds and turkeys is not.
Initially it may seem like the ideal way to hunt them, but there are a lot of drawbacks as well. First, many deer will only come to the bait after dark. It also attracts a lot of unwanted animals under your stand as well. Everything from fishers and coyotes to bears. This can be a detterent to deer. That and you continually put out human scent and activity in the area. They catch on quick...
The benefits are you can positively identify your deer and increase your chance of a perfect shot by waiting for the deer to present itself in a clear broadside or quartering away position if they come in and start eating.

Scents.
The best scent is no human scent.
The deer are starting to scrape now, but the peak of the rut (in the Quinte area) is the last 2 weeks of October. They're marking their territory. I've done the mock scrapes and they work. Couple that up with calling from close-by and you increase your chances.
They are still rutting in early November but they are starting to chase does now. If you want to use attractant scents, now is the time for synthetic deer urine.

My 2 scents worth.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:30 pm 
Walleye Master

Adventure pretty well nailed it........ knowing when to use sents is just as if not more importiant than actually using them if you ask me,,,,,,,,adding a smell to the game can and will work but it can also work in the exact oppisit if not done at the right times. as for me id just as soon play the winds worl on the best possible stand placement and leave the woods as natural as possible. calling and ratteling work, sents work at the right times they all seem to work, judging the right time is that hard part, and often you can screw up your area quicker than you can say jack flashall i can say is good luck, enjoy and remember the hunt is often better than the kill. grizz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:23 pm 
Walleye Fry

I use bait and find it to be quite effective. However like previous posters have said, they can and will often attract other unwanted critters. I find that this doesnt seem to bother deer too much, well the bears anyways. If i find that too many coyotes are hanging around. i remedy the problem! as for baiting and having them show up after dark. i have several stands and has taken some learning. but certain stands tend to have this effect if they are far from bedding areas. i have found that stands that are closer to bedding areas tend to produce deer earlier in the evening. and the ones further tend to be last minute shots. my two scents also. if u are gonna use apples it tends to help if u stomp a couple. and crush and rub a couple higher up on trees to help disburse the scent. i try my best not to leave scent everywhere but if anything imo i think the deer actually get used to your scent. obvious try not to bait at peak hunting times, not morning or night, but taking some in on your way to the stand works well too. sorry for the longwinded spiel but this is what i think about baiting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:02 pm 
Walleye Master

Don't be sorry Irferg.
You made me think about the proximity to the bedding area and that might explain why I get a doe and fawn visiting regularly at lunch time. The bucks still usually come at night though no matter where the bait. I've often thought about taking out the bait at midnight to try to make them un-nocturnal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:26 pm 
Walleye Fry

That may work. I tend to try and bait at off times when possible. Like middle of the day, if rut is on be prepared for anything!!! Learned my lesson the hard way. But baiting a couple hours or so after dark tends to work well for me. When I bait at night though I am usually in my truck, or on 4 wheeler so as to not bother them too much. They are used to these types of transportation. At the end of the day every situation is different. All you can do is try things, and either they will work or they wont. Its like a big science experiment.... just remember one thing no matter what happens try to have fun, this is a hobby.... or addiction if you are like me. Cheers and drop a big one!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:28 am 
Walleye Fry

Thanks guys. All great info.

Does anyone have any experience hunting properties that have lots of cattle? The one farm i hunt has a nice rolling pasture and some bush mixed with hard and soft woods. Occasionally, Ill see a cow wonder thru the bush while im sitting in my blind. I often feel like my hunt is over as soon as the cattle enter or cross thru my shooting lanes. Do you think the cattle activity thru the woods has any effect on deer? Perhaps they adapt to them as any other animal they encounter?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:57 am 
Walleye Fry

One space I hunt has cattle 25yds from my stand, granted they are on the other side of the fence. However the majority of deer I see from this stand tend to travel down the cattle path and proceed to jump the fence for a visit. Now when the cattle are right there the deer seem to use alternate routes. Like I said with the baiting, I think the deer tend to get used to surroundings, as long as its not crazy. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:11 pm 
Walleye Master

I hunt dairy farms all the time in NY, seen the deer feed right along side the cows lol...... hint best cover sent going is a cow patty when your in that situation, deer are used to the smell so get a set of cloths just for that hunting spot and you cant go wrong just be sure not to use them cloths when yer hunting an apple orchard miles away from a farm or cattle lol

banner ad