Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:31 pm 
Walleye Fry

Hey guys,

New to deer hunting and I know there are a number of different ways to dress a deer, but does anyone know a tried and true way that seems to be the easiest? I have watched countless videos online but I think i've just confused myself and it just seems complicated to me.

Any help would be great guys. Thanks alot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:38 am 
Walleye Angler

it will come to ya i know i do it differnt then other people but im always trying to find new ways. the best thing to do is just do it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:02 am 
Walleye Catcher

As buckflash said there is no perfect way to do this. Just take your time and find out what works best for you.
3 of the most improtant things when your dressing a deer.
1. Try not to get any hair into the carcus if possible. It will save you a lot of time later trying to get the hair off the deer. Your gonna get some in but be mindful and it will save you time later.
MOST IMPROTANT....
2 When you get close to the "privates of the deer be very careful with your cuts. Just behind the privatge parts and the rear end, the deer will have the "PEE SACK". You will see it but take your time. If this sack gets broken get it out of the deer right away as the meat will sometimes take on this flavour and you don't want that. This ruins more deer meat than anything else(In my opinion).

3. When you get the deer home or are near a creek wash the deer out good with cold water. The faster you can cool the inside the better for the meat.

I also take the windpipe out ASAP.
Just my 2 cents
Good luck
Sheldon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:47 am 
Walleye Angler

Field Dressing a Deer - Warning: GRAPHICS CONTENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps you out?

Works for me.

Click Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm9jn_KyrJk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:21 am 
Walleye Master

the boys seem to have it covered pretty well , and we will all agree its the least plesant part of the hunt but also one of the most importiant parts as well to presurve the harvest and get the most out of it.
Ill add a little to sheldon by saying A very sharp knife is very importiant not to big but very sharp. this will help in many ways one make nice and deliberate cuts easy to handle. and it will cut down on the deer hair issues considerbaly .
Also if you can get gloves like farmse use to artificial breed there heffers i will tell you they are worth there weight in gold when it comes to keeping somewhat clean in the gutting process . and they also become carry out bags for the heart and the liver.. quite handy :wink:
Deer down. First thing you do is pull out the knife. walk three times around it to the right, then three times around to the left then hand the knife to the youngest guy there and walk him thru it lol . if yer alone, well you start at the bung hole...... it needs to be free so now is the perfect time.
Good tip. drag the deer to a knoll or side hill make its head face up hill if at all possible this way the guts will want to go with gravity it helps to cut things free of the diaphram , and the wind pipe. . I always always always start my first cut right below the briskit sliding it up twordge the lungs NOT down to the guts... thats one of the quickest ways to ruin the meat is cutting open the gut sack and tainting your meat with its contents. not to mention it smells bad lol
now with a sharp knife you slide two fingers in and pull up as you skin down I cant say sharp enough because when you learn this it takes you about 30 seconds to completely open your deer and thus far pretty much mess free almost like pulling down a zipper really it can be that fast with a skilled hand and a sharp knife!! .... now pretty much all that is left is to pull back the gut reach in and cut away the diaphram on each side find the wind pipe and cut it up as high as you can dosnt need to be way up inside just grab it where you feel it and cut it off......... if all this is done and done well the gut and contance is pretty well free..... nothing left to do but turn the deer over a little bit and dump or pull out the contance again the knoll or sidehill helps in this if at all possible . Gravity can be a usefull tool . when thats all out you turn the deer back over find the bladder pinch it off and cut it dont spill a drop down in there that will ruin the hind quorters quicker than snot whipe it up with snow or dry leaves if you happen to botch it
Now you grab the heart and cut it free. roll down the glove and you have heart in a bag. do the same with the liver........ if possible toss them in the snow to cool them down fast as you can. I also carve out the inner tenderloins and put them in the bag trust me thats the best cut on any deer as far as tenderness and taste . I DO NOT AGREE with sheldon on the water thing........ washing out the cavity is not a good thing, beside there is nothing in there your going to eat anyways now that you have taken out the inner lions.
If you butcher your own deer you learn the faster you get that hide off the easier it is and it really helps with the cool down process....... I hope this helps. bottom line is whats in there has to come out lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:42 pm 
Walleye Master

Grizz has some good hints for you, I will add I always carry some butchers cord with me. Instead of having one hand confined to pinching of the pee sack I take the butchers cord and tie off the inlets/outlets running off it and likewise with the bowel track tie everything off to help in not having any accidents. this takes a little more time but leaves you with both hands free and likely no unwanted spills. For the rectum and getting it out invest in one of those butt plug tools they're fast and easy to use and come with instructions. They're great for guys just staring out. Hope I've helped in adding to the wealth of info coming forward.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:56 pm 
Walleye Fry

Thanks guys. Guess theres only one way to learn. And that's to get out there, take a deer, and give it a try for myself.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.....if I have any luck the rest of the season lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:05 pm 
Walleye Master

To add to Grizz's note on skinning, it is even more important with the extreme colder temperatures in the late bow season to get the hide off quick or it will freeze on there making it all but impossible to get off. And if it does freeze on, don't use your good knife to try and pry it off, it'll break. Uh, Ummm, I have this friend who that happened to...:oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:13 pm 
Walleye

a very late answer here sorry but I have incorporated 2 items into the deer and moose butchering a few years ago which has markedly improved the process..

1. you can buy shingler's blades for a utility knife or for those CT razor knives. These very sharp blades allow you to pick up the hide to allow the easy opening of the hide from stem to stern.. very slick.. try and find the blades that have a bit more gap .. helps to ensure that the hair doens't plug it up.. because the cut is so slick, using this little blade really reduces the amount of hair that comes free from the hide and potentially onto the carcass. Like the Wyoming knives, but much sharper and easier to keep that way.

2. the Butt Out Tool.. and I don't mean the tool in camp that is always making coffee or going to the can when the butchering starts, no I mean the new Butt Out Tool available for moose and deer at Cabela's etc. shove it in twist and pull the anus out and tie it off.. real easy and protects the best part of the meat.

I am pleased to say that I had the opportunity to use these methods on a moose and 2 deer this year:)

cheers guys!

banner ad