Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: backstrap queen
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:47 am 
Walleye Angler

Well with christmas holidays in effect and the kids off school for two weeks , Myself and my son decided we were going to hunt hard . Which we did last week , everyday in fact and all we were seeing were does during daylight hours. But the cameras was letting us know there were a few nice bucks in the area , just not at legal shooting time. So we held off last week but this week starting boxing day we were going to shoot any deer that presented itself that appeared to not have any fawns with them. We were going to be able to hunt Sunday and Monday only this week so we had to get it done. We had our heart set on this 10 pointer with 10 inch brow tines. but of course he never showed up untill way after dark of course. We got in the stand early on Boxing day and saw our first set of does at about 4:00 pm but she had a fawn with her so she had a pass. Then ten minutes more we saw another doe with two fawns. That was hard to let these deer walk at 20 yards. Then some more came with fawns and in the distance we could see one deer walking by itself and I thought ok a buck. Wrong. It was a lone mature doe and she was heading our way. I waited to see if maybe she had a fawn that was maybe following behind her but could not see any , so the count down was on 40 yards now 30 yards then it was 20 yards and still heading our way. So at ten yards I had to make our move so a soft BLAAA and she stopped perfectly broadside and WHACK the arrow was on it's way. She jumped and actually ran towards the truck which was a bonus. It was neat to see the lumenock go right through her. The weird thing about the lumenock was that it shut off after the arrow hit the ground. Oh well. It was awesome to have my son with me the whole time and for him to experience the hunt. I will definitely give him credit for sitting there in the ladder stand with me in the cold temperatures last week and this week. It was minus 11 C when the trigger was pulled and it was windy so I do not even want to guess what it was with the wind chill. He has got patience that is for sure.

Here is the buck we were after. He won this year and maybe I will find his sheds in the spring.

Post subject: Re: backstrap queen
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:37 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for sharing. Its great taking the kids out. I still have found memorys of hunting with my father. He was the one that started me hunting at a very young age. Thanks again. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:27 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Yo catcher !
excellent post :mrgreen:
it is nice to hear the young one is in tune with you
for the hunt [not a lot of young ones down here do it]
to much electronics i guess :twisted: :twisted:
nice picture and
thankx for sharing
blue
ps
by the way that is a dandy buck for sure

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:02 pm 
Walleye Master

Way to go Catcher. You've got quite the hunting partner there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:28 am 
Walleye Master

Poor dear.......... zippin seed lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:57 am 
Walleye Angler

Hey Catcher!

Great hunting! Nice doe, and you've really got an up and coming hunter with you. He's got what it takes. Patience. And I'm sure you're teaching him right.

I was in the fishing forum, but you made me look with that moved post of yours. Thanks for the heads up.

Happy New Year. Good fishing, now that the hunting season is over. Ain't it great?

Maple

Maple

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:31 am 
Walleye Angler

Hey Maple

I saw you were down last week. Maybe give me a heads up next time you are down and we can see if we can get out for a fish. I am definitely blessed that my son has the huntin bug real bad , he loves to go with me any time no matter what we are after and will go no matter what the weather or early morning wake ups. Good to hear from you again.

banner ad