Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:56 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rabbit season
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:22 pm 
Walleye Master

Well I guess with deer, moose, duck, goose, bear, forest chicken season all closed up, time to look up some rascially rabbits. It's been pretty good so far with a few rabbit dinners. I think I will screw on the judo point and see if I can't get a few with the compound.
Any other bunny hunters out?

Post subject: Re: Rabbit season
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:30 pm 
Walleye Master

i gotta get my 2011 small game license and then i'll be out after em, like the idea with the judo pts and the compound.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:54 pm 
Walleye Master

The judo points have worked best for me over the years. They stand up really well when you miss and keep the arrow from burying making it easy to find. They also do a great job with killing the rabbit when you do hit them. Great for partridge too. I tried thumpers (big wad of plastic screwed on the end) but they never stood up well. These pics are from a few years back...

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:17 am 
Walleye Master

Had to put my best hound down this summer its gonna be a sad season ..... RIP.. Ponder

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:59 pm 
Walleye Master

Sad to hear about your dog. I never hunted rabbits with dogs but I bet it would be a lot of fun.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:44 pm 
Walleye Master

pretty cool really but to me hounding is hounding weather it be rabbits, coon, coyoties the dog does the running you just walk along and shoot........... rabbits being easiest they run circles so you stand in the corners and shoot them as the dog runs them around........ Now Coon, different story all together streight line running fools they can be and the hills I hunt can get pretty tough at times but nothing better on a nice cool fall night in a full moon an experiance that just cant be decribed really , coyotes can make some pretty big circles so there is alot of standing around listing for the dogs to bring them back in rage, I supose it would be like deer ? never hounded a deer before where I come from we shoot dogs that trash on deer lol im sure some of them would bring a high price up here lol ........ ive owned walkers, blue ticks,, redbones and black and tans but by far without a doubt my favorite hound is a beagle....... they will teach you more about hunting than you ever thought you could teach them. a true hound in every sence of the word, they will run anything if you let them. and be a perfect inside pet/companion as well not many hunting dogs can be both a companion and a hunter as far as the hound breeds go!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:52 pm 
Walleye Master

If you want coons, all you have to do is sit outside my chicken coop!
All my dogs have been labs and retreivers for waterfowl. I have been on a few deer hunts here and there with deer hounds and we used to do a lot of coyote hunting with them.
I always wondered how much truth is in this though...Twice now I have met up with two different moose hunters, one from north of Thunder Bay and one south of Algonquin, ten years apart and had them tell me the same story. They say a Chiuaua is the best moose hunting dog out there. They claimed they would carry it inside their coats, find a fresh set of moose tracks, put the itty bitty dog on it and it would run off on the trail to the moose. Once it got to the moose, it would yip and bark at it. The moose would stare down at this noisy little critter and wonder what the heck it was. In the meantime, the guy would simply follow the sound and walk up to the moose and shoot it as the moose was distracted by the Chiauau.
The first time I heard it, I had a good chuckle and walked away laughing. The second time I was in shock to hear it again. Both these guys were older folks and may have just been yanking my chain. But there was a long time frame and a big distance between stories... I still grin with skepticism every time I tell it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:39 am 
Walleye Master

are you sure they didnt mean a dathound? (SP) i know that breed will follow its nose and is a very slow trailer .......I have a friend who gas trained them to blood trail deer as recovery dogs they dont just run off on you, they are silent trailers and will yhip when very excited at recovery just a thought because i never hear or seen a chiaua follow its noise to anyplace other than a garbage can lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:26 pm 
Minnow

i have been involved with a rabbit hunt using terriers..... hearing them come through the woods is just like deer hunting, only difference is the gun is smaller and the rabbit is way faster and smaller..

banner ad
banner ad