Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:11 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 am 
Walleye Master

Just wondering what you guys use up here in canada in the way of calls ? im no strange to hunting wild turkeys down south as I have litterly hunted them for 30 plus years in some of the very best woods NYS has to offer id be intrested to hear what you guys use here to intice the gobblers into gun range ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:38 am 
Walleye Angler

ive got a couple i use a wingbone call wich is good for run and gun when im in the blind i use a blue slate which has a loud but suttle sound there are other coulours but havnt tried them not to much luck with locater calls but there is always this year

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:00 pm 
Walleye Master

Thats very intresting Buck that you use a wingbone , very hard to master and most dont even know its possible let alone how to make or use one ..... my hat is off to you. and the slate is a sweet call it purrrrs like no other but i seldom use one unless im guiding it requires both hands lol ....... im still intrested to see what others say but just the fact you mentioned a wingbone makes me amazed lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:43 pm 
Walleye

box and double reed mouth call... 10 years ago when the season's first opened in my area I was a calling magician... now that the local birds understand the whole hunting thing.. not so much 8)

I have found that using a real feathers on the decoys is as much or more effective than the calling.. I hasten to add.. my calling...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:08 pm 
Walleye Master

intresting again, decoys will work sometimes in NY but im hunting big hills and small mountin ridges where they have little to no effect but around fields and dug roads they serve a perpous I love a mouth call when a bird is in close usually to cluck or purr if needed also will use them to locate birds as well but not my call of choice when it comes to really working a bird Quakerboy Boss Hen is probably my favorite mouth call

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

have a really hard time useing mouth calls my uncle assasin made his own wingbone like call with a bottle cap and a pen sounds the same as mine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:43 pm 
Walleye Master

yep buck mouth calls take some time getting used to thats for sure whats nice is totally hands free and when the bird is getting close its hard to beat a cluck or yelp just when you need it most but cant afford to make any movement this is the best reason I can think of to learn how to use one but they sure arnt fail proof when yer cluck sounds like a putt you are in big trouble lol ......... one thing ive always found bad about a wingbone is its lack of range and the pitch is always the same no matter what and clucks and purrs are almost impossible ....... A good friction call is hard to beat weather it be a box or slate until it rains then a mouth call is almost a must

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:43 pm 
Walleye Angler

last season i tried those magnus bull head broad heads man those things r dangerous but to see a bird that close man is it ever cool im talkin feet in front of your blind its cool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:37 pm 
Walleye Master

Interesting you mentioned they aren't as easy to call anymore. I've found the same thing as they usually don't come running over like they used to in the early 90's when we were first able to start hunting them in WMU 71. I'll chaulk it up as well to them learning, not my calling getting worse... So now I usually carry a couple mouth calls, a box and a slate call. One of my favorite calls though is on my head. I like to "fly" out of the trees with my hat first thing in the morning while making a racket with a combination of calls. Barring noone comes over early to see what was going on, I settle down and wait until a little later in the morning when the hens have moved away from the gobblers then try a few different calls to see what makes them mad. Once I find the call that gets them excited, I usually stalk in so far towards them. When I get to a point where I figure I'm close enough and hopefully not too close, I'll pop up a jake and a hen coy and wait them out while softly using the call that got them excited in the first place. All calls have worked in the past on different days and different birds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:47 am 
Walleye Master

I think what you guys might find is the coyotes are keeping the birds less talkitive than anything. im from an area where turkey have gotten alot of pressure from hunters for many years but since the coyotes have become more prevelent the turkey talking has slowed way down april you used t o hear gobblers going on all day long now shortly off the roost they go quiet until they find big wide open woods where they will do much more gobbeling they seem to be alot less spooky when they can see long distance.
When you think about it it makes sence that if every time you carry on and gobble up a storm the coyotes come staulking in yer gonna be less receptive to give up yer possition so instead of calling out they just addapeted to staying much closer to the hens this gives them no reason to call out for mates its true one in the hand is better than 2 in the bush!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:35 pm 
Walleye Angler

got this one a couple springs ago turkey hunting came into about 20 yards of me

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:23 pm 
Walleye Master

Cool pic. I shot a yote 2 years ago turkey hunting, went about 400 yards further along the same ridge after that and bagged a nice gobbler an hour later. Had a blonde coyote try to "catch" my coy once. Last year one came up 10 yards beside my son and I. He didn't shoot it because 30 yards on the other side of him were the turkeys. The look on his face was priceless. He never got either and Dad had a good laugh at, I mean, with him.
I practice calling off my back deck and do get the turkeys to come over and say hi. Calling one day last year and 5 minutes later had 2 yotes right in my back yard. By the time I got the key, by the time I got the cabinet lock open, by the time I grabbed the .270...you get the rest.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:10 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I carry a variety of calls including a slate(aluminum), a double reed diaphram, but my go to calls are two box calls. One is clear and higher pitched (Quaker Boy Grand Old Master),while the other is lower pitched and raspy(Primos Heartbreaker). If one won't get them going the other usually will. Use the boxes to get them fired up and comming in and a few soft clucks from the mouth call to get them the last few yards and have my hands free. If the box calls get no response I go to the slate, and have 3 different pegs for different tones. I don't use the diaphram as a locator call, mostly because when I try to add that volume and yelp in a series some very strange unturkey like sounds come out. LOL. And cuttin' forget it....If I stick to the subtle stuff I'm better off.

Opening day of 2010 I had coyote's all over me. Saw two on the first set up and one on the second. The one I saw on the second setup was different coloured than the pair I saw earlier. I have no doubt they were comming into the calling, looking or a meal. I agree the Birds are gobbeling less and find you have to set up closer to the roost to get a chance before they shut up. I also found having a little more patience helps. Finding birds are still comming in, but silent. Got to stay real still, and I usually try to wait 20-30 min after my last calling sequence before packing up to move. Got busted by a few stealth gobblers before I learned that lesson.

I love being out in the woods that time of year, and my heart just pounds when you can hear that gobbler closing the distance.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:56 am 
Walleye Master

I hear ya. Deer hunting would sure be more interesting if bucks grunted at the same volume and frequency as a big old Tom gobbles!

Has anyone tried coyote hunting this time of the year using turkey calls instead of squealers? I've thought about it, but never tried it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:07 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I haven't tried it, but we plan to this spring. Going to hunt the birds in the morning then try a different spot for the yotes. I'm concerned that if we try that in the same spot we hunt turkeys that the birds will become too familliar with our calling.

Maybe someone can refresh my memory, as i can't find it in the regulations, but are we not limited to having one firearm in our posession in the field at once. I know it's legal in the midwestern U.S., as on Predator Quest with Les., but seem to recall it's not legal in Ontario. Might have to look into finding one of those old 12ga, .30-30 over unders for that, but it would be hard to leave my new shotgun at home. Anybody knwo the regs for sure on this one??? Thanks.

Bruce

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad