Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Coyote close encounter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:17 pm 
Walleye Master

All that talk in the turkey thread about coyotes got me me going out on the weekend. I spent Sat. morning sitting downwind with my buddy calling. We tried a few different spots and I tried turkey calling in one of them, but we never saw any.
I took my son out Sun. for the last half hour in the back forty and we sat back to back up on a dirt bank. He's 14 so we took the .270 and I let him carry it. We were talking inbetween calling and when I turned back to look out, one was running right up the bank straight at us about 10 feet away! Surprised the heck out of me to say the least. I stammered to my son how one was RIGHT behind him. By the time he believed me, jumped up, got spun around and locked on it was hightailing it out of there big time. He got a couple rounds off at it through the trees, but the coyote won that one.
We looked where he came to in disbelief and obviously he was surprised we weren't a wounded rabbit after all as we literally scared the piss out him. Every stride had a yellow streak in the snow!
After a bout of disbelief and a few good laughs, I got ribbing rights in as I joked how I put one right in his back pocket and he still missed. Needless to say, neither of us will forget that one for a while and judging by the grin on face, I think he's officially hooked on coyote hunting now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:15 am 
Walleye Angler

That was a close encounter that is for sure. It almost turned out to be a knife fight. :lol: that is not the first time I have heard of the piss thing happening after the shot. In fact I was just talking to somebody last week about that very same thing happening to them after the shot and missed a yote it pissed all over as it ran away.

True story==== > When I was 15 I was hunting in New Brunswick for deer and I was hunting with this old trapper and we were hunting on top of this sand quarry. We look down and see a fox running through the pit and the trapper says to me too shot it. I take aim and fire a shot about 100 yrds or so . I miss , but the fox jumps straighjt up in the air about 3 feet and then hits the ground and takes off full speed and I never got another shot at him. So we go over to where the fox was standing when I shot at him and look for a sign of a hit. And right there where he jumped in the air there is a little piece of crap there. And we both laughed and said I guess that is what they mean when you say. " I scared the s@#t out of them " :lol:

banner ad