banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Deer yards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:29 pm 
Walleye Master

I noticed the deer are coming out of their yards and into the fields now. Does anyone ever go out to see how many they can see?

Post subject: Re: Deer yards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Once i can't get on the ice anymore I'll have the spotting scope in the truck and start scouting the deer. Check out how they wintered. When the rest of the snow is gone from the woods I'll do some shed hunting as well.

My favorite place to go watching is Wolfe Island. Howe and Amherst are great to, but it's a little more exciting when you know that come fall you may be hunting those deer. It's absolutely unbelievable how many deer there are over there.

I hope this winter wasn't too hard on the herd, had some pretty deep snow along with some cold weather for a good portion of the winter. With the current coyote population the deer certainly didn't need that.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

Post subject: Deer yards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:56 pm 
Walleye

I saw four on way home tonight. South side of 401 just west of Port Hope.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:07 pm 
Walleye Fry

Ya im starting to see a lot too. I work in the GTA (unfortuneatley) and ive bin seein them along the 401 and in brampton.

Still exciting everytime I lay eyes on one

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:18 pm 
Walleye Master

Took the little guys for a scout tonight and we saw 59 in total. We also saw a flock of about 50 turkeys roosted in the trees, listened to the coyotes and got stuck in the swamp for a while. We had a great night out!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:24 am 
Walleye Angler

holy adventure 59 deer in one night , hey if you need a hand looking for some sheds just give me a shout. :wink: that is awesome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:05 pm 
Walleye

I assume ur cruisin the back roads of wooley swamp.......I grew up in Frankford and this time of year we would throw in a few sociables and tour the back roads around there. Used to see deer that would number in the hundreds and would not be unusual to see 100 at a time in 1 field. Were way more deer in the late 80's early 90's than there is now around that area. Still very exciting to see non the less. Can't get over the number of geese already returning. Lots flyin..........enjoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:20 pm 
Walleye Master

You recognize the fields then?? I thought sknkman might know where the first picture is.
I grew up on the southwest side of the swamp. Yeah, we used to see 100's around in the late 80's & early 90's as well. The most in one field was 16. Surprisingly we only saw 6 back in on the islands. BTW, that's where we got stuck, again, year after year... :lol:
Careful taking your sociables around anymore though, surprisingly we went through a ride check on the way back out from there just east of Gainsforth Rd. First one I have ever seen back there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:04 am 
Walleye Angler

on wallbridge loylist road they yard up in the woods there, across from the church on the stright stretch i counted 15-25 several times at night...

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:53 pm 
Walleye

that top pick kind of looks like the field right below the roundhouse on the corner.......used to be a plie of deer there in the spring. As a teenager i cut my teeth in on potts island in past charlie puddyphat's [ think thats how it is spelled]..... god it used to be wwiii opening day in there. The fields around the pig farm used to team with deer this time of year also. Ya sociables are a def no-no now-a-days ........ sippin on a couple used to be the norm back then tho.....lol.........take the fun outa everything......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:04 pm 
Walleye Master

Funny you say that. I told my little guys we were going past "the round house" However, the round house is now a "new square house". The were disappointed for not getting to see it. That and a ton of new houses on the roads around there. Charlie passed away last fall. I think his land went to the conservation authority??
It's not as bad out on Pott's as it used to be, not as many deer either though. I went in over the Beaver dam this year just to say I did and bareley a trail from the deer like there was 20 yrs ago. Still fun to go back there though and not so sure I would want to drag one back from there anymore either...
The pig farm is where we saw the turkeys. They should be breaking out of their winter flocks now too. I picked mine out for the spring as I hunt them just over the hill from there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:49 am 
Walleye Master

I dont think the deer in my area of NY have yarded up in the past 20 years I can remember years back in early spring seeing deer that numbered in the hundreds in one field drive 5 miles and see another hundred, but the mild winters i think has kept them from yarding up we just dont get the deep snows like we did years ago

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:45 am 
Walleye

Its funny you mention the beaver dam in on potts. There used to be a little tree stand in a tree just to the left and thats where i shot my first deer at the ripe age of 16. 6 point buy was as big round as he was tall. Looked like he should have been carrying a huge rack from his body size. I was so excited i remember hollering for my buddy who was in a tree stand along the swamp just before the "y". Pissed everyone who was hunting out along the sand dunes completely off cause of all my hollering....lol. I began hunting across that beaver dam to the right about half way down to the end. Did you ever wade off the end to that little island out in the swamp. You can see the big pine tree thats on the island from the parking lot. Bucks would tear it up every fall. And you are right , draggin a deer from way back in there would not be even a quarter as much fun as it was 30 plus yrs ago. Ya I heard old charlie had passed away. I can remember i think the first year we hunted in on potts the ministry still allowed him to run his cows back there.....deer colored cows...... lol. I can remember him and dad gettin at it a few times cause we would set up the gang for an evening sit and he would run his "Coon" hounds out there in the middle of the afternoon!!!!! The old man would get wound for sound. Dad used to hunt the Gunter property just around the corner from the pig farm before i was old enough to hunt.of course. Man this sure beckons up alot of good memory's...thanks for the post

banner ad