Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: big dog down
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm 
Walleye

Well I havent been out as much as I would have liked this season but yesterday it all came together nicely. Set up along a couple of drainage ditches facing a nice cedar bush. I set up the spinning decoy before legal light and set down about 20yds to the side. Just as legal shooting time came I see two black dots about 400yds away so I gave a couple squeeks on the caller and in they came. The closest one came to about 50yds and was getting real big in the scope so I dropped the hammer. The second one took off like a rocket, I took a crack at him at about 100yds but shot low in the dirt and he was gone.

Anyways big female down, 45lbs 8O a few less pups out there this spring, the turkeys will thank me...

Went to another property and got another crack at a yote, he spun around and did a flip before taking off. He crossed the fence into a neighbours field to which I have been told I cannot go on under any circumstances :( So unfortunately that one will rot in the field.. I hate anti's I hope the breeze blows towards their house all spring :lol:

Scope broke after the last shot so thats it for me till I get a new one mounted and sighted in on the .223....

Thanks for listening

RED

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

Post subject: Re: big dog down
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:57 pm 
Walleye Master

Congrats on the yote and thanks for the post. I just use a call but I've been thinking about a moving decoy like you were talking about? Do you think they make much of a difference?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:12 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I was hunting with a few guys from Crosby several years ago, and they were talking about "Jack" worked on coyotes. I thought Jack was a hound that another one of the guys was going to bring. Turns out "Jack" was a tonka toy sized remote control 4X4 truck which wore a rabbit hat. I'm thinking this is some kind of gag, but we set up on the end of a brushy point that ran out between two big fields. Jack was placed about 40 yards out on the crest of the hill and at a break in the fence between the fields. We start calling and soon enough 2 are loping in. Then Jack goes into action, scurrying back and forth across the fence break, and spinning donuts. Soon as they spotted him they broke out into a dead run, bee lining it right for him. We got one of the two, but what I really remember is how they were loping in, head up, looking and a bit cautious. Soon as they seen Jack it was like they locked right on and came in on a string.

We talked about it afterword and Terry told me he believes it works for a couple of reasons. The coyote is looking for something and when they see the movement it gives them something to focus their attention on, rather than scanning the area and busting you. Also he noticed that on days he left the decoy at home more of the coyotes would come in cautious, and attempt to circle down wind before comming in to the calling. When he used the decoy though, most of the ones that were starting to circle down wind would break off and come right in once they saw the movement.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:54 pm 
Walleye

yep the decoys make the difference, I paid a pretty penny for mine, about $70 if I remember. But have seen guys using cheapie remote control cars turned on their side and a wire attached where he removed the wheel with some strips of fabric on it and the dogs came a running. They just need the movement to lock in on. Check out the mojo predator decoys, same idea...

New scope mounted today and driving tacks at 100yds even with this wind today, so I am set to go out again :twisted:

RED

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

banner ad
banner ad